LSD Diff options on a LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Fasteddie

Guys,

we are rebuilding the diff on a '96 LS400 (UCF 20)...this is not the same as a '91 LS400 diff.
The Torsen diff doesn't fit in the "clock"....
We are thinking of changing the subframe to a 97 LS400 (vvti), which equals the Supra subframe...

Anybody knows which other lsd-diff does fit into the '96 LS400 so don't have the complete sub-frame ????

We want both wheels spinning...no mig diff :madfawk:
THX !

Has anyone read the whipple LS400 Hypronet is making?? He has an LS like ours w/ supra diff swapped. i asked a bunch of questions and it works! Its got some steps 9as expected) that make it a little morethana bolt on job but do-able nonetheless. I guess the supra turbo diff has 4 blt locations and a 4th on the early LS needs to be added. this means you will need to drill a 4th hole in the subframe and weld a matching nut to the metal to bolt the 4th location to. Once the whole unit is swapped the driveshaft needs to be modded. The Yolk needs to be adapted for the supra diff but thats it. i dont really want the high gears (4:10 I believe) so i might get slightly higher than stock (3:88 or so).

That seems like a bit of money! Does anyone know if cressidas are a g series diff, and they also have irs. If so that would make them compatible to the ls400 diff and that would mean the m70supra lsd would fit?

Guys Pm Lextreme as he should know the answer to this question.... The Supra torsens fit perfectly onto the SC400's as I am driving with one right now... Not sure about the LS400's..

thanks jibby haha we know Sc's straght swap... the LS has been a debate for some time now and I have not seen a single documented conversion except for Hypronet's.

ok anyone who knows the inside of an ls400 diff real well? 1st and 2nd pics are a g series ma70 supra lsd do they look like they would fit.
The 3rd pic is a cressida grande lsd which is also a g series which nearly looks like a bolt up proposition. Can anyone verify this

so the cressida on the far right will take a g-series LSD? If so then i think your close. I like how it has the 3-mount config. over the 4... makes install cake. Only answer to our problem I could find was a 97 LS swap but it require some fabbing for the 4th bolt hole. Def not straight swap.

I suspect a custom drive shaft with whatever choice is made so i wouldn't bother looking at the yolk. I would try and measure the 3 mounting locations and look for similarities with LS. the supra diff and 97 LS have 4 holes and it just looks apples from oranges but doable. I'm not a Supra expert but what year did the ma70 come in? and turbo or non turbo?

In the far right pic i can't see the lower mounting arms, maybe they bolt on the sides? The top mount thats visible in the pic looks like a close match but I can't see the larger lower arms that should e in there.

Hi guys
I have just updated my forum with the mods and pictures of a supra lsd torsion diff installed into a Ls400.
In brief
The Mod or change that we had to do to the diff, was just to change the rear covers over, so we can use the same mounting points in the rear of the subframe on the ls400

The subframe for the diff, had to have 3 mods done to it.

1) relocate handbrake brackets as origial location impeeds with the new mounting points for the diff.
2) create 2 new mount points for front off diff
3) Subframe lip is very close to the yoke and housing of the diff, so we had reshaded the hole lip and then re-enforced it. this is seen in the pictures that where taken.

The last section of the tailshaft, i had to get made up to suit the diff as the tailshaft bush is different from supra to ls400.

Pictures can be seen here
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?p=97711#post97711

hope this helps yous out

Cressida Diff

That seems like a bit of money! Does anyone know if cressidas are a g series diff, and they also have irs. If so that would make them compatible to the ls400 diff and that would mean the m70supra lsd would fit?

.. Yes, the '89 onwards cressida diff is a 'G' series and the cressida Grande had a G315 LSD...

cressida diff

yes... i had a 1990 cressida grande which had a LSD 'G315' and it worked fabulously well... it had 400,000km on it when it went to cressida heaven (2nd engine died of terminal head gasket issues) but the diff was still working fine, no noises.....

Is-f lsd

Yeah..... W.T.F. is it about Lexus and there anti-LSD B.S. ? my 1998 LS400 has 290hp and open diff....GRRRRRRRRR... even my 200hp cressida grande had an LSD...... poofter !