Locked engine

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Sudsy

G,day all, have searched all through this site but have not found anyone with this problem. I have a 1uzfe in a 37 Chev which has been running fine for the last 12 months and done approx 8000km's since it went in. I was taking it to have the trans flushed and got about 35 km's from home when it gave a bit of a shudder and wouldn't pull then i smelt burnt rubber so i pulled over straight away. Opened the bonnet and could see smoke coming from under the covers so i thought seized idler or water pump. Both were replaced before fitting the engine to the car but stranger things have happened. Got it home on a trailer and started pulling things apart but no joy with the front. Motor was solid. Pulled tappet cover of and found front cam bearing seized on both sides and second bearing just starting to nip. I didn't notice if i had oil pressure when it happened but has always been very goodand had just done an oil and filter change prior to this happening. Used Gulf western 15/40 and had normal oil pressure after service. I know that i have to tear the engine down to check everything but have just posted this to see if anybody else has ever heard of this problem before. If not i will reveal what i find when i get it stripped.

I have heard of several which have nipped up on the cam bearings. Normally after sitting for a while so a little bit strange to do after having the car running for a while. Cams will be the last place that get oil so there will be a supply problem somewhere. Cheers

Interesting to have a cam siezure.

When my last engine was built the guy who assembled it left the oil feed pipes off the cams.

It ran for nearly 1,000klm and the cam bearings are still good.

The new engine has them. I assembled it!

Well haven't got it totally stripped but removed the cam belt and cranked it over but had no oil pressure so must be a problem in the oil pump somewhere. Hope to get it out tommorow and see what gives. Unfortunately in the Chev it is a major job to get it out:dunno: :dunno:

not another one
yes ive seen it afew times tooo

front or rear cam bearing caps
especially the ones at the end of the oil feed chain
these are so tiny in size and any tiny grit thats gets in these galleries can block them and they dry up due to no oil and bang

lucky u didnt snap a cam
bad news is u can replace head or servic eit or just buy another enigne
and replace it much cheaper this way