Standalone ECU Link G4 Xtreme?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I'm becoming interested in these; anyone running one on a UZ?

How do you like it?

Tune it yourself or did you hire a tuner?

I'm trying to make sense of their specs, which are more marketing propaganda than engineering specs, (as most standalones do) but looking past that, it seems to be a pretty capable EMS.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Does it have dual channels for WBO2?

2. How many PWM outputs does it have? And are they logic level (5v) or 12v?

3. How many binary (on/off) outputs does it have, and how many are high side (+12) and low side (earth)?

4. Does the downloadable software give the user complete control, or do you need a special dealer version of the software or a "key" to do tuning?

I know nothing. Haha. Ill sit down later and answer your questions. For now - tuning software gives you full access. I tune them myself - does help I own a tuning shop with dyno. You can run twin wide bands. Plenty of inputs and outputs for an early 1uz - gets tight for a VVti one. Off to watch 4x4s then more info for you. Cheers

Ok Here goes. All the link ECUs have the same tuning ability. The differences are in the numbers of inputs and outputs. An example is if you are wiring a 16 valve 4Age with 4 injector outputs, 1 ignition(distributor) and two auxilary outputs (fuel pump and fan) you will get the same tune weather you use a Atom, Storm or Xtreme.

Extra fuel outputs and injector outputs can be swapped to Auxilary outputs on all of the ECUs.

Now onto the Xtreme or more specifically the Red series Xtreme. There is an older silver series which has peak and hold injectors so can handle low impedience injectors without the need for ballast resistors and has the drive by wire module built in so has auxilary outputs 9 and 10 which can only be used for DBW. These wires are missing on the Red series looms.

The Red Xtreme has 8 Saturated injector drives so can run high impedience injectors directly or low impedience with resistors. You can run more than one injector on each drive. 8 injector drives works well with 1uz

It has 8 ignition drives so perfect for 8 individual coils. It is possible to run a 16 cylinder with wasted spark. If running an early 1uz with 2 coils you can use the others as aux outputs.

Xtreme has 8 auxilary outputs. Aux 5-8 can act as a 12 volt output switch or earth output switch. 4 wire steppers must be wired to these outputs. These outputs cannot PWM above 300Hz except when used as a tacho. I believe these are a 12 volt PWM ( the tacho certainly is)
Some outputs can only be used for some functions.

The Xtreme has 10 digital (binary)inputs for things like speedo input, ignition switch , a/c request , p/s switch, Wheel speed sensors etc. These can be switched with either 12 volt in or earth in.

The Xtreme has 4 temp inputs generally for water temp and air temp and two others like oil temp , gearbox temp etc.

It has two knock sensor inputs so perfect for a 1uz and will work fine with the 6Hz factory sensors.

It has both a 5 Volt and an 8 volt regulated voltage output.

For analogue inputs there are 11. Two of these can be used for widebands through controllers and the link can be switched to average the signals from these. One is generally used for the TPS(main and sub) and one for the external Map sensor. Other uses for these are boost control inputs , cam feedback sensors such as those on the VVti motors and APS(main and sub) ( Accelorator position sensors) etc.

The tuning is downloaded from the internet free or chage and the full system is avaliable to everyone weather they are a home DIY or a full tuning workshop. No extra Keys or codes and they software gives you full access to all functions. You can even set it up to safe tune both fuel with a wideband and timing with the knock sensor function. Newer versions of PC link also contain firmware updates. You can download before you get the ECU. Many engines have Base maps avaliable but setup from scratch generally doesn't take too long.

I find them great as I use the ECU to modify signals such as speedos and tachos and they give precise tuning with plenty of extra corrections. I enjoy making everything work like factory like idle speed control and boost control. Setup is easy and the G4 platform is the best link yet. User confirable and work with most factory sensors.

Things to remember when buying an Xtreme is remember to get the extermal map sensor as it is purchase separately. I use a bosch IAT sensor for boosted vehicles and often a standard toyota on for N/a vehicles.

Presently we are using them on UCF20 VVti motors with an external drive by wire module and controling the VVti as toyota intended except being fully tunable. We presently have a atom , storm and extreme in stock.

Hope this has answered your questions and no doubt you will have more.

Cheers

I know nothing.

Hahaha, I wonder how many here are old enough to remember Sergeant Schulz saying that line (multiple times) during each episode to Colonel Klink after being outsmarted & outmaneuvered by Hogan and his Heroes? Great line & a great series.

Thanks for the detailed reply concerning the Xtreme. That helps a lot, especially concerning the PWM outputs and WBO2 inputs.

So to use a stepper idle air controller, we need either 3 or 4 of the aux outputs, so that leaves either 4 or 5 available, and any/all of these can be PWM'd to 300Hz, or used as simple binary switches?

Can the 2 WBO2 inputs be assigned for closed loop control of certain cylinders, or only averaged and then control all 8?

Yes thats correct on the Aux outputs. All can be PWM or binary outputs. At present the widebands average across the 8 cylinders. Having them on separete cylinders is on the work list but there are other more important stuff being developed by link.

And I am old enough to remember hogans heros. As Always "I know nothing" haha.

Cheers