Heads up: Cheap differential pressure sensor

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking for inexpensive differential pressure transmitters for years, but until just recently, they've all been over $250, which is a bit steep for a single sensor.

I've been hoping that with the advent of returnless fuel systems, some cheap automotive type DP sensors would become available, and it finally looks like there are:

Omega have just come out with this model: http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PX26&Nav=preb05

With only millivolt type output, some signal conditioning would still be required for it to display on gauges, but at 100mv maximum, it should be sufficient for an ECU to read on say a thermocouple input.

This would be ideal for a boosted application to monitor the "real" fuel pressure at the injectors. With one side referenced to the rail, and the other side to the manifold, you could tell if your fuel pressure was holding steady at high boost, or dropping off - a sign of a fuel pump with not enough grunt, lines too small, fuel filter plugging, etc.

Or if you wanted to get fancy, you could use it with a PWM controller and build your own returnless fuel system.

For the truly serious (or seriously anal) folks, you could put one of these across your oil or air filter to monitor plugging, or your whole intake system to look for excessive pressure drop, or your exhaust to look for excessive pressure drop there too.

Its temperature capability at 80 degrees C is a little low to be monitoring oil, coolant, or exhaust, but I've seen people loop small diameter copper tubing several times before connecting the sensor, and in this way the process fluid is cooled a bit before it hits the sensor.

And if you burn one up, it's not the end of the world - it's only $36!

Where do you find the time to try this stuff Cribbs ? :)

You think there will be much difference though in this 'referenced' rail pressure? Rail pressure is referenced to boost anyways by the reg so it will drop if the pump isn't keeping up or the reg can't meet the rail pressure requirements. Just seems to me a fuel pressure gauge should be good enough?

Measuring pressure drop across bits in your intake system could have some merit though...test that Chinese FMIC and see if it will match a big dollar HKS unit?

Where do you find the time to try this stuff Cribbs ? :)

While my engines are broken and being rebuilt!

Seriously, it would be nice to know if the fuel pressure is holding up under boost; yes you could use just a standard fuel gauge, but you'd have to compare its reading to your boost reading, then add 43psi to it, while driving and watching the road. Two or three things too many for me....

Even if you didn't put a gauge in, and just wired it straight into the ECU it would be interesting to know and datalog.

Yeah was thinking dyno rather than road :) I have a gauge on my rail which i keep an eye one during a new tune....thus far rock solid fuel pressure at peak boost but i do run x2 044 Bosch pumps :)

Cribbj and JBrady. Both of those guys have mega-ton of diagrams, pictures and other resources. I dont know where and how they find things.

We like the weird stuff.

On the subject of weird, has anyone ever heard of converting a UZ to hydraulic lifters? Now wouldn't that be an interesting project. :pokey: Oops, there's that secret handshake.....