gearbox adaptor plates.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Pro

okay guys here's your chance to get something out in the open.

if someone wants to measure :
1UZFE bellhousing
W58 bellhousing
R154 bellhousing

and provide ALL dimensions on a clearly marked and neat drawing (can be by hand - i can interpret things) and PM it or post it up via JPG, PDF - whatever - i will draw the two different adaptors in both a PDF and DXF/DWG format and post for all to use.

while you're at it you can also post up a sump flange diagram for those that need custom sumps.

for the gearbox plates i WILL need the shaft centreline to mate the two drawings, everything else will just need simple LxW dimensions and diagonals if possible.

the quicker we get to it, the quicker we can get some adapters made up.

Last edited by a moderator:
1UZ to T56 Gearbox Adapter (6 Speed Manual)

• what does this adapter do?
  • how can i obtain the file package?
  • what is included in the file package?
  • how can i get my parts machined?
  • what machining options are there?
  • what is the best material to use?
  • how thick does the adapter have to be?
  • do the raw holes need finishing?
  • do the finished holes need countersinking?
  • do i need the central locating shoulder?
  • can i use spring steel dowel pins instead?
  • will the input shaft align with the crank spigot?
  • what spigot bearing should i use?
  • what clutch release mechanism can i use?
  • what flywheel/clutch is this designed to work with?
  • is there anything else i need?

• what does this adapter do?
This adapter is designed to allow fitment of a Tremec T56 6sp manual gearbox to a 1UZ/2UZ/3UZ 4.0/4.3/4.7 Engine using the standard OEM ‘U1’ automatic gearbox bellhousing normally for use with the A340 seris gearbox (PN 35111-50010). though ather bellhousings are also compatible, including some from mitsubishi. It mounts between the bellhousing and the T56 gearbox and is centrally located to both ensuring optimal input shaft alignment within 0.1mm. There are TWO designs available to accommodate both the STD TR6060 version of this gearbox, as well as the newer 'Magnum' TR6060 edition.

• how can i obtain the file package?
The file package can be purchased here at v-eight.com (via paypal) at the following link: http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1328 (std version) and here http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1326 (mag version) , or alternatively through ebay as a ‘buy it now’ auction. Due to the costs involved in running the ebay listing, that price is unfortunately slightly higher
• what is included in the file package?
The file package includes a series of descriptive .dxf files that explain both the use and specific machining instructions for the parts, as well as simple .dxf files for the machinist to upload to their cutting software/hardware
• how can i get my parts machined?
Its up to you to find a machinist or fabrication facility capable of this kind of project. They will need to offer either water jet, plasma cutting, or other machining facilities capable of handling 10-12mm thick steel material with a cut of good finish quality. The equipment will need to be compatible with .dxf file formats for CNC coding of machine paths.
• what machining options are there?
This adapter can be made 2 ways: one way takes advantage of the U1 bellhousing’s 215mm central locating shoulder, and the other way ignores it.
The advantage of using the locating shoulder is that the adapter becomes axially ‘fixed’ by the shoulder so the centreline of the input shaft is unable to be assembled incorrectly, and once assembled, the adapter cannot move out of alignment at all.
If you chose to ignore the central locating shoulder, you are then dependent on the individual bolts to maintain overall axial alignment. The tolerances of this adapter are such that the amount of potential movement you could expect when relying on the bolts for axial alignment, as well as fixation, would be very very small. That said, we recommend the use of spring steel dowel pins in the bolt holes to remove any question of unexpected movement.
The only added complexity of utilizing the centrally localizing shoulder design is that an extra piece (file 'c') needs to be cut by your jet cutter, and this piece then needs to be assembled and welded into position within the main adapter. The added cost of fabricating this third piece is not great, and this is the preferred method of locating the bellhousing. The non centrally located design is slightly easier to fabricate, and with use of spring steel dowel pins, offers very similar assurance of overall axial alignment stability.
• what is the best material to use?
Any of the commonly available medium carbon steel alloys. You may also choose to fabricate it from any number of fancier chromolly steels should you have access to that material at reasonable prices, but we'd advise against using aluminum.
• how thick does the adapter have to be?
This depends entirely on which gearbox version you get your hands on. OEM versions have differing input shaft lengths, and how long the input shaft is, along with adapter thickness will determine how the input shaft engages the spigot bearing in the back of the crank. For the purpose of this FAQ we will discuss the Std GM (LS) gearbox with a 165mm input shaft length.
- On a UZ engine, for this gear box to adequately engage the spigot bearing when using a U1 bellhousing + adapter, the overall depth of the bellhousing and adapter assembly together should be 174mm. The U1 bellhousing is 154mm deep, and so the adapter needs to be 20mm. The adapter is comprised of 2 main parts 'a' and 'b'. To achieve this 20mm overall thickness we'd suggest fabricating part 'a' from 8mm steel sheet, and part 'b' from 12mm. These dimensions can obviously be altered to suit different input shaft lengths and other specific requirements.
- For a JZ engine, due to the different crank position relative to the back of the block compared to a UZ engine, the overall depth of the bellhousing and adapter assembly together should be 161mm. If using a J3 auto bellhousing for eg (the longer 138mm bellhousing compared to the much smaller J1) then the adapter should be about 22-23mm thick.
As for part 'c' the locating shoulder, this is not critical, and we would suggest a thickness of 12mm. this will then be fit inside part 'b' and offset to the bellhousing side about 4mm, producing a 4mm shoulder on that side.
• do the raw holes need finishing?
Yes. All the holes in the adapter files are undersized, and will require final finishing. Some require simple drilling for through fixation, other will require tapping. All instructions for each hole are described in the file package. Generally speaking 8.6mm holes need to be finished to M10, and 10.4mm holes need to be finished to M12. there are 2 dowel holes and these need finishing to 9.5mm.
• do the finished holes need countersinking?
No. there are no fouling holes on this adapter assembly
• do i need the central locating shoulder (part 'c')?
No, you don’t ‘need’ the central locating shoulder, however it is one very reliable way of ensuring correct and stable axial alignment of the installed adapter.
• can i use spring steel dowel pins instead?
Yes. Instead of fabricating a locating shoulder from file 'c' and welding it into the adapter, you can simply install spring steel dowel pins into the bolt holes, and let these engage and locate the bellhousing. This avoids more slightly more complex fabricating of the adapter, but requires greater attention to the final assembly of components
• will the input shaft align with the crank spigot?
Yes. This adapter locates the input shaft to within 0.1mm of true centreline, and to the correct depth to adequately engage the spigot bearing in the back of the crank
• what spigot bearing should i use?
The required spigot bearing is part number 63002-2RS. this is a 13mm wide bearing (3mm larger than stock) and we'd suggest installing it into the back of the crank the regular 10mm, leaving 3mm proud.
• what clutch release mechanism can i use?
Simply use the OEM hydraulic clutch release mechanism/slave that is normally supplied/used with the T56 gearbox.
• what flywheel/clutch is this designed to work with?
This adapter is not flywheel specific, and can be used with any commercially available, or custom designed specific use flywheels. The clutch is then specific to the flywheel, not to this adapter.
• is there anything else i need?
You will need bolts/hardware to assemble the components together. We’d recommend grade 12.9 metric socket head cap screws, in M10x1.25 and M12x1.25. Please see file 'd' for further details.

Attachments

• PIC00420-resized.JPG
    PIC00420-resized.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 846
Last edited by a moderator:
okay i have contact rms for the DXF files for the 1UZ bellhousing pattern.

i need to know if anyone out there has an R and W box that they can pull some measurements off. i don't need radius but i need LxW for curves and my machine can work it out from there.

i have the basic bellhousing bolt hole positions only, but i REALLY need the curves and outlines.

even if anyone in WA has an old bellhousing they can drop off to me over the weekend for me to measure, i would be grateful.

cheers.

that's all well and good re input shaft depths.

1JZ R154 = 170mm
all W58 = 150mm.
1UZFE A340E = 156mm

R154 shaft is 14mm longer than the UZ bellhousing, so a 16mm spacer "should" be okay if your flywheel is the same thickness as a 1JZ flywheel.

7MG R154 input shaft = 195mm required but 7MG bellhousing is still the same as 1JZ.

i still get no dimensions for tranny side or bellhousing side. i have bolt hole positions, but no radius dimensions.

i need a bellhousing to measure up.

i have trawled v-eight for what i want, and they don't got it.

massive thanks to autronic for supplying the

sump flange DWG

and

T5-1UZ adpator DWG.

i now have the radii needed to set up any gearbox bolt pattern supplied.

i will still try and get a hold of a bellhousing and get busy with a 1UZ bellhousing to trany adaptor plate for both W58 AND R154..

thanks again Trond.

if you still need anything off a R154 i have one i can mesure up. although i dont have internet at home till saturday.

that's all well and good re bellhousing depths.

1JZ R154 = 170mm
all W58 = 150mm.
1UZFE A340E = 156mm

R154 bellhousing is 14mm longer than the UZ bellhousing, so a 16mm spacer "should" be okay if your flywheel is the same thickness as a 1JZ flywheel.

7MG R154 input shaft = 195mm bellhousing depth required but 7MG bellhousing is still 170mm.

i still get no dimensions for tranny side or bellhousing side. i have bolt hole positions, but no radius dimensions.

i need a bellhousing to measure up.

i have trawled v-eight for what i want, and they don't got it.

Hi there are you sure that the R154 bellhousing is only 14mm longer than the 1UZ bellhousing ?? i have just had a look and got my tape out the R154 is 155mm long and the 1UZ is 195mm long so where are you geting the 14mm from ??? if this is right you will need a 40mm spacer to mate the 1UZ bell to the R154 Box

Hi there are you sure that the R154 bellhousing is only 14mm longer than the 1UZ bellhousing ?? i have just had a look and got my tape out the R154 is 155mm long and the 1UZ is 195mm long so where are you geting the 14mm from ??? if this is right you will need a 40mm spacer to mate the 1UZ bell to the R154 Box

no i'm not sure on bellhousing depths - hence why i need some bellhousings to measure personally.

the input shafts are different lengths - and they are the measurements shown here (pulled from v-eight.com) from the transmission case to the front of the input shaft.

sorry i should have been clearer with that - and have amended my post to suit - but lets just get these DXF files together and drawn before we jump into any fabrication yes? :)

if you still need anything off a R154 i have one i can mesure up. although i dont have internet at home till saturday.

R154s are the hardest to get a hold of so if you would be so kind as to measure the bolt hole spacing and dimensions where the bellhousing meets the transmission case (and where it meets engine if you would as well...?) - as well as the bolt hole positions surrounding the input shaft on the inner position of the transmission case - it would help immensly.

the critical point here is the centreline of the input shaft in relation to bolt hole spacing.

a photo of each would also help, as well as letting us know if it's a 7MG or 1JZ R154 along with the input shaft length.

thank you so much for the offer - it really is very much appreciated.

8)

okay to summarise, we have so far

1UZFE > T5
1UZFE > T56
1UZFE > TKO Tremec
1UZFE > R154 (being measured)
1UZFE sump flange
1UZFE header flange
1UZFE CAT flange

awaiting

1UZFE > W58
1UZFE > V160