Fly wheel bolts and crank

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Big

As the title says...I just pulled off the flywheel to what I thought was going to replace the main bearing seal..!! ( I also have to replace the thrust bearing-it's nackered..too much foreign shyt in there from the - no fork boot,crank cover being on-wasn't part of the kit-it's fixed now though)when I cleaned off everything, I thought I would just pop the flywheel on again and start her up to warm to double check where the oil leak was..Well I was quite surprised to learn that it was coming out of where the crank bolts bolt the flywheel on(I only put 4 bolts in seeing the Gbox was not on)..I got me trusty old lamp and climbed right under and I saw that the crank threads are right through..you can see either the thrust bearing or Main bearing inside the block....Has anyone else noticed this?
My question is..I had Locktite on the threads of the bolts..knowing now that it leaks..should I just use high temp silicon..? or is there another product that will be as good or better..?:shrug: cheers in advance..Keri

When i bought flywheel bolts from toyota it had a orange compound on it,i just assumed this was a thread locking stuff to stop them coming out,maybe it was a sealer.

I would do the main seal while you are there anyway,you know it will leak as soon as you put it all back together,its murphy's law.

Yes, they are thru holes at least on the cranks that I have seen.... A sealer is normally used from the factory, its actually a locker and sealer... IIRC, loctite makes a thread locker that dubbles as a sealer too.

Thanks guys for the advice..Just thought it was strange that the holes went through the crank..I'm going the change out the seal anyway just to make sure it's not that while I have the flywheel off...cheers

Thanks guys for the advice..Just thought it was strange that the holes went through the crank..I'm going the change out the seal anyway just to make sure it's not that while I have the flywheel off...cheers

Yeah, definitly change any seals engine and trans while you are in there. I learned that one a long time ago. Had a rear main leak, pulled the tranny, flywheel, ect... put a new seal in. 2 weeks later, I noticed another leak coming from in the bellhousing but this time it was gear oil, so had to pull the tranny again and change the front seal on it.

Oh, one other thing to add just for knowledge purposes, thru holes on cranks and other parts are quite common... This is because its easier on machine setup and production. With a blind hole, depending on how deep the hole has to be tapped, often the tapping shavings will stop the tap from going to the bottom of the hole and thus has to come out, be cleaned out and restarted. This takes time and a slight risk of messing up the threads. If a thru hole is used, then there is no shavings to stop the tap cause the fall out of the hole ahead of it, plus this also allows you to use a plug or taper tap insted of a bottoming tape and this is easier on cutting for the tap and thus the tap lasts longer.

Ah haa..thanks Chris,I'll file that away for a rainy day..and yes I've used the loctite Threadlocker Blue 243 I think off the top..replaced the rear main seal,also rubbed the crank with 1000 grit emery paper to rub off any rust,dirt that was on it..,used Lithium grease around it,also used a copper based gasket sealer to reseat the housing to the block..it's rated to above 310 deg's..why I used it..Had to modify a supra thrust bearing and carrier..due to it being 3 mm higher than what I had..Just poped the top off and swapped it..went easy and looks just like new:scool: so weather permitting..I'll have the tranny back in the hole ready for fire up tomorrow night..:)cheers Keri

I guess that's why we do it:popworm: ..for the LOVE.:stickp4: ..hehehe And I think there is only a few of us who do...we must truely be a weird bunch...hehe:headbang:

There's a few more. Lextreme, JamesN, and I started pulling my motor & tranny out at 6 a.m. The sky was still dark. We got it out in 1.5 hours, then headed to take a breakfast or early lunch if we call it. Then I got home and slept a little bit more...LOL. I never had to do this in my life, but it was really fun. You guys are too extreme..

When my engine first fired up at 7.00am and just before leaving for work my wife appeared in the garage carry 2 glasses of champagne.

She knew the fire up was close and had a bottle stashed.

She wasn't as exited as me but she was happy. Perhaps she thought she would get her husband back. Nah, wasn't going to happen, cars are too much fun.

Oh we drank the bottle then went to work (together).

Another 6 a.m. for me! :Eyecrazy: Mr. Lextreme just asked me to come over his house to work on his car this Sunday...I don't know why he wakes up so early. A true hardcore that beats me to the bone!

Rod,
Your wife thought she'd bring you back when the car fires up? You're a lucky man. At least she still wants you...:eek:uch:

Steve.....LOL so whats the news? finishing touches on the SC570??? ( god I just wanna see those custom badges:biggthumpup: ). As for me, my procharger gets it's first startup in a solid month. Bone dry head gaskets for a week and running strong. Tell Lex we need more pics of the 5.7 to cry over!!!

Rod

Aside from my Snap-On sponsored dream garage, an enthusiastic GF/wife is really high up there. Probobly more haha.

""""WHEN YOU ARE SINGLE, YOUR POCKETS WILL JINGLE""""

haha I feel it...My wife says after a few months..LOL stop being a Garage whore.:Eyecrazy: .hehe..I give her a bit of lovin(doin stuff around the house,with the boyz,-wink wink nod say no more:saeek: ) and everything is cool again..LOL
Rod, If only my wife gave me a glass of champers :friday: when I started her up..I wish..LOL
I've sleept in and now I got to put the drive shafts on,realine the Gbox to the xmember,cut some rust outta the chasis,dig the garden over and replace the soil,mow the lawns,wash the cars..x3 zz all before 6 pm...Wish me luck..LOL Cheers..And then ..only after all has been done..I might get some action...haha...cheers Keri

Yes, they are thru holes at least on the cranks that I have seen.... A sealer is normally used from the factory, its actually a locker and sealer... IIRC, loctite makes a thread locker that dubbles as a sealer too.

We used black FIPG on crank bolts when I worked at Toyota.