Faster than a GS350? Better value than a Genesis 5.0?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

FredInTornto

Hi,

New member here and am busy reading the various threads. I suspect my questions are already answered so thanks for the patience as I locate them. If you wanted to point the way that would be great. Or if you wanted to wait a few days for me to find the answers on my own and then add any details that is also much appreciated. But I did want to at least say hi and let you know what I am looking for in case I ask the occasional question in the various threads.

I will add to my own thread as I find the answers.

I Iive in Toronto, a busy Northeast city so we have cold and salty winters, warm summers and lots of busy highways, semis, and potholes.

I don't drive that much but I still want two vehicles. I already have a cheap, fun, reliable, slightly rusty, manual coupe for the Winter. Now I am planning my RWD Summer car and hope to have it bought and driving for next year.

On my consideration list are things like Mercedes E and S models, Genesis Sedan 5.0 and several others. I love lots of manufacturers but won't pay for any brand name or status but I will pay extra for something I just plain “love” to drive. I don't mind older if it is still reliable and am not tied to a particular manufacturer or country of origin. So, a used Genesis 5.0 is probably tops on my list currently at a pricepoint of US$15-20 depending on the mileage. They are still a bit new though to find one a lot cheaper and I suspect they are reliable long term but don't know that for sure. Also, buying used parts on a fairly rare car is not ideal. But the Genesis is still a great car to consider and is seriously on my list.

I just turned 60 and am consumed by watching Youtube videos of home upgrade projects. I know the projects are tougher and more expensive than they appear online but so are kids and look how many of those are around. 

I am thinking of an Automatic Sport/Luxury RWD Sedan with a budget of US$10-20.

I would prefer to pay 10k, will probably end up paying 15 and if I fall in love with anything might go up to 20. If I could save some money by buying from Copart and fixing any issues myself or bolt up a performance mod that would be great. If it was more than that and I needed to involve a pro mechanic that is fine so long as it is cheaper or better overall in the long run.

An SC 430 is too small and an RX is too big. An older GS or LS with some modifications might meet both my wish list and my budget. Maybe I could make it faster or cheaper than a Genesis 5.0 AND have something with more style?

OK, some questions. As I hunt on Lextreme and ask for your suggestions, will I find something that is:

1) Faster than a GS350 at the same price point and still reliable?

2) Less expensive and has more character than a Genesis 5.0 but is still as nice to drive?

3) More reliable and cheaper to maintain than an S63?

4) Could I refresh, re-dye, replace, etc enough items on an LS 400 to make it look anywhere as good as a more modern LS?

5) I know I can turbo an LS 400 and I know I can upgrade the transmission to have snappier shifts. But does it still stay reliable and can the tranny handle the increased power? The Diff as well? Could I make it awesome for under $10k? Cool yes. VIP style no are my tastes.

6) JDM 2JZ-GTEs are pretty expensive these days. Is a DIY NA-t CX Racing turbo upgrade do-able by a patient Newb with only hand tools, no van or pickup but a decent tool rental store near me? Will I save any money compared to JDM gte install?

7) Which turbo upgrades for an LS400 make sense for this same newby? And what should be done in the ways of transmission, intercooler, etc.?

Finding the answers here is the reason why I joined Lextreme.

I look forward to reading about your vehicles and maybe see some of them Post Covid.

Thanks,

FredInToronto

I have read several threads. It seems like to 2JZ-GTE swap into Cressdia, IS300, and GS300 is the most likely to succeed, and best return one a persons investment of time. If you already own a different vehicle or have goals differntn than mine then many others make sense too. Refreshing an LS400 or even purchasing and keeping in good repair a later model also seems to make sense. Hope everyone is well and their projects are working out. Cheers