coolant & excess pressure

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dannyboy77

hi all have converted a 1uzfe in a surf and all is going swimmingly but when off roading the coolant hose from the engine to header tank i have put in blew off. when reclipped it on it did need bleeding but there was a lot of air and the pressure build up in the top and bottom hose and the engine cut out. have taken the thermostat out and left the rubber o ring in the housing and when it seemed to be a temp it was leaking from there. put a new working thermostat in and the same happens the pressure builds up the filler cap on the top hose wants to release pressure (1psi cap) and the header tank connected to the engine fills up to the top and then the engine cuts out. i thought there might have been too much coolant in as im not sure how much is in it so i drained a few litres out the radiator when i started it again the pressure built up in the top and bottom hose with little coolant and the header tank filled up?

any ideas folks??

Don't focus on what the absolute values are, but look for consistency. A worn engine will have lower compression than a new one, but all cylinders should read about the same, ie plus or minus half a bar or so. If you find a couple that are off from the group by a bar or more, chances are you've got problems there.

The compression test is good but sometimes isn't conclusive. In the US we have a kit that will test for the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant circuit. It's very handy for detecting a blown head gasket, and it's conclusive. Obviously if you've got combustion gas leaking into the coolant system, there's something wrong!

Try a Google UK search for "block tester" or "combustion leak tester"

Here's one hit I found on eBay UK for essentially the same kit we use in the US: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BT500-TEST-TO...796791&cguid=0c3165fc1260a0e202839103ffa8f767