Bad Oil Leak in front of motor!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GrahamB

Yellow Belt
I have oil pouring out of front of motor...appears to be coming out around crank pulley, however pouring out after oil pressure gets up...like 45 seconds after motor starts...and continues to run out after motor turned off. Any ideas...Cam seals maybe, but whta else is under there??

Regards,
Graham

If the oil is leak directly behind the crank, then its most likely the crank seal. Cam seals are on the front side of the engine. Perhaps you can check your powersteering fluid level and look for leak from there. If you are loosing PS fluid, then its possible u have a broken high pressure PS line. Its most likely not the case unless u ran over something very big.

Attachments

• soarer dyno.jpg
    soarer dyno.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 7
Well pulled it down today and the crank seal appears to be OK. Question is can I pull the oil pump assembly off while motor is still in car? It appears that I cannot get the larger of the 2 sumps off. But can I undo the 4 bolts across the front of the oilpan and then undo the bolts that hold teh oilpump on and slide off or is the oil pickup bolted to teh oilpump assembly?

I recently installed an oil pump along with the oil pick up pipe. Its seems like it would be very difficult to take out the oil pump with taking the oil pan and the upper part out.

no joy in that task. Can you get the motor out of a Soarer alone or is it easier motor and trans as one unit??

Either way ...maybe time for a rebuild as what I suspect has happened is thta the main oil gallery is blocked and this is forcing oil out from the outlet of the pump and forcing it out behind the pump to the external world. Another reason is that the left hand distributor rotor is melted along with the left cam oil seal so suspect lack of oil causing overheating of cam bearing.
Gets worse huh?

I think perhaps your problem is not as big as you think it is. Perhaps its cheaper to get another engine then fixing it. At least in the USA that is....

Yes I am starting to think that...price is around NZ$1400 for 2nd hand import motor...condition unknown. Just priced up gasket sets...head gaskets $275 each and top overhaul set $595 NOT including head gaskets.
What sort of price are you paying for gaskets??

Graham,

Pulling just the motor is a bit of an effort.

The worst part is undong the torque converter bolts.

If you pull motor and trans you also have the rear coupling on the trans to release.

I'd be inclined to take the engine/trans out as one.

Either way you'll learn new ways to curse.

I've done the engine/trans removal as a unit but not just the engine.

There is a seal on the oil pump that seals between the oil pump and the oil gallery. Perhaps its bad. We have a rebuild it for that engine and I think members pay $325 USD. It has everything.... and I mean everything... Its very unlike the oil gallery is block. Perhaps you should test the oil pressure when your engine is on.

The motor will come out relatively easily. Replacement motors are easy to come by. I normally pay around $1400-1500 for a complete conversion setup with ECU etc. You could get a celsior engine and swap your soarer bits onto it(sump, manifolds etc) as these are pretty cheap to buy. Complete cambelt, seals etc when it goes in. I have two soarer motors on stands in my shop at the moment. I think you should flick the motor out and pull it apart and check it over. May not be as bad as you think. Cheers