A341E autobox question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dannyboy77

Hi all have a bit of a problem with the A341E autobox. I have recently put the 1UZFE and autobox in the surf and have the lexus combination meter in and using the surf speed sensor 1 (& lexus magnetic 4 point speed sensor 2 to run the lexus ECU) to work the speedometer however I found out the pulses given out from lexus speed senor 1 to the lexus combination meter is 20 and the surf only give 4 per revolution so I am getting a 1/5 of the speed reading on the head up display, that’s not the question just a bit of background.
The problem is after the car has been travelling for 20mins of so, so up to operating temp the autobox decides to change up gear from O/D or 3rd to say 1st 2nd for a bit then decide to find a gear it could be OK after that or play up for a bit then settle, if I take the O/D off it does seem to be OK
Any ideas I have been running the car for a few months now and only has started to do this in the last few weeks.

if u take overdrive off what do u mean drives ok
will it still go down and up gears all wya to overd

when overdrive is on so this means o/d off light is not on
the ecu sends no power to solenoid a and b
so im guessing u might have a sticky solenoid when trans oil temp gets hot
when it does it tell me what gear it will automatically select and i can tell u what solenoid is faulty

could also be a speed sensor porblem but i doubt it

when i press the O/D button so the O/D light is on and 4th gear (O/D is not selected) it seems to be fine bit it is starting to do it in 3rd momenterally but it does go through 1-3 gears fine after that

when it does go faulty it wants to go to 1st then after a moment it starts to go through the gears to to 3rd

it does seem to do it when gets hot was going to fit a seperate oil cooler but if a solenoid is faulty i guess thats not going to solve it? will also disconnect speed sensor 1 to see if that solves it

As sideshow says the problem will be a solenoid in the trans so run a DTC check and see if the O/D light flashes. Surf speedo sender has nothing to do with the shift control, if and it's very unlikely this were a problem firstly you'd loose the speedo and it would log a DTC for the VSS with obvious engine performance problems. If either SS1 or SS2 where a problem you'd have slow/late shifting and probably a lack of O/D as this takes an input from SS1 (which tells the ECU how fast the torque converter is turning) SS2 is output shaft speed and in the instance of being in a 4wd is irrelevant to vehicle speed as that way the trans will still shift correctly even if you are in low range.

Another point to consider is what trans fluid are you using? DX3 can and does cause problems with the 1UZ auto and more notably second gear becomes an issue

Attachments

• IMG_2721 reduced.jpg
    IMG_2721 reduced.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 233
It's prob not a speed sensor prob but afew conversions
Where u have to bolt transfer on back of 1uz gbox
U can come unstuck
U see u need to fit the 2 wire rear speed sensor from orig
Ext housing to the 4wd transfer or u need to wire up the speedo sensor to ecu somehow and in a surf like they have done it is confusing
Anyway toyotas need atleast one speed signal otherwise
Gbox stays in first so with conversions and alot of guys not knowing how speed signals work it can cause issues
But they would be not so on or off as he is describing
Nissans work much better than toyotas as they dont rely
On speed signal to change gears

Bang on sideshow. Like you I do a lot of this and got one or two waiting in the wings to sort out similar probs with.

Anyhow where a lot come unstuck is they try to use the Surf output shaft and two pole sensor which the 1UZ ECU won't talk to hence a box full of first gear (or neutrals). The VSS hook up is easy if you can find wiring diagrams for the Surf (which I have and are available for download http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=14&p=4 reference 110, there's also a lot of other useful info there too) also with wiring up the ECU if you have pinouts for both the Surf and your donor car it's merely a matter of matching them up and away you go. VSS wire on Surf is blue with green trace. Now even tho I've strayed off topic here the same issues are apparent if you're fitting a 1 or 2JZ.

And yes Nissans don't rely on additional speed sensors for shift points, they use inputs from the TPS and VSS itself and if you have access to Consult 3 you can go into the ECU and change shift points from '03 on, This seems a bit odd as aside from the tiptronic boxes they have basically the same Jatco box in them.

Back to topic unless it's fired a DTC as it has run fine for a while I think the place to start with solving this problem as I've already mentioned is to find out what fluid he's put in it. Wrong type will cause the seals to leak and also frictions to come apart which in turn can jam the solenoids (usually you loose reverse and 2nd before that happens).

i use alot fo speed signal adjusters which usually overcomes
mixmatched signals so usually i an make any gob signal work
just adds a fair bit to the price
surfs take twice as long as basic 1uzs to wire up
u need to rewire the electric transfer back in
and alot of other stuff which u normally dont in a 2wd or a manual transfer case
makes the surf conversion expensive especially if u wire up the o/d light wot work properly and bk sig to ecu and tacho to be accurate
most guys wont spend the money soo these days i say ok bye tell someone who cares
im over dealing with idiots especially now my wife has very good job and i just cruise thru the day working on jobs i actually like and not jobs where they bust my balls
i drop of kids at 8 am and pick em up at 445 pm
so i work easy hours now and loving it

Reactions: Ade
i dont need surf manuals
i make my own hand drawn
sheitloads better than anything toyota bloody have

ive also stopped replying to stupid emails form guys on here
im just over it all heheheeheh
especially ones form overseas wanting to explain stuff and sell parts
ive sold afew parts to guys in usa and they diidnt want em so i got them returned and paid them money back so these days i just read email and say fk it and press delete
heheheheh man its so not worth helping anyone these days
they just fk u over and over

Mate the funniest phone call I had was from Vladivostock. Dude had bought a Surf in Japan and the front half of a Celsior and wanted to know how to put it in. Was a Nuclear engineer on a Typhoon and I have no idea how he found my ph no but he made a nice job of it in the end.

You do have one advantage over me. You're an auto spark and I'm an Automotive Engineer so what takes me a week to do would take you a matter of hours. Yet I strip each loom and remove what is now redundant wiring and then integrate the 1UZ wiring into the Surf loom to achieve what looks like and functions as a factory install right down to the fact that the whole thing will talk to a Modus. But for the way I want to do them I use the factory wiring diagrams. And once wiring is done it's a matter of "plug in" and "Turn key" and also means if they decide to remove the 1UZ and refit an efi diesel it's "Plug" and turn key. one I did recently is here http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22262

He's been asked at a couple of shops where he got a factory V8 Surf from and there is no Body lift fitted I think that the air intake is a bit of a give away tho and every part is a bolt in and available anywhere

ive also stopped replying to stupid emails form guys on here
im just over it all heheheeheh
especially ones form overseas wanting to explain stuff and sell parts
ive sold afew parts to guys in usa and they diidnt want em so i got them returned and paid them money back so these days i just read email and say fk it and press delete
heheheheh man its so not worth helping anyone these days
they just fk u over and over

Jim, you've always been an asset to Lextreme, but if you don't wish to be contacted with "stupid questions", why don't you turn the email option off in your Profile, and remove your ICQ link?

Jim, you've always been an asset to Lextreme, but if you don't wish to be contacted with "stupid questions", why don't you turn the email option off in your Profile, and remove your ICQ link?

I had the same thought but didn't like to make that comment

hhehe i had afew calls from usa but didnt answer them as there is afew fake things going round from overseas where if u answer it they reverse charge the call to you automtaically when u answer it
anyway ended up being company in usa asking me if i want to pay heaps of maoney to get top listing on google search when people look for wiring
i said y would i want that i already get top when u search for ls1 ls2 stuff

anyway i was a mechanic for 10 years doing conversions then started doing just the wiring and had to learn most of it myself so made me learn it so much better and make sure to take notes and as i tell everyone its easy to get motor going
its getting the fiddly stuff to wor and diagnosing
99% of people dont know how to and thats where half my emails come from
so unfortunately most get deleted hehehehe

Attachments

• P1010002 (Large).JPG
    P1010002 (Large).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010005 (Large).JPG
    P1010005 (Large).JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0676 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0676 (Large).JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 2
Same here Sideshow and the funniest one was a call from Vladivostock. Guy was an engineer on a Typhoon class sub and just wanted a few pointers. He made an absolutely awesome job of it.

Funny bit was we actually knew each other as he had turned up in my home town working on a cable laying ship in 2000. This is how small the world is.

Anyhow Sideshow I've been a mechanic for 25 years. I've in the last 2 years taken to doing my own wiring and ECU rebuilds as to outwork that sort of stuff is money out. Plus as far as I know there is only you, Venom and I that can wire a 1UZ into a Surf/4runner and make it look and function as per a factory build

I've heard someone got a STD surf box to work with a 1uz
I can do it but no one wants to spend money
I don't worry bout competition anymore as I've seen everyones work
We do alot of Holden stuff and specialized tuning withthem these days
Hardly do any 1uzs these day
Maybe one a month
Got a 1uz loom at work and its fkt

90% of plugs broken
Told him 500 bucks extra to fix plugs and retape
Harness cause they stripped every piece of conduit
On harness
I really can't be bothered at moment with it
If I knew owner tried to do it himself
Maybe I should have said ring samsdad or venom
As it's a massive job to get perfect again
And I won't send anything out unless it's perfect

Just kidding there
Wish I could buy new plugs for a 1uz
I'll have to stuff up a good 1jz harness
To fix this one so not sure if its worth it

It can be made to work but only using the UZS131 Crown ECU and early lN130 auto as they both use a separate control for engine and trans. But you know that already and yes no body wants to spend the money. Yes wish I could get new plugs for them too....

Would be good if we both ended up on the same side of the country one day to share stories over a beer and BBQ. I reckon we'd both be telling the same ones..

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1100.JPG
    IMG_1100.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 38
I'm pretty sure I can get orig surf 2lt auto to work with orig surf auto ecu as it usually has downshift problem
Just finding correct part is hard