99 LS400 vs. 333hp BMW M3

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Here is a story from last year but it is a good example of how things can happen in the real world that many would claim impossible...

Lexus holding off an 333hp BMW M3 convertible!

I was stuck in heavy traffic eastbound on 90A out of Sugar Land waiting for a lane to open when, I see a 3 series BMW with the distinctive M hood bulge pulling up on my tail... a beautiful brand new black convertible.

I get an opening and move ahead but the bimmer didn't. No problem as the traffic was too heavy anyway. Well, a few miles down the road I while I was stopped, waiting to turn left onto Dairy Ashford... up pulls the M3 right behind me. Now this turn is a tricky one to take fast as it rises quickly over train tracks and then has a blind right sweeper around tall bushes. It is also a turn I know very well and enjoy a "sporting" attitude when negotiating it! Green arrow, I am off and leave our German friend WAY back. It appeared that he was just out for a Sunday cruise, no problem, nevertheless, he had just watched a big Japanese sedan disapear from his Bavarian view through just the kind of road his car should LOVE.

As luck would have it I caught the next light and had a familiar black car in my rear view mirror yet again. From his previous driving I was not expecting a race but decided to select 1st gear anyway (VSC and A/C were both off already)

Green light and I gave the V8 about 2/3 throttle and watched the rearview... I guess he had had enough as he was right on my bumper instinctively I went to full throttle and expected him to go around me BUT... not the case... I actually widened the gap a car length (he probably wasn't expecting my move) and I rapped out 1st, 2nd and changed to the right hand lane shortly after hitting 3rd.... SURPRISE!! the gap had BARELY changed!!! He had gained MAYBE a 1/4 car on me. Looking down I saw 80mph (in a 45) and was nearing my turn so I lifted. He had remained in the left lane and did a "german" fly-bye! and then quickly tagged his brakes but continued north. I would be VERY interested in hearing HIS story! I am fairly certain he was thinking WTF!!! If he posted any of this on a BMW board I am sure he said something like "raced a Lexus on nitrous today"...

Now, some are going to say that the M should have eaten my lunch... honestly, that is what I expected... was he really trying? I decided to check out the facts at http://www.bmwusa.com/ under M3 convertible it shows vehicle weight at 3781 vs my apx 3900, it lists 0-60 of 5.4 vs my 5.9, BMW peak power of 333 @ 7900rpm vs my 300 @ 6000 but the interesting data is his torque peak is 262 @ 4900 vs mine of 310 @ 4000. (both my LS #s are +10 over stock estimates with my intake mod) Now, at mid rpms, where most of this race took place, his car was making an average of apx 260hp vs my average apx 280hp. His has less drivetrain loss and better tranny and final drive ratios. BUT, I had a slight jump and the differences between these cars was NOT enough for the BMW to overtake So, in the light of anything can and does happen on the street... score at least a partial victory for Lexus

PS. on this section of road there was NO other cars either in our lanes or the oncoming lanes OTHER than the one car in the right lane at the stop light and he was QUICKLY rendered mute.