96 LS400 vs. 300ZX on the highway

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

OK, to add some content here I will post a couple street stories...

This one is from about 3 years ago when I had my 1996 LS400. That car was not as fast as my 99 LS400 but had a great highway kick around 70mph... I would say it felt stronger at that punch than my 99... this is due to the gearing where the 1996 downshifted to 2nd gear at up to 70mph and held it to about 77mph (from memory) which gave it a good kick. My 99 drops to 2nd at up to 55mph. At 70mph it doesn't downshift from 3rd and the punch at 80mph is higher in the rev range and feels better.

Anyway... here is the story... from Feb 26, 2001

On the way home from my girlfriends last night a 300zx non-turbo decides to pace me at 80mph, I speed up a little and so does he, I slow down and so does he. After a few miles of this I give it a quick 80 to 85 goose then let off. Sure enough, he drops the hammer, I give him 1/2 a car before I drop it and by 100 I have him by 2 CL's. I let off but he doesn't when he gets 3 CL's ahead I drop it again and am back to his bumper by 120mph. My tires are 80% gone and I just saw a fatal accident last week SO 120 was enough. If I had stayed in it I would have had at least a CF by 130. Kinda surprised at how well I pulled on him. I am sure he was surprise to be TOYED with by my big LS, great fun. Shopping for tires now and intend to TEST the reported 156mph top speed of the 95-97 400s.