200 MPH Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Here in Texas we have a standing start 1.0 mile time trial race called "The Texas Mile". Website is here: http://www.texasmile.com/

This year the Unlimited Street Class record was broken by a 1995 Toyota Supra, owned & driven by fellow Houstonian Tommy Banh who clocked 201 MPH.

Tommy's Supra is a well assembled collection of fairly standard upgrades, starting with a stock short block (I think), but with a GTS 74 turbocharger, HKS 272 cams, and a 75 shot of nitrous. (I believe this is his latest setup)

The only thing that went faster than the Supra this year was a 'busa! The closest thing on 4 wheels was a 2004 'Vette at 175 MPH, followed by a 2005 Ford GT at 173 MPH

John Hennessey's Viper came in at 171 MPH.

Not bad for an 11 year old car that some folks mistakenly believe is only a dyno queen :veryhappy

p.s. Forgot to add that anyone is welcome at this event, so if you think you really have a fast car, come on out! Next races are in October.

That clip is awesome. I still don't know why some people kept saying Supra doesn't give realistic result. I don't have a Supra but I read a lot about it. It could be monsterous on the tracks and streets. As I read somewhere that there're several Supras already broke that 200 mph mark. And some even ran 8 seconds in 1/4 mile. My experience is that I drove my friend's '91 turbo Supra a few times, all I felt was my butt got pulled to the seat so quick. Sometimes, I even felt the car pulled quicker than the gravity of my whole body when I sat on the passenger seat.

As we all know it's relatively easy to make big numbers on the dyno, but getting a good launch with a 6spd Supra at a drag strip requires a fair amount of skill. Plus, many of us just don't care to subject our cars to the abuse that a drag race entails.

Where the Supra was really intended to shine, and does, is on a road course, but here again, not that many Supra owners want to put their cars out on a track with the attendent risks of crashes, insurance cancellation, etc.

So bottom line, most guys throw some bolt on mods onto their cars, drive them down to the local tuning shop, strap it to the rollers, make some big numbers and have bragging rights, without breaking much of a sweat. This is why Supras have gotten the reputation of being dyno queens, but in reality they're a very versatile hotrod platform for both the dragstrip, and especially road racing.

John

Honestly, being in a supra that can do over 200+ is not a big deal really...... I think most any built supra can achieve this.....that is if it is built right... The problem is having the balls to do it :)

The supra is one of the best all around street/sports cars ever made......period.

Dan

Just to clarify: doing 200 mph in a -standing- mile is a lot different then topping out at 200 mph with whatever length of road you need. For example, a Supra with ~500 rwhp can hit 200 mph, but it will not do 200 mph in a standing mile.

Very true. A stock Supra 6 speed with the trac fuse removed can do 175mph top end. However, the best recorded standing mile for a stock Supra is just shy of 149 mph. That extra 50mph is a monsterous difference.

Eric

cowboy bebop said:
Very true. A stock Supra 6 speed with the trac fuse removed can do 175mph top end. However, the best recorded standing mile for a stock Supra is just shy of 149 mph. That extra 50mph is a monsterous difference.

Eric
Eric/Andrew,

I know it is a huge difference............. But let me ask you this.......... Most supra's that are not built for only the Strip........just built supra's in general........ figure the 800whp and up ones...... street or street/track cars.... once you hit your boost it doesn't stop till there's nothing left...... i just cannot see that once you hit boost, it cannot be all that long before you can hit 200mph....... i mean, the majority of all supra's i've seen at the tracks can hit high 130's or 140 trap speeds..... how much more space is needed for the extra mph?

I guess what i am saying is it does not really surprise me that the supra is capable of doing 200+ mph in a mile from a standstill......... a tremendous feat in itself, but the Supra is just that good.

Dan

Perhaps a 800 rwhp supra would hit 200 mph in a standing mile. In that video it seems like Tommy is not really "hitting it" until 80 mph or more. It's also quite likely he ran out of gearing somewhere around there unless he raised the rev limit quite a bit. With the proper gearing, aerodynamics, and tires, that car is probably capable of 250 mph top speed.

i cant remember where i saw this, but ive heard that a built 2JZ can take almost 10000 RPM, and a 3.4L Stroker can take about 9000.

Not quite. It can take a quick blast, but it is in no way advisable. The stock 2jz rod ratio is 1.65, and the 3.4L stroker ~1.45. These race teams push there motors to the limit weekly, yet it would be very irresponcible of them to make any endorsement of spinning a motor that high. HKS themsleves say only to spin the 3.4L stroker up to 7500.

Eric

I didn't think the Supra's had it in it...

I suppose you can question if it is really a Supra, why? At 200 mph I dought they are running on the Supra drive train...Don't think the V160 tranny can wind out to 200mph..Although if the engine rev's to 10,000 rpms who frigg'n knows...

Would love to this style of event and with my 2.92:1 rear end the car is well geared for it...theoretical 403kph :) Would have no doubt lost my doors by then but should crack 300kph pretty easy, has seen 250kph on a back road was was very stable.

We had a once off event like this in Oz but as one car crashed into a wall (dumb dumb dumb organisers) killing the driver there's been nothing since :(