1UZ, A340 Auto tech, bigger sump, extended breather etc.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hungryforinfo

So I had to pull my gearbox as the front (TC) seal was leaking. I thought while it was out I would make some inroads into modding it. I have it in a 4x4, so up the beach it would be working much harder, temperatures would be much higher, and internals would be under more stress.

I already have a large aftermarket alloy cooler, but the sump capacity is very small. I also drive through creeks and stuff so needed to raise the breather on the box to stop any potential water ingress.

Pretty easy stuff to do, I simply got an old Toyota Hilux/Surf auto gearbox, (blown up) A mate gave it to me for free, as it was taking up space in his driveway.

I used the breather from that and the sump.

I chose to modify the standard A340 and mate it up to a Nissan Patrol Y60 transfer case, because I had the auto for free, and I could make the adaptor myself for under $100. Plus it was easier than mating up the 5 speed, and would be lighter, and allow me to be lazy when I want to.

The two sumps side by side, as you can see, same bolt patterns. Right hand side of Surf sump (DS in aus) has additional clearance to allow for front driveshaft at full bump. It is the one at the top of the screen.

IMG_2157.jpg

Difference in height of the two sump pans. The sump adds nearly 2 litres of capacity. More capacity means more fluid, and the box should remain cooler for longer, or be able to work much harder for longer.

IMG_2158.jpg

The Surf sump had no magnets in it. I added 4 of the magnets from the 1UZ's A340. To pick up metal filings and any unwanted sump gremlins.

I thought about dropping the pickup down into the sump further so it would get fluid even on steep angles (4x4ers subject thier vehicles to extreme inclines and as a result it could leave the pickup high and dry, when climbing or descending a steep hill resulting in blown gearbox) I tried unsuccessfully to mate the surf pickup, it is TOTALLY different.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

Extending the breather is quite simple, standard breather is located in the centre of this photograph, remove it and put the surf one, put a piece of rubber hose on as long as you need to. I am running mine into the air box (air filter housing) which is sealed to the snorkel, which intakes cold air from up above the windscreen.

IMG_2166.jpg

I thought long and hard about modifying the filler neck, it would not be a difficult proposition, simply cut your filler off where it turns 90 degrees out of your sump and cut the Surf one off at the same place, weld the 1UZ pickup onto the Surf sump and you have the same filler, but it would be about 35mm lower....

Anyways, I decided the quickest and easiest would be to shorten the dipstick and plug it straight into the short filler straight on the Surf sump.
LOL. Being in a 4x4 and with plenty of space around it, I can get to it quite easily and its not a problem for me. I worried initially about splahing and stuff, but the O-ring seats tightly, so I dont envision it being an issue.

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

You can also see in these pictures just how much higher the sump is, some of you car guys might even scrape this sump along the road.

You can see in the previous two pictures the 10mm alloy plate which allows me to bolt the transfer case directly to the a340. I captured the six bolts for the factory outputs and grabbed the two outside ones, which normally remain unused, on the 2WD versions. If I ran into problems, I have a spare gearbox housing and could drill and tap a further 4 bolts into it. But I have given it plenty of curry without issues.

The drain bungs on the sumps are also different. 1UZ one says T-II, the Surf one recommends DII. Strange. I put the 1UZ fill bung back on my gearbox.

IMG_2169.jpg

You can also see in the above pictures I kept the standard output housing and milled 10mm off it (in a lathe, bit rough and ready but worked perfectly) This allowed me to keep the standard speedo outputs and run them to my digital dash.

Im modifying my engine sump at the moment, to increase capacity by a couple of litres, and will post a thread soon. I am also changing the engine oil pickup so that it sits deeper into my sump and putting some clever baffling in.