1991 LS 400 Timing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

shatcher80

I have a 1991 Lexus Ls400 and recently had the fuel pump replaced. Low water temperature light kept coming on for about two weeks, always filled it with water but couldn't find the leak. One day car just runs completely hot so I pull over at a gas station and have it towed to a mechanic shop. He tells me my water pump is gone bad, needs to be replaced and also he would replace the timing belt since that would have to come off as well. After two days everything was put back together but car wouldn't crank and spark plugs were not getting spark. I suggested he redo the timing because car was runnning fine before the timing and water pump were changes. Now in one week and the work is finished the car will turn over but will not start. The mechanic explains to me that he has done the timing twice and assures me it is correct. Went by there yesterday and he said the spark plugs were wet but once he dried them off they continued to get spark but car wont fire up. He is puzzled and not sure what the problem can be. Any suggestions?

What codes is the ECU throwing?

Missing a tooth or two on the timing is extremely easy to do, especially if the procedure isn't followed to take up the slack in the belt.

Possibly the wiring for one of the cam sensors or for the crank sensor itself was damaged in putting everything back together? That's fairly common and has happened to a number of us here.

My LS runs w/o a cam sensor (not very well) but it does. However if I try and test a crank sensor and accidently touch both wires together the engine shuts off immidiatly. If the crank sensor isnt right, the car wont run. Doing a timing belt on the uz involves taking the entire front of the engine apart, lots of parts to put back.

Like Cribbj said, pull codes and go from there.

Codes

Pulled codes and they are:

12- RPM signal no. 1
14- Ignition no. 1 signal
15- Ignition no. 2 signal
24- Intake air temp sensor signal

Can anyone help?