12 psi on stock 1UZFE, Is it safe?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

I'm currently building a turbo system for my SC400. I'm thinking about changing out to thicker steel head gaskets (with 100% stock internals) to be safe for around 12 psi of boost.

I don't know if it's possible for this engine with stock head gaskets to withstand this 12 psi. If it's possible, then I'd stay with the stock head gaskets to save the hassles. I might pull out some timing and save the stock head gaskets. I've run 9 psi safely on stock Honda engines, which are relatively weaker than this 1UZFE. Has anyone tried more than 7 or 9 psi on this 1UZ with stock internals? Did anyone have to pull out the timing at all?

Any info. is greatly appreciated.

I'm currently building a turbo system for my SC400. I'm thinking about changing out to thicker steel head gaskets (with 100% stock internals) to be safe for around 12 psi of boost.

I don't know if it's possible for this engine with stock head gaskets to withstand this 12 psi. If it's possible, then I'd stay with the stock head gaskets to save the hassles. I might pull out some timing and save the stock head gaskets. I've run 9 psi safely on stock Honda engines, which are relatively weaker than this 1UZFE. Has anyone tried more than 7 or 9 psi on this 1UZ with stock internals? Did anyone have to pull out the timing at all?

Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Hi mate, i think there is one guy on here think his name is justin!! and i think he is running something like 12/14 psi ..........there is a post somewhere on here with his setup :/

I ran 10psi on a stock motor, and I melted a piston, "BUT" i wasn't pulling any timming. I think a stock 1UZ can handle more then 12, but it has to be tunned correctly.
I did run about 8 psi with just extra fuel, and the car ran pretty well.

Forget the thicker headgaskets, get in on the standalone group buy instead!

Attachments

• 109-0982_IMG.JPG
    109-0982_IMG.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 109-0983_IMG.JPG
    109-0983_IMG.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 109-0988_IMG.JPG
    109-0988_IMG.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 109-0992_IMG.JPG
    109-0992_IMG.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 109-0995_IMG.JPG
    109-0995_IMG.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 109-0989_IMG.JPG
    109-0989_IMG.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 35
As stated by others, 12psi with proper tuning will hold up, but the only thing that I have to add with that is this is true as long as you are not beating the living hell out of it evey time that you drive it if its a daily driver.

Again, its all about the tuning!!!!!!!!

run an intercooler, boost on a 10:1 without an intercooler is asking for it. I think everyone that is turbo is running an intercooler.

Thanks, guys. I'm installing an intercooler as well. As Chris has run 8 psi safely with only extra fuel, then I think at least 10 psi is doable. But no matter with thicker head gaskets or not, 12 psi will definitely need tuning and some timing to be retarded. I don't know yet by how many degrees. As you know, retarded timing is a must for mild boost and up, but it's also not favorable because hp will be lost. Here's the link to my current project: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031

What exactly I need to tune the engine by my self if I am using the stock ECU under 8 psi .

i.e How to retard the timing ??

What exactly I need to tune the engine by my self if I am using the stock ECU under 8 psi .

i.e How to retard the timing ??

If you want to use the stock ECU, then you need to buy a piggy back (MAP based probably best) and wire that into your ECU. Pain in the ass really and fairly rangi solution.

Justen is running 17psi I believe on a totally stock, unopened engine and making 388rwkw 520rwhp (not its true output as it was wheel spinning on the dyno) though he is using an Autronic SM2 standalone. Don't attempt to put 12psi through a stock motor using the factory ECU or even a piggyback. The reason his engine is holding together is because it is very well tuned.

I wonder if he will up the boost at the next dyno day, maybe 20psi Justen?

Justen is running 17psi I believe on a totally stock, unopened engine and making 388rwkw 520rwhp (not its true output as it was wheel spinning on the dyno) though he is using an Autronic SM2 standalone. Don't attempt to put 12psi through a stock motor using the factory ECU or even a piggyback. The reason his engine is holding together is because it is very well tuned.

Yeah I hate piggy backs, but if he wants to keep the stock ECU, thats the only way I know how it could be done. If well tuned you can get a decent result, the Apexi SAFC is an example of a product that seems to have some success on some high HP applications, the EVO is an example I personally know of. I dont know of any on a 1UZ though...

I hit 500 on 17psi with an SAFC

Took 3rd place in the V8 and above with power adders At NOPI in Atlanta Last year.

Could you give some more info. on Justen's setup, or a link perhaps?

Morris,
Yes, was 17 psi on stock engine, or what have been done? I know David has been running 1 bar to 18 psi daily on his built motor.

No it wasnt stock, it has been fully built with forged internals and ARP studs.

I only mentioned it as a way of saying that the SAFC will work