Wow im F**Ked hard... Need help.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

RedPhoenix

So I just finished the starter on the SC400 (what a pain).

I started it.... and I hear tap tap tap real loud. I guess something feel into my intake plenum when I was working on it and I didnt catch it.

Im ****ed, where do I even go from here? How small does the item have to be for it to go pass the valves and onto the piston?

another 3-4hrs to pull all the **** in the way to even see if I have to pull the heads.

Damn it. Any help?

Matt

How fast are the tapping sounds? Are you sure about dropping something in the intake? If some drop in the intake, the it will make its way to the combustion chamber and will damage your piston and valves. Basically,,,, you are F. If that is the case... forget the spending 3-4 hours. More like a new engine.

How fast are the tapping sounds? Are you sure about dropping something in the intake? If some drop in the intake, the it will make its way to the combustion chamber and will damage your piston and valves. Basically,,,, you are F. If that is the case... forget the spending 3-4 hours. More like a new engine.

I would have to say it is as fast as 1 valve going up and down.

Sounds like something (a nut) might be trap with the valve area. Cant get out and too big and too heavy to get into the chamber. To save time, you can leave the injectors and upper intake attach to the lower one and take the whole thing together.

are the injectors sitting in the holes properly i had a hard out knocking sound turned out to be the injectors not sitting properly sounded like a big end bearing was stuffed just a thought

Given the amount of lift of a standard cam about the only thing that could pass through a valve is a washer.

I've seen them fed straight though engines and also seen them fed staight through pistons.

Don't run the engine.

If you're positive there's something in the inlet tract pull the manifold and check.

Use a magnetic probe to ensure each port is free of any obstruction.

Nothing beats being able to see the valve without any nuts bols etc down there.

It's amazing how many stones end up sitting on the intake manifold and in the valley. I'm often amazed at the crap that builds up there and if it falls into a port and them into the cylinder it wouldn't be hard to have it imbed into a piston. Heres hoping you havn't done that kind of damage - good luck.

I pulled the intake crap again. I looked into what i could see and I didnt see anything inside the intake valves or what i could see of the piston...

now what?

could a tapping sound be caused by something else besides dropping anything in the holes? I dont see anything and I dont remember anythign falling in. I also plugged the holes as soon as I pulled the lower manifold the first time.

are the injectors sitting in the holes properly i had a hard out knocking sound turned out to be the injectors not sitting properly sounded like a big end bearing was stuffed just a thought

care to elaborate on this? how was it sitting? the sound?

RedPhoenix - That absolutely sucks and I feel for you...If it's the heads that are making the noise, just remove them, fix, clean. replace even if necessary... Easier said then done...

Try removing the spark plugs and see if one has been beaten up - if it has then there is definately something in that cylinder. It may also help veiwing into the engine. Also once the plugs are out turn the motor over by hand and see if there is a tight spot. Good luck

I don't know how much money you want to spend, but you might think about picking up a borescope to have a look at your pistons. I think Grillot's Garage and other hotrod boutiques have them.

McMaster-Carr's catalog has one for $250 with an 18" long cable, and a 2.7v halogen lamp on the end. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search on this P/N: 6589T3. With something like this, you could easily get into the spark plug holes and have a look at the tops of your pistons. You could also snake it into the intake & exhaust ports to see if there's anything loose in those.

If you know someone at the local Caterpillar dealer, you could try to borrow one of their professional borescopes.

Welp, its been real...

The starter project turned into 1 big giant nightmare. The motor now has rod knock and I have no clue how this could happen...

Jake came over and we tore it apart and didnt find anything good, but when we started it again, same sound. concluded it is rod knock from either cyl 3 or 5.

No good

had the same **** happen to me.. rod knock on 5th conrod. chewed up the bearing and f****d up the whole engine. Just get a new engine.. I find mine cheap on craigslist.org or the automotive recycler websites around the midwest where I live. Hope you work something out. :sgrin:

Here are those sites- you might have something like this your way.
Illinois: http://www.illinoisautorecyclers.com/inventory/retail.htm
Iowa: http://www.iowaautorecyclers.com/
Minnesota: http://www.autorecyclersmn.net/
Wisconsin: http://www.carsofwi.com/
Missouri: http://www.matronline.com/inventory/retail.htm

Probably something not lining up with your starter that you just replaced, ring gear teeth hitting the new starter and wearing in???

sometimes the ring gear has 1 little spot weld securing it to flywheel, if its hitting the starter it could be felt through the bottom end. Check your old starter, see if there's any abnormal wear on the throw-out gear teeth.