Why do old farts buy fancy sportcars?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
In my experience, Porsche owners are one of the first willing to race. I think they only go if they think they can win.

People buy a car like that because they can afford it. Would you take a Chevy Cavalier or a 996?

When I made my first reply to this post that "it's because we can", it wasn't completely sarcasm or humor.

In defense of us "old f*rts", when you've worked hard for 30+ years, bought houses, supported families, and put kids through college, eventually the time comes when you realise you're closer to the end of the road than the beginning, and you'd like to do something special for yourself while you still have the time (and hopefully the finances).

Shrinks like to call this the male midlife crisis because some guys dump their wives and get themselves a sweet young thing for their new toy, while others buy that boat or airplane they've always wanted. Many of us, however, just go for that previously unobtainable car - maybe (like in my case) it was the car of their teenage dreams.

So I personally think this phenomenon about us old f*rts driving the exotic cars is more about our trying to have a little fun in our later years, after a lifetime and career of providing for others, and it's "because we (finally) can".

To Cribbj:

Amen, brother cribbj. Rememember though, the original "episode" took place in Elay (LA), a place suspended from the rules of reality, so my earlier description of doinks/twits driving exoti-cars still has validity in that arena.

yeah, i've driven sh*tters for too long, and finally bought a Boxster. My LS is just an expensive Buick.

Hello Jibby;

As I said in my first reply: life ain't fair, and those with the money get the best cars....whether they can drive them or not.

Also, just driving one of those cars isn't the same as getting it repaired once it's wrapped around a telephone pole....remember the rich moron that trased a Enzo on PCH?

m

Raminduction - I do remember that Enzo crash on PCH.... What a shame.....Didn't that guy die?

E-solver - I have a fully restored and modified ancient 1992 SC400, however it looks and drives like new......I have been oh so tempted to lease a new Z06 Vette for the longest time. I have also seriously considered the LS1 swap into my SC400 but really don't have the work area to get it done where I currently live...I was also a little concerned about the instument integration on the swap of that magnitude......Simply said 300whp with the help of Nos is starting to bore me......400-500whp would feel just right.....Buying the Vette would mean I would have to sell my SC4 and would probably get only peanuts for it..I do not have enough room for another car and not enough garage or backyard area to perform the LS1 swap on my SC4 at this time.....That is my story...

I do have the built up tranny in and might just have to boost my 1uz......I found the supercharger setups to be weak and small for the SC4's and Soarers. The garrett GT35R single exhaust turbo is probably the most logical choice for me at this time.....This is a pic of my current Sc400 sporting 300whp or so....

Oi!!!!!!

I read the title of this thread and felt a little uncomfortabe as thought it might be aimed at someone around my age.

Then I just checked out the autor's age....

Date of Birth:
March 4, 1968 Age:

Bloody hell Jibbbers me lad, you ain't no spring chicken, and you're older than me!!!!! Where's your Mid Life Crisis mobile???? ;o)

Oh and buy the way, the answer to your question is that a proper Porsche driver isn't going to 'race' you from lights to lights. The discussion's been on here before, but straight line racing isn't proper racing, it's one particular element of the whole. Now try and keep up with a 911 around a circuit and your '1000bhp monsters' that keep cropping up in threads will be no where!

I have a 1000kg 525hp with nitrous Cobra in the garage and I still maintain my daily hack '92 Mk2 Golf Gti 8valve is more fun to drive mile per mile.

Skid - You my friend are correct, I am no spring chicken by any means, but not an old fart just yet either....This is how I see it, when you are staring at 40 years of age in the mirror and realise your best physical years are now behind you, you begin to get pissed off and need to vent.

Now skid there are only two ways to make yourself feel better: number one, is too start drinking and forget about your age all together:alcoholic: or number two, is to stop whinning about it and start picking with even older folk to make yourself feel younger while experiencing this mid life crisis crap........

Just kidding of course...

Seriously, I was just curious as to why the old timers especially in my neck of the woods elect to drive these fancy new sportcars and never ever hit the gas? Wouldn't a true luxury vehicle be the more logical choice for these older folk?..I was also looking to get a few laughs with this thread in the General Forums Section...I know I got a good laugh from some of the replies, I just hope I didn't offend too many people...

Dang man, pretty hard on these older folk jibby. It would be weird seeing someone mature like my father street racing, i wouldn't know what to think. I think he got it out of his system in the 60's when he owned a jag mark II, xke, pontiac gto and regulary swapped the xke with a friend for crazy drving stunts in his ferrari 250 gto. I am 23 and already feel guilty about loathing over making a fast car and realizing maybe that period in my life is ending, although i still plan to make a fast one, but i won't be hunting down people with aarp cards unless they first make a move on me.

It really is "because they can". One of my neighboors has a gen5 vette. We were talking one day & he tells me, "You know. This is a young mans car." I told him not at all. When asked, I explained, no young man can afford a vette...
Same for everything else like that. The core audiance isn't the young, it's the upper middle aged. Only group that can reliably afford one.

Jibby,

I'll take you to task for your comment "life isn't fair"

Life tends to repay those who put the most in. Most of the people you describe as lucky have only become well off (I won't say wealthy) by hard work or taking large calculated risks.

In my own case I was 37 and the company I was working for had gone bankrupt. I was now unemployed and had a substanitial mortgage I couldn't repay.

I borrowed a small amount of cash from my parents and pulled off a management buy out, with two partners, of the bankrupt business. 16 years later I had bought out the partners and sold the business for a large 7 digit figure.

I wasn't lucky because if it hadn't worked I would have been bankrupt.

I took a calculated risk ( I knew I could make the business succeed) and reaped the benefits. It took a few more big calcculated risks to become well off.

I believe the "harder you work (physically or mentally) the luckier you get"

WD - Just having fun with the older guys...You are just a young man at the tender age of 23 and should not be giving up on your horsepower dreams just yet...Don't give up man!!!!!

Zuffen - I never said life is unfair, I just said it seems unfair that these 80 year old Doctors and Lawyers are driving these cars and not putting them to any real good use....

Hey, I too have worked for everything I own and have today...I Started in construction when I was in college, got out of college and was tired of crunching numbers at an accounting firm shortly after..I quit that job and applied for a lesser paying job at a property management company and then witnessed all these older property owners getting rich really fast and receiving these huge monthly rental income checks... I hooked up with a good real estate brokerage and property management company fully knowing that it had some movers selling properties..I was hoping to find a deal for myself....I befriended all the brokers and sales agents, took what little money I had at age 25 and invested in a fixer upper house...I Rebuilt it and remodeled my first house myself...Bought it for $134,000 in 1994 and got it appraised a year ago for $950,000...It's a shame I took one too many equity lines out on that property to invest more and enjoy life, but that got me started anyway...I then learned the big money was to be made in Commercial real estate investing and not residential real estate investing..Took money from the equity in my first house to pay for a vacant land only lot. I had to pay all cash for it...I Got my hands on this vacant commercial lot in Down Town LA for $150,000 in 1996, built a small structure in the rear myself got it zoned and started a used car lot business off of that property...I hated the business, I felt like a used car sales man which I was...Sold the business for 50 grand and leased the land for what is now bringing in $5,000 per month income... I Later started a construction company to repair restaurants at night which I got litereally tired of running and sold that a few years back.... I did lose a lot of cash in stocks during the crash years back, so I am not as paid as it sounds...I am now getting by and trying hard to start a new Import/export business....

Zuff - I fully understand that usually what you get out of life is what you are willing to put into it...If you want money, love, health, etc.. it all takes work and determination....Traveling the world in my late 20's was big for me, as I realised making and having money was not the key to true happiness. That was hard for me to figure out growing up in LA... When I was in Costa Rica with a tribe of Indians for a month getting food poisoning and malaria I got a chance to hang out with the happiest people on the planet. They were all broke and living off the land in mud houses with no electricity..Kinda like the Omish....Man but they were as happy as can be, it took me back some.......I can go on and on...but don't want to put anyone to sleep.....Anyway hard work and determination does payoff, and traveling the world helps with soul searching...

You answered your own question and didn't realize it; you're in L.A. man, the most image concious society around, and cars are the way to be seen around town.
I can recall hangin' down in the marina a few years back, and seeing retired people cruising in convertible Mercedes AMGs, thinking about how "under utilized" the drivetrain must have been.

From an old fart

Hey Jibby,

I'm 60 years old and if you happen to be in the Leesburg GA area, you might want to think twice about pulling down on my street driven 71 240Z...if the conditions are right, I'll do my best to let you see if you can read my license plate....from a distance, of course. :eek:)

Wayne

I am trying to stay away from this thread since I am still considered young compare to most of you. However, if money is not an issue I would do the same too. They drive nice car because they can afford it and buying expensive toys defferiate them self from the average person. That is what rich people do. Things they do and purchase to differentiate them self from the rest. Like someone stated. Life is not fair.

Wayne:
attachment.php

Looks like there is room for two turbos....lol...

Hey Jibby,

I'm 60 years old and if you happen to be in the Leesburg GA area, you might want to think twice about pulling down on my street driven 71 240Z...if the conditions are right, I'll do my best to let you see if you can read my license plate....from a distance, of course. :eek:)

Wayne

Bring it old man, let's see what your made of!!!!

Just kidding rytherwr, but what makes you so sure I will be looking at your license plate from a distance if we raced? My car is no slug 0-80mph running under the juice........What are you sporting in that 240Z? Is that a small block Chevy I see in it? Any track times or dyno's on that baby you may want to share?

Ooooopppss- Just saw the 454 on your motor in the pic, I think I would be looking at your license plate, that must be a rocket.....I would still give it a go.....:boggled:

SCV8 - Your right...Marina Del Rey is the land of show and money...Many older folk driving $100,000 plus fancy fast new sports cars...Beverly Hills and Malibu are close seconds....

Jibby....I can take some ribbing....:eek:) dyno'ed at 610 hp @ 6100, 575 lb/ft at 4400. I drive to the track, let the air out of the tires, run low 6.70's at 104 (10.30's @ 129 in the 1/4) as long as I want to, temp stays 180-190 degrees, air up the tires and drive back home. There are a lot of hot turboed street cars that may give me a go, but probably not a nitroused 1uz unless it is purposely built for it. But if you get down this way, we can have some fun....pretty soon we can have some fun with my 700 hp 2uz....supercharged, turbocharged, nitroused and alcohol injected purpose-built Tundra street motor....:eek:) Go to the FI registry and you can see what I'm doing.

Wayne

Nothing like big block power, that's for sure....

Sir, I don't think I will be coming your way any time soon, I will get smoked....Your car is sick...

- 454 Big block Chevy N/A sporting 610bhp...575 torque...WOW, that's alot for that motor I would think.....and your carburated too... I am guessing you have the TH400 tranny worked in too, and all this is squeezed into a light weight Nissan 240Z...That sounds out right scary to me...

The best I can come up with is maybe just a little over 300whp and 475ft pounds of torque in a reduced in weight SC400...I may need to bring binoculars to see your license plate if we raced...Again, life is not fair.....:notworthy:

Haha what the hell. That Z is the craziest Z-car I've ever seen! Where are the videos?? man o man.

Yeah I'm pushing a hefty 29.5 yrs =] I am holding off kids until I find the best woman I can possibly find. I've had two HUGE dissapointments that turned out to just want to live off me and my money. So until then I'll keep on working my butt off, saving my cash and playing with cars. When I do get a couple rentals in my name then I will buy my dream car. It was an Acura NSX but now I want an Audi R8. Just a few more years of trying not to blow too much money =o Maybe by I can find a deal on a used R8 by then :fingersx:

Spend that money while you can! Everyone deserved their own dreamcar, damned what the old lady says!!! Just remember that you can't take money to the grave with you.

Actually, Jibby, that is a 454 SMALL block chevy...Special Edition manufactured by Bill Mitchell of World Products fame. The pics you see here were carbureted...I have installed MassFlo fuel injection system and a power glide transmission. Was originally running a 4L80E for cruising, but I'm not cruising as much as I thought. It also is back-halved with a 9 inch Ford and Moser axles....13.5 inches of tire on the ground per side.

Gonna miss you....:006:

Wayne

Attachments

• 1UZA65Steering2.jpg
    1UZA65Steering2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 1UZA65SteeringRack.jpg
    1UZA65SteeringRack.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 1UZA65Sump.jpg
    1UZA65Sump.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1UZA65TempDriveShaft.jpg
    1UZA65TempDriveShaft.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1UZA65under1.jpg
    1UZA65under1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 45
Actually, Jibby, that is a 454 SMALL block chevy...Special Edition manufactured by Bill Mitchell of World Products fame. The pics you see here were carbureted...I have installed MassFlo fuel injection system and a power glide transmission. Was originally running a 4L80E for cruising, but I'm not cruising as much as I thought. It also is back-halved with a 9 inch Ford and Moser axles....13.5 inches of tire on the ground per side.

Gonna miss you....:006:

Wayne

Wayne, that makes better sense to me now.......The first pic of your motor appeared at a glace to be a small block Chevy. I then noticed the 454 valve cover on your motor...I was also thinking that a BBC single carburated motor should not see your dyno numbers, which are almost equivalent to the larger GM 572 carburated crate motors....I was confused there for a moment, thanks for the clarification...

Anyway, that's one wild ride you got there and I can only imagine launching in that sucker... You're probably pulling a few g's and getting pinned back into the seat something wicked......... Nice.....:Eyecrazy: