Who Would Be Interested In A $100 Transmission Controller?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LexStarr

Over the past week I've been designing and building my own transmission controller so I can use paddle shifters to manually shift it. The controller is extremely basic and doesn't really have any fail-safes but it works and also allows you to toggle between the controller and the stock ecu for full auto mode.

Manual mode can be controlled by either paddles, buttons, cruise control switch or joystick.

If there's enough people wanting to buy one ill make more.
My controller will be able to run the a340e, a341e and a650e.

Pictures, videos and more details coming soon.

Sign me up...

What's the method? PIC, Arduino other?

What are you doing for torque converter lock/unlock?

I want to put a 650 in asap, but need to have a trans controller first.

I had a 4 position rotary switch mounted on the side of my center console with a nice little leaver on it in my old MA45 when I had an A340 in it...

only problem with this is when you pull up to a stop and forget your in 3rd or 4th and nail it from a stand still instantly torching the internals of the auto. do it a couple of times the TCC dies do it a few more times the trans starts slipping :(

The controller is actually a microcontroller that I built and programed. It has 2 inputs (up and down) that cycle through 5 latched outputs. And to toggle between the controller and the ecu for fully auto mode, I used a DPDT relay which is wired to a switch.
I've programed 2 different versions, one that cycles through outputs 1-4 stopping at output 4 when activating the "up" input and output 1 when activating the "down" input. This controller is for the a340e or a341e
The other one does the same but cycles through 5 outputs instead, stopping at 1 and 5.
This controller is for the a650e.
The ouputs for 4th gear for the a340 and 5th gear for the a650 aren't actually needed since both transmission shift into their top gear when all the solenoids are turned off, but I went ahead and made an output anyway to power an led or indicator to let you know you're in top gear. Indicators can also be connected to all of the outputs to let you know what gear you're in.

As of right now I'm still working out all the kinks, while also trying to package it nicely so any Joe schmoe can hook it up with ease. Also reliability has recently become an issue so I'm gonna have to upgrade some of the internals with beefier components.

BTW, so you guys don't think I'm a flake or a fraud, my screen name on Club Lexus is MattStarr. I post more on CL than I do here.

Last edited:
The controller is actually a microcontroller that I built and programed. It has 2 inputs (up and down) that cycle through 5 latched outputs. And to toggle between the controller and the ecu for fully auto mode, I used a DPDT relay which is wired to a switch.
I've programed 2 different versions, one that cycles through outputs 1-4 stopping at output 4 when activating the "up" input and output 1 when activating the "down" input. This controller is for the a340e or a341e
The other one does the same but cycles through 5 outputs instead, stopping at 1 and 5.
This controller is for the a650e.
The ouputs for 4th gear for the a340 and 5th gear for the a650 aren't actually needed since both transmission shift into their top gear when all the solenoids are turned off, but I went ahead and made an output anyway to power an led or indicator to let you know you're in top gear. Indicators can also be connected to all of the outputs to let you know what gear you're in.

As of right now I'm still working out all the kinks, while also trying to package it nicely so any Joe schmoe can hook it up with ease. Also reliability has recently become an issue so I'm gonna have to upgrade some of the internals with beefier components.

BTW, so you guys don't think I'm a flake or a fraud, my screen name on Club Lexus is MattStarr. I post more on CL than I do here.

seems reasonable. What about the torque converter? Probably need some logic for lock/unlock.

What micro are you using? a pic, stamp, or what? I can do it, but have way too many other projects. I'm be up for buying one and your basic approach is sound, but want to know the details - I presume you will use solid state relays for each and suitable power to drive them. I'll use it with a 650e if you get it working. I have the 4 speed now, but want to switch to the 5 speed.

Thanks.

PS, you'll probably need a brake pedal input there too to unlock the TC when you get on the brakes, and relock (?) when you are off them.... To really do it up, you'd also need a speed map in there and maybe force downshifts if its lugging.

Also looking to switch to a 5 speed. Would love to help test this for you, as my car is strictly for track use, which I assume Spinnetti's is too. Wouldn't mind starting with our 4 speed first, then upgrading to the 5 speed over the winter.

Yeah I've got a A341E I wouldnt mind trying it on.

Looking to upgrade to an A650E I have laying about, but for that I plan to use a TCM-2000 unit.

Anybody know if the 1-4 gear set from the 650e 5 speed would work in the 340e 4 speed? I don't care about having a 5 speed, but want the 1-4 gears for sure. That would save me having to use an aftermarket controller at all.

THanks.

A650E controller

Yes, absolutely i want one... my email is
[email protected]

Over the past week I've been designing and building my own transmission controller so I can use paddle shifters to manually shift it. The controller is extremely basic and doesn't really have any fail-safes but it works and also allows you to toggle between the controller and the stock ecu for full auto mode.

Manual mode can be controlled by either paddles, buttons, cruise control switch or joystick.

If there's enough people wanting to buy one ill make more.
My controller will be able to run the a340e, a341e and a650e.

Pictures, videos and more details coming soon.

A650E controller

On the '98 LS there are 3 little buttons on the steering wheel that scroll thru and reset the fuel usage display... I don't care if lose the fuel usage thingy...my left arm doesn't work so something like these 3 buttons would be perfect...

Attachments

• fuel display knobs 002.jpg
    fuel display knobs 002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 9