Which Tein's Should go in?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mota420

I need your help guys. Everybody I talk to at the local autosports shops has a differant opinion and I know this has come up in about 100 threads now but I still don't have a clue which way I should go. I even e-mailed TEIN about 2 weeks ago and still havn't heard back from them. I'm looking for something for sporty street driving. I don't autocross or drift or drag my car. Just drive my daily driver a '92 SC400 hard. I don't wait something that is going to ride so stiff I may as well have just not bought a lex. But I also want way better cornering than the stock spring/struts ever offered. My suspension is all original so its been starting to creak pretty bad in the last year. I already have a full set of Daizen Brushings sitting in front of me waiting to go in this spring but when I do that I'm going to replace the suspension too.

So whats your opinion. Should I save my cash and just get a set of Basics? Or should I spend a little more and get a set of Super Sports for the supras? I'm worried if I go that was I will be unhappy with the ride being to stiff. Same goes for the Flex. I'd spend the money and get them and a EDFC but I've heard some people say that even on the softest setting they are HARD. The CS was looking pretty good but then some jackass at a local shop told me I may as well forget about handling and get a buick if I go that way.

I'm lost. If you've been in a car set up with any of these let me know what you thought. If you have a better idea I'm open to suggestions. The snow is melting and I need to decide pretty quick.

Thanks for the help.

I'm curently using Tein Super Street (Supra of course) on my SC400. I set it to the lowest dampening and I like it alot on average streets or better, including cornering/handling. However, if I go over some white spot lane dividers or rough streets, I don't like it. It's a little stiff for normal driving. I had a chance to drive a 2001 Mercedes SLK 320, and I could say the Tein SS is just a bit stiffer, not much. You don't want to get the Basic, it's like the SS is set in the middle, and that'll surely give you a rough ride. If you can afford the CS, it's the best for soft sporty ride. I haven't heard any complaints about it except from the guy who told you. Or you can use softer springs from Tein with the same spring dimensions on either Basic or SS, $65 for each spring. You'll need them either for rear or front, or all 4 corners. Check Tein website and you'll see them. The reason the CS is better is because of its softer spring rate.

Depending on how low you want to go and your budget allows, you might go for non-adjustable springs such as Intrax, HKS, Tein, Eibach...etc with Tokico/Koni/KYB shocks from Supra. I find it the front of Lex SC and Supra are exactly the same. The only difference is the rear Supra shocks are shorter. However, I've seen several SCs with Supra TT suspensions and they just look perfect evenly.

I know several Supra owners with Tein CS's and they like them a LOT. One owner even tracks his car with these, and raves about them.

If you're after a sporty street ride, without jarring your fillings out over every speed bump, the CS's should be high on your list.

That's true. I heard a lot of good comments about the Tein CS's smoothness. However, I prefer the SS type on the rubber bushings that I have. The SS can actually be really smooth and good for the money. I paid $830 new for it. I'm not the type of super smooth rider. I'm in between the track guy and the street guy.

cribbj said:
I know several Supra owners with Tein CS's and they like them a LOT. One owner even tracks his car with these, and raves about them.

If you're after a sporty street ride, without jarring your fillings out over every speed bump, the CS's should be high on your list.

Attachments

• 3uzfevs1uzfe.JPG
    3uzfevs1uzfe.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 13
  • dyno.JPG
    dyno.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 17
  • pistons.JPG
    pistons.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
Well after considering it for months now and looking at JIC vs TEIN and then CS vs SS I've decided on a set of CS's and played my order today. I think its cheaper in the long run to do it right once and be done with it rather than go half assed and regret it latter.
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post up some pics and a my thoughts after they go in with the Daizen bushings sitting in my living room right now.

The CS has very good reputation for daily street driving. But I wouldn't recommend the Daizen bushings, except for track racing. You can get away with the Daizen's harshness with the CS's softness, but you can't get away with the squeaks they'll start to give after a few months. I uninstalled the Daizens last week and I found no grease left in or around the bushings, although I re-greased them again 4 months ago. The best way to go is using the whole new Supra lower control arms. You'll save at least $200 for both arms by using the Supras. Also, you'll have new balljoints. But if you go with Daizens and ask some shops to do the job for you, the labor/parts will cost more than the Supra arms, and you still have the old balljoints, which you don't know when they'll fall apart. Lexus dealers charge 10-14 hours labor to do the Daizens, which should totals at least $700. It took me 1.5 days to do the Daizens myself. We've been there and done that so we'd just recommend the best for you. But it's your choice.

I spent $100 for the Daizen, $15 for the propane torch to melt the old bushings, $5 for the washers to push out the old bushings, $20 for additional grease (best grease) when I re-greased the bushings the second time, $10 for the WeatherStrip adhesive to fix the balljoint dust boots, $150 for the new rubber bushings to replace the Daizen, $40 to ask the shop to press out the old bushing shells. Total: $340 with my labor/sweat. I could get new complete set of new Supra control arms for a little more than $400. But well, I'm finally happy with the $150 rubber bushings.

stevechumo said:
The CS has very good reputation for daily street driving. But I wouldn't recommend the Daizen bushings, except for track racing. You can get away with the Daizen's harshness with the CS's softness, but you can't get away with the squeaks they'll start to give after a few months. I uninstalled the Daizens last week and I found no grease left in or around the bushings, although I re-greased them again 4 months ago. The best way to go is using the whole new Supra lower control arms. You'll save at least $200 for both arms by using the Supras. Also, you'll have new balljoints. But if you go with Daizens and ask some shops to do the job for you, the labor/parts will cost more than the Supra arms, and you still have the old balljoints, which you don't know when they'll fall apart. Lexus dealers charge 10-14 hours labor to do the Daizens, which should totals at least $700. It took me 1.5 days to do the Daizens myself. We've been there and done that so we'd just recommend the best for you. But it's your choice.

I spent $100 for the Daizen, $15 for the propane torch to melt the old bushings, $5 for the washers to push out the old bushings, $20 for additional grease (best grease) when I re-greased the bushings the second time, $10 for the WeatherStrip adhesive to fix the balljoint dust boots, $150 for the new rubber bushings to replace the Daizen, $40 to ask the shop to press out the old bushing shells. Total: $340 with my labor/sweat. I could get new complete set of new Supra control arms for a little more than $400. But well, I'm finally happy with the $150 rubber bushings.
so u sayin supra suspension fits sc? if i order springs or struts order them for a supra instead of an sc? that way i can have more stiffness..?

Yes, the Supra lower control arms fit all SC300/400 models. You can also use spring, struts, or coilovers made for Supra '93 - '98 and put on the SC. Stiffness depends on what specific parts you get, and not because it's from the Supra. You can always get soft springs or coilovers for the Supra. And if you want more stiffness, you can still get stiff parts for the Supra that run on the track.

sinai said:
so u sayin supra suspension fits sc? if i order springs or struts order them for a supra instead of an sc? that way i can have more stiffness..?

stevechumo said:
Yes, the Supra lower control arms fit all SC300/400 models. You can also use spring, struts, or coilovers made for Supra '93 - '98 and put on the SC. Stiffness depends on what specific parts you get, and not because it's from the Supra. You can always get soft springs or coilovers for the Supra. And if you want more stiffness, you can still get stiff parts for the Supra that run on the track.
well, do pple do dat because there is alack of parts for sc's?

That's true. There're not too many manufacturers that make replacement parts or performance parts for the SCs. Here's my educational guess:

For replacement parts, since the SC is a luxury car, it'll cost more to make the parts that are luxurious enough to put on the SC. Therefore, aftermarket manufacturers stay out of this because of not too much profits. You know, when the car is old and getting cheaper, who would pay an expensive part for the car? This might not be true but that's what I think. But the fact is there're less people who make parts for Lexus than Honda/Toyota.

For performance parts, although the SC has a sporty style, it's designed for cruising and luxury comfort. So why would anyone turn it into a hi-performance car? However, the Supra is designed for a more sporting purpose with stiffer suspension, tighter handling, more powerful engine, tighter room...etc. than the SC. That's why there're not many manufacturers that make hi-performance parts for the SC due to low demand. But we're somewhat lucky enough because Mr. Toyota want to save cost so he still keeps several parts that can be interchanged between the Supra and the SC. It's simply just cost management. And this I know for sure.

I'm currently using a Tein Super Street coilover system made for the Supra. It fits with no questions asked. Tein only makes the CS version for the SC. Any other versions that are advertised will fit on the SC are actually made for the Supra.

Here's the link that you can find many good answers for the SC: http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

stevechumo said:
That's true. There're not too many manufacturers that make replacement parts or performance parts for the SCs. Here's my educational guess:

For replacement parts, since the SC is a luxury car, it'll cost more to make the parts that are luxurious enough to put on the SC. Therefore, aftermarket manufacturers stay out of this because of not too much profits. You know, when the car is old and getting cheaper, who would pay an expensive part for the car? This might not be true but that's what I think. But the fact is there're less people who make parts for Lexus than Honda/Toyota.

For performance parts, although the SC has a sporty style, it's designed for cruising and luxury comfort. So why would anyone turn it into a hi-performance car? However, the Supra is designed for a more sporting purpose with stiffer suspension, tighter handling, more powerful engine, tighter room...etc. than the SC. That's why there're not many manufacturers that make hi-performance parts for the SC due to low demand. But we're somewhat lucky enough because Mr. Toyota want to save cost so he still keeps several parts that can be interchanged between the Supra and the SC. It's simply just cost management. And this I know for sure.

I'm currently using a Tein Super Street coilover system made for the Supra. It fits with no questions asked. Tein only makes the CS version for the SC. Any other versions that are advertised will fit on the SC are actually made for the Supra.

Here's the link that you can find many good answers for the SC: http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

im glad teh first site i bump into is full of well informed pple. i guess u guys dont have a choice but to know your stuff since its such a small society....

sctuners=lone rangers, better know your ****
vs a site full of honda enthus. and a bunch of kids with bad info, and some knowledgeable pple sprinkled here and there...yip.

Thanks for your good thought. There're many of us on this forum have been working on real cars for a long time, and not those you'll find on other forums who just sit and talk, but they never got their elbows greased.

sinai said:
im glad teh first site i bump into is full of well informed pple. i guess u guys dont have a choice but to know your stuff since its such a small society....

sctuners=lone rangers, better know your ****
vs a site full of honda enthus. and a bunch of kids with bad info, and some knowledgeable pple sprinkled here and there...yip.

comfort sport

Just my two sense...I had recently installed the CS in my 01 gs430 and love em. I also have the daizen busings. No complaints of yet