wheel studs needed!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spf_lexus

Today I got 255/35's mounted up in the front and I ran into a little problem. I use 1/4'' spacers on the front and when re-torquing the nuts I noticed they had very little grab... maybe 3 full turns. I took out the spacers and the fit is good but would like my spacers added to fully fill out the wheel wells.

I cannot use special lug nuts as these rims are too tight to allow a collar, so my answer is longer then OEM studs. I know ARP makes wheel studs, just don't know my size.

Anyone know if LS400 wheel studs are the same as SC400? Or any good websites?

There was a thread a month or so ago about wheel studs, but probably the best thing to do is just go to the Summit or Jegs website & pick up 4 sets of ARP P/N 100-7715, which are the extended length racing studs for the IS300, but have the same thread, knurl, shoulder, etc. as all Toyota/Lexus wheel studs, figure out what length you need them, cut off what you don't need, and install.

Yes- These IS studs are what I am using on my 1992 SC400. Perfect fit.
[I am using Rays Engineering extended racing nuts on them.]... So light!

titanmotorsports_2021_9363618.jpg

LexusRaysARPextended.jpg

STOPVOLKDOWN-1.jpg

Sean,
I tried to return your PM but you blocked your PM function. Anyway, I think the LS & SC studs are interchangeable. Both cars can fit the brakes, wheels, so why not wheel studs? :18:

Thanks for the info guys. Just placed my order with www.AdvanceSpeedShop.com for ARP P/N 100-7715 and ran me $28.50 per corner. Now I can finally have a fully filled out wheel well. 255/35/19 on 8.5 with 1/4'' spacers. W/O the spacers the inner edge of the rim is a matter of MM away from spindle. Now if I only had an LSD :biglaugh:

ARP Wheel Stud Torque

BTW, I called ARP for their recommended torque on the new studs, however they advised to first contact the wheel manufacturer for their recommendations.

But...in the absence of any specific recommendations from the wheel manufacturer, ARP advised for any of their M12x1.5mm studs, these "generic" torque settings could be used:

86 ft-lb with moly, or 109 ft-lb with 30w motor oil

Standard torque for the Toyota Supra wheel studs was only 76 ft-lbs (I assume the torque setting is the same for you Lexus owners?)

My new studs are going in today & tomorrow, with the new wheels & tires, so I'll post pics in my sig thread.

ARP makes a great wheel stud. Those are the ones I bought and then we measured them and cut off the excess length. Work perfectly! Fit perfectly!

Ryan

I'm using aluminum spacers, generic brand. I've had them installed for a year and half but the lack of thread grab wasn't the smartest move... one hard sidestep and adios wheel. But as for finding longer studs, Jibby was right... Kragen and autozone employees are completely useless if you need them to leave the computer to find a part. Gave up real quick on that one lol. These zinc coated studs look like they are a better product anyway.

The spacer is very important and specific. Make sure you use the one that has the inner bore that sits tightly on the stock spindle, and the outer ring fits snuggly inside the wheel. The stock spindle diameter is 60.1 mm. The outer diameter varies depending on your aftermarket wheels.

If you use the universal one, the wheel studs will eventually break, even with ARP studs. It's not good with boosted car. I used the one that costed $65/each. I see H&R that has some good spacers. You may check them out.

I could find a stud that fit the Lexus for $2 at PepBoy. I'm still using those studs on my SC. Each stud is about 1/4" longer than stock stud. I have the part number here if you need it.

75-80 ft/lb is how I torque on all wheels.

I have to say ignorance was bliss on this one. The spacers like I said are universal 5-lug design, not a hub-centric fit for sure. I used a whole tube of grey RTV on both of them to hold them in place. It's a little rigged i suppose but even with the weak thread grab I managed to spin my car out at 75mph... smashed sideways into numerous curbs and I never had a snapped stud/broken nut afterwards. Now that I realized the weak thread count i figured longer studs should suffice. I know what your saying about the tight fitments, but the RTV kept them in place the whole time, never moved out of the original spot I positioned them in. I know my eyeball isn't a precision CNC machine lol, but I managed to have these centered within a mm or 2.

I checked into the high end spacers, and figured the $12 I spent on these have held up much better than expected.

You'll never know what'll happen. It's not easy to center the universal hub. Basically, your wheels are riding on the studs, but not the spindle hub.

Anyway, I have a deal for you. LOL. I have a set of 18" rims (90% in very good condition and balanced), 99% new 245/40/18 front Falken tires, 70% Bridgestone 255/40/18 for rear tires. Along will be the set of custom spacers (I paid $260 for 4 corners). I'm asking for $600 plus actual shipping. Or if you get a chance to down to OC, no shipping. :bigok:

After you do the calculation, you're getting free 4 rims and 2 rear tires in this deal. What's better than that?

I guarantee you'll feel a lot more rigid and balanced with these set of spacers. Need any picture??????

Steve, that is a good deal, too bad mine are fine =(. The spin out was a year and a half back. I have 19x8.5'' black 5 spoke riding 255/35's nitto invo's on all 4.
lex.jpg
spf_lexus

I just got my studs in the mail... man these are long! Great fit, with perfect knurl. If I can get a better front fender roll I am confident 265/30's can fit the fronts LOL.

The spacers got me thinking... centering them is key... and using RTV isn't the best idea as far as keeping metal-to-metal contact so I found the most stupidly-easy answer...

Just "hung" the spacers on the studs and tightened the lugs down 10% and centered them w/ my hand... they are pefectly centered with the wheel clamp. Just puleld otu a mechanics rule and measured all around (my rims are wide open 5-spokes so no problem).

Wheels spacers

Here are some 1" wide spacers i found the other day as I'm thinking of using them on my '98 LS. Ebay item number 290466349145
Look them up on ebay.... thelugstore

Attachments

• Wheels spacers.jpg
    Wheels spacers.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 6
Here are some 1" wide spacers i found the other day as I'm thinking of using them on my '98 LS. Ebay item number 290466349145
Look them up on ebay.... thelugstore
You may not want to use those spacers. They don't have hub centric bore. You'll have great risk of breaking the wheel studs and will lead to accident.

Hub centric bore ? . . . what is that ?
Hub centric bore spacer is the one that has the inner hole fit tightly around the car's spindle/hub, while it has the lip to fit tightly inside the wheel. This tight fitness makes sure the wheel is centered on the hub and there's no movement between the wheel and the hub. Without the center bore fit perfectly is asking for a disaster. Many people don't use spacer, but they use aftermarket wheels that don't have centric bore fitment. They're awaiting for a disaster, too.

Attachments

• porschespacer15mm.jpg
    porschespacer15mm.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1