What wastegate mm are you 1UZ turbo guys using?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I will be running Dual 40 mm.

Attachments

• crossmember comparison - small.jpg
    crossmember comparison - small.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • original crossmember 2 - small.jpg
    original crossmember 2 - small.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,109
  • sump and ground clearance small.jpg
    sump and ground clearance small.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,089
I find it amazing you get creep because of your wastegate with that setup and boost level!

Yeah something very wrong there.

external gate design is as much about the right flowpath etc as it is about the right wastegate

Attachments

• 1uzfe 011.jpg
    1uzfe 011.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1uzfe 019.jpg
    1uzfe 019.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 1uzfe 020.jpg
    1uzfe 020.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1uzfe 022.jpg
    1uzfe 022.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 1uzfe 023.jpg
    1uzfe 023.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 18
We also had boost creep , on Beau Yates' Toyota spinter.That was with a GT30R with tial .63 turbine housing.We were using a single Tial 44mm gate, we then changed to dual tial44mm gates.

Having boost creep with big gates normally means that the turbine housing is too small for the amount of boost you were running.

Give Erik a call over at Full-race.com and say that Ben from Hypertune sent you. He should look after you.

Cheers

Ben

To big or a gate will cause boost creep cause they barely open to divert flow. Remember, a WG uses both boost and exh. pressure to open the valve. If the flow that it is trying to control is so small that it over controls that flow cause the cracking point offers more then enough flow to contol that the particular amount of flow and thus boost, it will shut and thus allow boost to to slighly rise and try again. What ends up happening is that the valve flutters and causes boost creep. I had the same problem a while ago on my supra and was running a HKS 50mm gate at 8psi and it would slowly creep to about 12 in about 2 to 3 seconds. After logging a run through all gears I saw that once I hit 8psi, it would drop about a 1/4psi then rise about 1/2, then drop about a 1/4 again and rise about another 1/2 and so on until about 12psi where it would stop. It was happening so fast that all you would see was a slow rise on the gauge but in the datalog you could see the fluttering..... I upped to boost to about 14 and and it would rise as normal and stay at 14 all day long no more WG flutter and no creep beyond that point. I changed back down to a 40mm HKS unit and there was no creep at 8psi like there was with the 50mm.

The other thing that is can cause boost control problems with external gate is there placement in relationship to exhause flow path in the manifold. Poor placement of the gate will cause similiar issues. Any time you limit flow to the gate (i.e. at a right angle to the flow path or where it is only seeing a cylinder or two of flow), it will have a hard time controling boost.

Yeah, but watch for boost spikes! Long remote mounted WG make the control responce slower and thus have the tendency to create spikes...

Me personally, if I do end up running twins, I'll be using twin 35 or 38mm units depending on who I go with.

Its going to be about an inch from the primary pipes, so wont be long, but enough to make a nice merged collector.

I havent found remote mounted WG's an issue in the past either actually. The 944 turbo has the turbo on the opposite side of the exhaust and has a WG in the cross over pipe. It works really well.

Yeah, thats a 944. You wont find a 911 or any professional race care setup like that and theres a reason for it. Boost spikes do accure and quite commonly to, but this is also on fairly high HP engines.

A 911 is a flat six configuration, really you couldnt easily design the WG setup like the straight slanted 4 of the 944. FYI there was a factory backed 944 turbo cup professional race series for a few years when they were available new... there are also a few out there making 500-600WHP with the same configuration. Mine made 365WHP in the stock configuration with nil boost spikes.

Attachments

• sniper copy.JPG
    sniper copy.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 8
As long as the wastegate isn't too far from the turbo, it'll be fine. Also, the angle of the wastegate inlet pipe (at the mouth) should be slightly heading the same way as the flow to the turbo. The advantage is the inlet mouth diameter will be longer & larger along the main pipe to the turbo. This will allow more exhaust gas flow to the wastegate more quicker.

Although the exhaust pressure is really great and it'll try to escape to any opening, in this case is the wastegate inlet pipe, I believe the straight up 90 degree inlet mouth won't have the quicker flow as the 70 degree inlet mouth that heads the same way as the flow.

Man thats w/g diagram looks like its straight out of Corky Bells book..
Maybe...LOL. Just kidding. I never read the Corky book, it's what I have built on my SC. Or maybe the idea came from other sources and somehow it got into my mind. You know that no single human being could actually create anything from A-Z, he/she just learned from other sources and put them together.