What can I get out of my 08 2uzfe 4runner with some basic tuning?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bigwebb83

Hi all first post here. I have an 08 4runner witht he v8. Looking to see what my options are for piggyback tuning. I'm not going to do any serious mods just looking to see if I can optimize air fuel and ignition timing and maybe squeeze out a smoother power band and another 1-2mpg's. What do you think? Whats out there as far as piggy back solutions? What are the price ranges? And what has toyota left on the table as far as power from a stock engine is concerned?

I do quite a bit of this sort of Job for customers on many different vehicles. I start by getting it onto my dyno and checking what its doing now before I start. Then I get all the servicing up to date , oil flush and good oil, including gearbox and diffs , generally K&N air filter in the box with improved inlet to factory box , ensure spark plugs are good and generally Platinum or iridam, compression test , check ignition, check alternator and earths, oxygen sensors, pretty much anything thats needed there gets checked and done as needed. Then its headers and exhaust then its back onto the dyno and recheck. At that point I look into ECUs or signal adjustment units. There have been a few where I have left the vehicle at that point. Also when looking at the figures look and both HP and Torque and not just the maximum figures , compare the whole range. Cheers.

thats what im looking for. ive already done the maintenance myself including the k&n filter. I may do an exhaust but I mainly just want to get something to control a./f and timing and try and improve my power throughout the curve to a safe extent and see if i can pick up any mpg's.. is there a good reasonably priced piggyback option for my engine that will be good for this?

The typcial tuning trick is to lean the A/F (air/fuel) ratio under full power conditions to increase power. This is typically done by modifying the signal from the MAF meter to the ECU in order to lean the mixture.

The problem will be that the ECU is programmed to maintain stochiometric operation 14.7 to 1 A/F ratio under cruise conditions it will richen the mixture over time as it compensates back to its target.

A piggyback will cost $200-$1000 plus installation and dyno time and the results are unlikely to be stable.

How is your driving? Seriously, most people can increase MPG by optimizing their driving technigue. Careful throttle modulation is key.

Tire selection and pressure. Lowering rolling resistance is a good way to improve MPG and maximum safe tire pressure is the first thing to do. If buying new tires check their performance with tirerack's online listings and consider the tires with the least rolling resistance and the lowest weight.

Are you using synthetic oil? Usually good for a MPG improvement.

Aerodynamics: lowing a vehicle will often reduce its coefficient of drag. A front air damn to reduce under vehicle air flow.

I hate to recommend them but you may want to look at the cheapo chinese headers available since the stock manifolds are poor at best. This could give you 10+hp and slighty better cruise economy. Selling for under $200 plus install is probably the best HP per dollar out there.

The typcial tuning trick is to lean the A/F (air/fuel) ratio under full power conditions to increase power. This is typically done by modifying the signal from the MAF meter to the ECU in order to lean the mixture.

The problem will be that the ECU is programmed to maintain stochiometric operation 14.7 to 1 A/F ratio under cruise conditions it will richen the mixture over time as it compensates back to its target.

A piggyback will cost $200-$1000 plus installation and dyno time and the results are unlikely to be stable.

How is your driving? Seriously, most people can increase MPG by optimizing their driving technigue. Careful throttle modulation is key.

Tire selection and pressure. Lowering rolling resistance is a good way to improve MPG and maximum safe tire pressure is the first thing to do. If buying new tires check their performance with tirerack's online listings and consider the tires with the least rolling resistance and the lowest weight.

Are you using synthetic oil? Usually good for a MPG improvement.

Aerodynamics: lowing a vehicle will often reduce its coefficient of drag. A front air damn to reduce under vehicle air flow.

I hate to recommend them but you may want to look at the cheapo chinese headers available since the stock manifolds are poor at best. This could give you 10+hp and slighty better cruise economy. Selling for under $200 plus install is probably the best HP per dollar out there.

I have experience with a boosted 350z running a utec engine management which is a piggyback. It maintained rock solid air fuel ratios and timing. I've heard of the ecu fighting back and forth with cheaper solutions that aren't actually a piggyback ecu controller such as the apexi safc but I think a good tuning device should produce stable results.

I've also already done everything you suggested outside of lowering the vehicle. I'm not unhappy with the vehicles performance or gas mileage, I just like to tinker and make things better. Can anyone suggest a good tuning option?

and 14.7 is the target when not under load. When you start to accelerate a/f takes a nose dive and often times is overly conservative.

Last edited by a moderator: