What brakes?

What big brake kit do you think is best?

• Brembo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stoptech

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Rotora

• Endless

• AP racing

• Project Mu? (not sure about this one)

• other

• Total voters
The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
If $$$ is not an issue, I would go for a Brembo big kit. I always use stock-size Brembo rotors as replacements, and I find them to be very good with great bite, no warping, low dust, long lasting, and smooth grip. I'm not talking about pads because I've used the same pads with different rotors.

And if I don't have too much $$$, I would go for a Supra twin turbo brake kit, which will save me more than 1/2 of what I pay for the Brembo kit. Of course, the Supra rotors will be stock-size Brembo rotors.

First, you have to determine what it is you're trying to fix in your current braking system, and what you're trying to achieve.

If you're having fade issues, then better pads are a first upgrade. Then look at larger diameter rotors with larger pads.

If you're trying to shorten stopping distances, then get stickier tires.

If you're trying to look like and exotic '60s and '70s sportscar, but don't need better fuction, then get the crossdrilled, blingin'est rotors you can find that will fit.

;)

Save the money and just get some D/S rotors and OEM pads and flush the brake fluid......No need for a brake upgrade in my opinion as those D/S rotors and pads really improve the braking even with the 2 piston stock calipers...I had to slam the brakes on the freeway just yesterday and I was locking up and braking just fine with my Stock SC400 2 piston front calipers with D/S rotors...I had the 4 piston calipers on my car briefly and the braking was not that much better in my opinion...The bling bling factor is impressive though... Brembo's are the best..

I'm just running slotted/drilled brembo rotors with EBC redstuff on my lex and it brakes really good, specially on highway speeds, they get hot pretty quickly and bites a lot (ceramic pads) Those brembo rotors are VERY resistants and don't rust. Plus, they are really cheap, 400$ shipping included on Ebay. Be sure to buy real brembo rotors!

I bet they are cheaper than Lexus OEM rotors. by a big margin.

Yeah on hard braking I too you can here and feel the rotors digging into the pads unlike the smooth flat metal surfaced OEM rotors and pads....That is what gives you the far better braking though...

? I don't have this feeling, it's still a very smooth braking, but when you press hard on the pedal, the car stops very quickly in a smooth stop. Maybe it depends on the type of pads you have, ceramic pads are a lot stronger than metallic/organic pads.

Rod Millen Motorsports has a fairly reasonably priced upgrade kit based on the TT calipers and rotors. You need to understand that regardless of what upgrade kit you go with, you will need to switch to 18" wheels to clear the calipers, AND also fit the car without jacking it up. 245-45/40 ZR 18s are a reasonable tire on 18x8 inch rims, but you will be lucky if you get more than 20k miles out of these tires. Also, using braided steel brake lines on the rear as well as the front will be required. The stock LS 400 master cylinder should work with these brakes. You don't need to upgrade the rear brakes. This upgrade is nearly a mandatory requirement for the early series LS 400s, as the front brakes go away real fast under fast driving conditions, and the stock front rotors have a tendency to warp, and the calipers end up with stuck pistons from the overheating.

1. Brembo is NOT the best-far from it. I would rate brembo like a bose speaker system. Waaaay overrated, no highs, no lows, must be bose. Marketing name branding goes a long way. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Just because x______(insert brand name here) uses it it must be good." NOT TRUE. Brembo in my opinion is lower middle of the pack. Obvious clues are the gentleman ON THIS THREAD who said he HAD brembo's and said it was marginally better than stock. There is a reason stock Supra brakes will outperform all the other brake kits (including 6pot AP-racing)with just a pad and rotor upgrade. here is proof

2. "The Best" braking system you will definetly have to pay for. You might want to consider what your braking needs are and start there. If you are not doing laps on a high speed oval at 200mph, you probably don't need "the best." BTW, the best brake system for any amount of money is this one: BEST BRAKES These baby's are designed from aircraft brake design. They are on Winston cup cars, sprint cars, lemans, GT and the like. Overkill on your application IMO.

3. If I were you, Get brand new SupraTT fronts and rears, properly vent them, get ss lines, and get good slotted rotors with porterfield or hawk blue pads. BTW, EBC's have caught fire on my car. I would bet you 1000 dollars you couldn't max that combo out on the track if you tried your darndest. On Slicks.

4. Speaking of slicks, if you hit your brakes as hard as you can now, and it locks up at 100mph, you don't need better brakes, you need better tires. A rule of thumb- If you can activate the abs system at any speed, you don't need more brake horsepower. That would be a need of more tire. You can only brake as good as the tire on the car. If you get to the point of maximum braking and the tire isn't locking up, (no ABS activation) You are lacking the required BHP to stop at maximum of the tires. THEN AND ONLY THEN do you need to upgrade your brakes to something more powerful. If you are experiencing fade, larger vented rotors and upgrade the compound of the brake pad would be the right choice. Adding more friction(i.e. bigger brakes) because your fade now is silly, that doesn't solve the problem. The only way the bigger brakes would solve the problem of fade is if your big brake kit had a larger rotor and more aggressive pad compound than stock. So either way, you will need bigger rotor and change the pad compound, big caliper upgrade or not. Up to you to spend a $400-1000 on pads, rotors, and proper venting with ss lines, or $4000-7000 on something that may not be better than what you have.

my $.03

I think the stock Lexus calipers brake just fine with the combination of D/S rotors and OEM pads...4 piston caliper upgrades are really almost a waste of big money... They weigh more and the rear calipers see little action after the 4 piston swap...THe stopping distance between the two is not that much improved...

If you do it for looks then I would say go for it...For braking I really don't think it makes that big difference as I have tried both....

Save the cash and get new Drilled and slotted rotors and new OEM pads...Then bleed and flush the brake system and your LEX will stop just fine....