Want to get into 4X4'ing again anyone using the IUZFE for 4X4'ing?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibby

Listen fella's I did some awesome offroading recently, and am thinking of getting back into it, want to know if anyone has done the swap 4x4 with the 4.0L V8 IUZFE? If so how did it work out? Are the cams to mild for 4X4'ing? Would love to get a project going for a nice 4x4 using the Lex/Toy V8 motors. What truck or Jeep I don't know yet. Just trying to get a few ideas and or suggestions.

I would like a nice looking but somewhat brutal looking truck or jeep with soft but raised suspension, locking differentials, big tires and of course a toyota/Lex v8 under the hood, 4.0L,4.3L or even 4.7L any testimonies out their? I would love to hear about them?

Hotroding my sc400 is great and I will continue to do so, but after recently doing a little 4X4'ing with a friend, after many years I found I still have a pashion for mud wamping, hill climbing, and off road ripping in general..... I was really into off roading 10 years ago, way before I got into the street stuff..... Late-

Jibby,

There are a number of us in Australia running 1UZ's in 4x4's.

Check out posts by "Guts". If you go to www.outerlimits4x4.com and search 1UZ-FE it will bring up a thread from Guts and some good shots of him wheeling his car.

I've done a little wheeling in my Rover and it's being written up at the end of the month for a French 4x4 magazine so I will get some shots of it wheeling.

The stock engine works fine. The mild cams are good as it lets you idle the vehicle through tight spots.

Hey thanks for the links fella's I checked them out and crazy swaps.... you Aussie's are all about the IUZ swaps for 4X4's...... I guess in australia 4X4's are in high demand...is there mud, sand hills, and dirt hill climbs out thier? Or mostly flat dirt roads on or around where you guys are at???

In LA, California we have access to miles of sand dunes, mud 4X4ing, hill climbing, trails, etc. within just a few hours of driving.

It looks like you guys are using the V8 IUZ's swaps in original 4 cylinder 4X4 toyota trucks mostly. You must have access to many different types of bell housing setups for the Iuz's swaps as well... I am sure in the States we are very limited as to bell housing option swaps. However, years ago, I had done a 350ci, and 283ci Chevy V8 swap in the FJ40 Toyota Landruisers. Those were very simple conversions everything seemed to fit and mount well, but I have yet to hear about or have seen these Iuz's engine swaps in early model 4X4 trucks and Jeeps here in the States. I am going to look into this further, thanks for responses and cheers.... Man I would love to surf in Australia, how is the shark situation? Late-

Jibby,

We have similar terain available in Australia as you have in the States. Everything from dunes (my avatar is my old Porsche jumping off the biggest sand dune in one of our deserts. It's 70 metres (over 230') high).

The sharks aren't a problem we've trained them to eat tourists.

I (had) a 1UZFE installed in a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 . It went and sounded great and turned heads wherever it went. But..... it took a lot of mechanical and a few electrical mods to get it to fit and communicate with the Jeep ECU and a whole lot of Dollars. We had to double up all the engine sensors to make all the gauges and instrument panel work, Installed an aftermarket ECU (MoTec M4
icon_cool.gif
, made new engine mounts, moved the steering shaft, modified the sump to clear front diff and drive shaft, modified the firewall (1UZFE is a wide engine), remote oil filter, new headers ceramic coated (8 into 4 into 2 into 1) etc etc etc $ $ $ $. Was a fun project but I eventually needed the engine and ECU for another project so out it all came. I still have the adaptor plate for the engine to gearbox (5 speed manual) bell housing if you are still interested? Most of the other modified and custom parts I sold on Ebay last year.

i'm in the middle of a 1uz-fe conversion on my 1991 short wheelbase hilux.

Alot of my mates are already useing these motors in off-road vehicles (hilux and landcruisers) and i can tell you they go VERY well!

The fabricator who is building my chassis and air bag suspension is rebuilding his own hilux with a turbo intercooled vvti 1uz and he's building a mud truck running a twin supercharged 1uz!

These motors are really popular in NZ in the 4x4 scene, The last whinch challenge held here was won by a lexus powered hilux.

what a pearler this thread is turning into, I love it, it has answered my initial Questions, i joined this site too http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ and WOW, information overload i dont know where to start LOL.
i think next years project might begin this year, I want reliablity with thrashing involved so maybe landcruiser stuff is stronger in that department?? BUT gee i love Guts's Hilux and Twisty Toy's four runner(hilux wagon)

Torbolexusinacobra- A jeep wrangler, now that is a conversion! You know jeep makes a tons of their V8's in the 1993 to date Jeep Grand Cherokee, and are cheap and easy to find in the states, millions, they are very strong and I think 4.6 or and 5.2L. I wonder if those engines would have mounted up better and easier for you in the Wrangler then the Iuz motor? I would have still preferred the IUZ though..... Nice swap and alot of work and $ invested, it sounds like...

Lo lyf- If I start a swap it will either be with with and early model landcruiser and or Bronco with the IUZ, that would be my choice, only because I like the way they look and I am so familiar with them.. I would love to hear more about that landcruiser conversion, I can only imagine, awesome!!!!!

Deankdx - I hear you on this being a great site, and great place to make contacts and learn. I have learned so much from this forum I cannot even tell you..

Guts - Wow, great links....I must check out further.......

Can anyone tell me if the stock cams in the IUZ's work well with the 4X4 swaps? The reason I ask is I had problems with my two of three Chevy V8 swaps. I tried swaps with a 327ci Corvette and 350ci Chevy and motors both were not truck but sportscar motors and lowend torque suffered and did not match up well with the stock landcruiser tranny and gearing, cams were the problem. However, my little 283ci Chevy small block I finally dropped in my 74 Toyota Landcruiser had and RV cam and that little engine had so much torque once it was in twisted my stock manual gearbox twice in low range 4X4ing, what a setup, headers, Edelbrock intake and carb, Msd, etc.... A stout hookup I could almost pop wheelies in low gear on cement with that setup, man I miss that car......

I (had) a 1UZFE installed in a 2002 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 . It went and sounded great and turned heads wherever it went. But..... it took a lot of mechanical and a few electrical mods to get it to fit and communicate with the Jeep ECU and a whole lot of Dollars. We had to double up all the engine sensors to make all the gauges and instrument panel work, Installed an aftermarket ECU (MoTec M4
icon_cool.gif
, made new engine mounts, moved the steering shaft, modified the sump to clear front diff and drive shaft, modified the firewall (1UZFE is a wide engine), remote oil filter, new headers ceramic coated (8 into 4 into 2 into 1) etc etc etc $ $ $ $. Was a fun project but I eventually needed the engine and ECU for another project so out it all came. I still have the adaptor plate for the engine to gearbox (5 speed manual) bell housing if you are still interested? Most of the other modified and custom parts I sold on Ebay last year.
Long shot, but do you still have the 5spd bellhousing?