Standalone ECU VVTi 1UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
No personal experience with the VVTi's, but we do have guys here with tons of experience with them. All around, they're supposed to be more capable motors than the non-VVTi's, except for the interference design, and their weak rods........

Kelvin, you're the expert on running the VVTi's on standalones; care to jump in here?

Ive run plenty with LINK ecu. I run the drive by wire either the 1uz VVti with the accelerator position on the throttle body or the 3uz with the external pedal assembly. With full cam control we generally head for around 220rwkw on a stock engine. On the same dyno an early non-vvti engine gets around 185rwkw(aftermarket ecu as well) so there's a big difference and the torque is noticeably different to the early engine. Ive even done a few supercharged running the stock ecu for the auto control and aftermarket for the engine.

Motec would be another great option but the most important thing is the tuner is confident in the system that is chosen.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll have to look into LINK. I initially reached out to AEM regarding their Infinity 508H system but didn't have much luck. I emailed haltech last night inquiring about the Elite series 2000 and got a promising response this morning. I briefly looked into Motec after seeing that project panhard Toyota 86 but almost fell over when I saw the price of the M150. I am using the CD009 transmission from a G35 so luckily I won't need to communicate with the original auto.

Ive run plenty with LINK ecu. I run the drive by wire either the 1uz VVti with the accelerator position on the throttle body or the 3uz with the external pedal assembly. With full cam control we generally head for around 220rwkw on a stock engine. On the same dyno an early non-vvti engine gets around 185rwkw(aftermarket ecu as well) so there's a big difference and the torque is noticeably different to the early engine. Ive even done a few supercharged running the stock ecu for the auto control and aftermarket for the engine.

Motec would be another great option but the most important thing is the tuner is confident in the system that is chosen.

You're my backup plan George. Right now I'm just trying to weigh my options. For now I'd like to keep the modifications to a minimum and get this bucket rolling. I don't currently see myself heavily modifying this particular engine however I am committed to the UZ family now and might one day enjoy building another 1 or 3UZ to have as a backup. I like the idea of having a standalone ecu mostly because of it's overall flexibility.

67mUZtang
What's modified about the engine? Boost, itb? Or why else do you consider aftermarket ecu?