VVT heads on non VVT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
You can swap the heads, but you will need everything else from the heads and above. The heads by itself will NOT work. The lower intakes are different angle. Unless you have an adaptor that mate with non vvti lower intake to vvt heads. The heads have different intake angle

everything else from the heads and above mean lower intakes, upper intake, TB, sensors, plugs, injectors, fuel rails and other misc. FYI, you will have a hard time finding the proper size timing belt. I am not sure if VVTi timing belt work on 1uzfe crank pulley (timing pulley)

You can swap the heads, but you will need everything else from the heads and above. The heads by itself will NOT work. The lower intakes are different angle. Unless you have an adaptor that mate with non vvti lower intake to vvt heads. The heads have different intake angle

everything else from the heads and above mean lower intakes, upper intake, TB, sensors, plugs, injectors, fuel rails and other misc. FYI, you will have a hard time finding the proper size timing belt. I am not sure if VVTi timing belt work on 1uzfe crank pulley (timing pulley)

well, I will probably using a custom intakes, so as long as I have the heads, that's the biggest obstacle. Will the timing belts fit directly with the swap?

BTW...anyone have any heads they wanna swap complete heads with me ;)

well, I will probably using a custom intakes, so as long as I have the heads, that's the biggest obstacle. Will the timing belts fit directly with the swap?

BTW...anyone have any heads they wanna swap complete heads with me ;)

vvt is either on or off

vvti is full variable timing control on cam gears

vvt on a 20v 4ag usually advances cam timing by around 15 degrees
so that means 15 degrees or nothing you cannot get any adjustment inbetween 0 and 15

vvti means you can have any cam timing adjustment from 0 to 15 or whatever the engine can do

not many ecus can do this as it is not just on or off

you might be able to use the pwm function on an sm2 but from what ive read

and heard sm2 wont do proper vvti

you need the sm4

just ring or email ray hall in qld see what he recons

or dave at silverwater automotive

if you are goin to try to get the sm2 to do vvti

cause i nearly got stuck the other day with a motec system and when i rang motec them they said it couldnt do a certain function for autos and i thought it could

vvt is either on or off

vvti is full variable timing control on cam gears

vvt on a 20v 4ag usually advances cam timing by around 15 degrees
so that means 15 degrees or nothing you cannot get any adjustment inbetween 0 and 15

vvti means you can have any cam timing adjustment from 0 to 15 or whatever the engine can do

not many ecus can do this as it is not just on or off

you might be able to use the pwm function on an sm2 but from what ive read

and heard sm2 wont do proper vvti

you need the sm4

just ring or email ray hall in qld see what he recons

or dave at silverwater automotive

if you are goin to try to get the sm2 to do vvti

cause i nearly got stuck the other day with a motec system and when i rang motec them they said it couldnt do a certain function for autos and i thought it could

Yeah, one of the ECU's I'm considering is the SM4, along with the Link G2, Hydra, and Wolf. I would actually go motec...but it's double all of the EMS's that I listed and I don't really NEED it...although, if money was no object...

Yeah, one of the ECU's I'm considering is the SM4, along with the Link G2, Hydra, and Wolf. I would actually go motec...but it's double all of the EMS's that I listed and I don't really NEED it...although, if money was no object...

Fully understand that Sideshow. If a PWM table can control an electronic boost control solenoide then it can control the oil solenoide that varies cam position. Yes it won't be ideal as your number of target points will be limited but being Autronic i'm sure the extrapolation between points will be pretty good?

That said, if i did go this way then i'm chasing alot more than my current 6-700hp and any form of VVT would be more a technical talking point than any performance value....i mean if you have 400hp at 4000rpm and VVT gives you 430hp it's nice but not exactly transforming the engine :)

As i said before would likely just go with non VVT aftermarket cams.

Cam belt is a major issue. Thanx for that Lex, will have to look into it.

Fully understand that Sideshow. If a PWM table can control an electronic boost control solenoide then it can control the oil solenoide that varies cam position. Yes it won't be ideal as your number of target points will be limited but being Autronic i'm sure the extrapolation between points will be pretty good?

That said, if i did go this way then i'm chasing alot more than my current 6-700hp and any form of VVT would be more a technical talking point than any performance value....i mean if you have 400hp at 4000rpm and VVT gives you 430hp it's nice but not exactly transforming the engine :)

A few drag racers here have hit this issue at around the 800hp mark? Just splitting bores, i suspect from the crank forces twisting. It wasn't liners letting go by all accounts but the actual block. Racers, so hard to get any real details from them.....grout filled and half grout filled blocks are now the go and one team went to the extreme of making their on billet block.

Have anyone tried cryo treating the aluminum blocks? Got any other info on the setup these guys were runnning when the bore splitting occurs? Maybe the steel blocks are the way to go after all.

I think most people have the wrong idea about VVT - VVTi, it is about control of nitrous oxide and emission regulations, not performance as such. The Toyota and BMW strategy includes AF ratios and ignition timing.
To run VVTi you need feedback on cam position.
To run VVT the cam is switched relative to load and RPM.

Once you have enough duration in a performance application (280deg + off seat) you can not run VVT or VVTi.
280 deg,110LC, IO = 30btdc, IC = 70abdc
Advance 20deg , IO = 10btdc, IC = 90abdc. Inlet close is far too late for any but race engine at 9000/9500rpm +.
Retard 20deg for low end?
IO = 50btdc, IC = 50abdc. Inlet open is too early and overlap increased, more exhaust dilution and reversion.
You are in a lose/lose situation, seems to be worse in turbo applications.

rms your right

you need feedback to the ecu omn where the cam is

anyway all i can say is unless you use these aftermarket ecus every day you never know what they can do and people say they can do this and that but
unless you try yrself you never know

and ive found out that what you read on some forums overall is sometimes hardly ever right

you dont really what to know what i think of forums but leave that for another day

the best thing is to learn the hard way
spend alot of money trying
and dont tell anyone

i have stopped givin info out cause it doesnt get me anywhere and i loose work from it hehehe

Justen,

If you think the oil is an issue, you can tap into the oil gallery from the top and run two lines to the heads. We took a look at it today and it is doable.