Project Thread Vortech on a tired 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Sounds like fun. We can go around ganging up on GS400s :D
What are my options for an intake? I have very little space between the inlet and the radiator. Maybe 2", tops.

Haha, I have a neighbor with a VIP GS, and he needs to be squashed. I have shied away from car clubs etc, figure i will get around to it once I finally finish the project.

A far as intakes go there isn't much option. You can screen it and/or make your own filter to slip in between the t-bolt ans the screen. Or like i did, I took a dremel and trimmed away from my headlight enclosure to the point where I could fit a chop welded 90, attached to a silicone cast 90. Basically I fit a 4" intake that snakes around the blower to completely fill the battery space. There is no direct airflow, but from a particulate standpoint it does the job. I'm in the process of routing ducting to the filter. Running only a screen isn't a bad idea... just make sure you change your oil 2x as often to account for the added dirt. I managed for over a year in a wigh dust/winds climate w/ just a screen. No issues here.

I have the intake at home, I can snap some pics of it in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
I'd love to see those pics. Can't wait for you to head back home to SoCal!
I just did a really crude measurement. 108" on the belt length. Matches up to a Buick Century from 1989. Aren't you running a 113" belt or something huge like that?

Yeah my original belt length was 115". It was the longest 6-rib serpentine belt they offer. However I just deleted an idler and my AC compressor and I re-measured at 99".

If your trying to fine tune your belt, make sure it BARELY fits with the tensioner fully loosened. Thrown belts are the only enemy with a centrifugal blower. It will streatch an inch after it's broken in. When I was fitting my belt I bought a close size and saved the recipt and made sure it never got dirty. Do this and you can try every size Napa has until you get it just right!

Also, I would strongly reccomend a makeshift belt tensioner lock. It's just an "L" bracket with a threaded bolt that braces the spring operated tensioner against the block. I chewed up 3 $45 belts before I realized the stock tensioner wasn't pulling it's weight. I used to have pics on my LS thread but the server crash deleted them. The rare 5-speed sc300 has one from the factory to account for harsh clutch drops.

Last edited:
All right, then in that case I'm getting a 107" and a 108" belt, and will return one or both of them when I'm done :D AutoZone has them for $26/ea, but I can find them online for half the price, sometimes 1/3 the price.

My blower doesn't have air assist, so it's going to be straight drainage from the drain plug offset at the 7 o'clock angle facing towards the engine.

Just got back from AutoZone. The 108" belt is as perfect as perfect gets. I also picked up some SAE30R9 hose for the oil feed. Question is, is 5/16 too big? I might need to go back and get 1/4" instead. Also need to rig the passenger side crank breather with a PCV valve, get the blower aligned properly, move the battery back to the trunk (sigh), rig up an intake pipe, and put some kind of screen on the blower inlet tube before I can test fire it. I'm aiming for startup by Sunday.

Whats the I.D on the V2 oil in port? One of thr turbo brains shuld chime in for some info. I never had to size oil lines. 5/16" ID sounds pretty close from the OD sizes i'v seen. These blowers hold a decent amount of oil so i'm guessing a little extra flow couldn't hurt?

Whats the I.D on the V2 oil in port? One of thr turbo brains shuld chime in for some info. I never had to size oil lines. 5/16" ID sounds pretty close from the OD sizes i'v seen. These blowers hold a decent amount of oil so i'm guessing a little extra flow couldn't hurt?
The oil in port is a 1/8" NPT deal. It has an integrated oil sprayer that also serves to restrict the flow.
I'm thinking that the hose I got is too big. Net research shows the stock size to be -4AN, which corresponds well with 1/4 - - so I should go back and get the 1/4" hose. Besides, it's easier to find 1/8" NPT fittings for 1/4" hose than it is for 5/16" hose. I'll use the 5/16" hose on the fuel pressure regulator.
I'm so close that I can already hear it.. I can't focus on anything else...

Last edited:
I guess if it fits the barbs then you should be fine. Since it has its own restrictor built in you have some room to play with... if the ID is a little larger than the restrictor, the flow will automatically be downsized to the restrictor ID.

How many inches of oil-in line are you expecting to use?

When do you think you'll have all the little bugs ironed out?

Last edited:
I guess if it fits the barbs then you should be fine. Since it has its own restrictor built in you have some room to play with... if the ID is a little larger than the restrictor, the flow will automatically be downsized to the restrictor ID.

How many inches of oil-in line are you expecting to use?

When do you think you'll have all the little bugs ironed out?
I'm expecting to use about 2 feet of oil line. I will buy three just in case. As far as bugs go - in an operational sense, they need to be ironed out by May. But I do want the car at least running by Sunday with boostage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Gz1LY5nsI

Fired it up a moment ago. Very satisfying to hear my Lexus sound like a pissed off vacuum cleaner. Now I need to properly do the battery relocation and put together a filter and charge pipes - and deal with all of that stuff!
An LS400 triad would be legendary. My car looks completely stock. It just doesn't sound stock... LOL...

The LS430s won't see me coming!

Last edited:
Nice!

I like your pulley setup, its a bit different than mine but looks like you have pretty good belt wrap. Keep an eye on the belt for awhile to make sure the alignment is good. I went through a few before I got it 100% right.

You might not need it with low boost but you should consider using something to tighten and manually lock the tensioner.

If, when you connect the pipes, you can't make boost, block off the EGR. Also, don't forget about the PCV hose on the passenger side. You WILL put pressure in the crank case if you don't do something with it.

And, if you ever decide the V2 is not for you, LMK. That thing is sexier than my V-9 and it sounds smoother. Mine has always had a raspy sound to it.

KC

Attachments

• turbom.jpg
    turbom.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: