Volvo Amazon + Lexus SC400 = ???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Coastal

I started this project looking for a car to put a 1uz in. It ranged from a toyota mini truck, but I realized I don't have any basket ball jerseys and don't listen to hip hop, so that was out....Then I thought old corollas....but trying to find a non rusty one for cheap was tough....then I happened upon a 1966 Volvo Amazon....Its such a cool looking little car I had to have one.

Looked on craigslist and there was one for sale for $1000 2 minutes from my house. I went to check it out, and he said he would take $500...done.

Here is how the story unfolds:

Now I have an old car, with old suspension and not much for aftermarket support other than brakes and sway bars. So it had to go, not to mention i needed a few things to make my motor run. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to get a complete lexus, and stick it under the volvo body.

well here goes....

I found a complete running lexus that needed a VI for $900 ....

I want something light, fast, handles good, super reliable, and weird.

I think I got it all:

sc400.jpg

turned that into this in a couple days:

sc400minimized.jpg

cut out the whole rear drive train and floor pan:

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

Built a little subframe to match the width of the inside of the volvo rockers and to keep everything together.

IMG_5173.jpg

Had to shorten the lexus 3" to get the wheelbase perfect:

IMG_5175.jpg

More trimming and now they are one!

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

I am going to get the body dropped even more and build some fender flares sort of like this guy:

122race3.jpg

Mini update, had a few hours on it.... managed to get it about 2.5" lower with dropping the body more. Next up is levelling, squaring, and basically making sure the body is back where it belongs.

I had some help :

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

After a couple week delay I got to here:

I have been really debating what to do for flares etc, and i hate the super high positive offset wheels on there.

These are some wheels I bought years ago that are doing nothing....

18x9.5 and 18x8.5 both +35 offset....If I have to get flares....I might as well get flares and build this thing to fit some tires. rears are 265 vs the stock lexus 205 or 225 whatever they were. Plus if I go this wide there is still room on the inside of the wheel to go in so I could in the future get some 11" wide wheels and some really fat tires if required as well as letting me fit almost any wheel style, the previous method only allowed me tuner type wheels.

Keep in mind this car is still jacked up like a 4x4 and it will be coming down 2" lower with coilovers and the flares will tuck the wheels nicely. So in total I have to cut 4" of the fender out to allow for 2" uptravel at its destined ride height.

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

Onto the fenders, I went with pulled fenders, i just tacked the factory arch on to see what it would look like. I will find an arch off of some car at an auto wrecker that is about 2" wide and a bit bigger diameter.

I am going to alter both the curve of the pulled fender and the remaining curve on the body to make one gentle curve and blend it right in.

Im pretty excited about how its going to look.

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

passenger side quarter is ready for welding, I made a cardboard template of the drivers side curves and pushed and squeezed the other side until it matched.

IMG_5325.jpg

And started a front fender....I ended up using the exact same process, its a bit more difficult since the fender is so short, but I think it will look sweet none the less. I put masking tape over it to get a feel for the curve so I could see the fender, not all the slices. Its turning into one voluptuous brick!

IMG_5326.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

This was an exciting evening....

I wired it from scratch with 3 relays, and the lexus ignition switch, a bunch of marettes, and really only 6 wires running it......

th_IMG_0589.jpg

It came right to life! Sounds like poop, no power steering fluid, and didnt want to rev, but it worked!

You are f**king crazy man!!!!!:eek:
I like people who do crazy things...And your project is amazing!!!!
Thumbs up...!!! :blindfold::cool:
Let us know how the party goes on!

Alex

Last edited:
LOL thanks guys! Its one of the most fun projects I've taken on....Too busy lately to work on it, but I hope to drive it soon!

1uz sounds like crap at low rpms, i think the plugs might be fouled...or who knows what.

I'm back.....shop is cleaned out.....got some new tools....I'm skipping racing this season to finish this car.

16 bolts and the whole front suspension, motor, tranny all comes out! I love it!

Engineandtrannyout.jpg

Started putting it back together, but the supports for the fenders are rusted to ****, I decided that I'm going to rebuild the front end with 1.5" DOM tube and hang the fenders and sheet metal from that, should really stiffen up the front and and will tie the roll cage in nicely.

volvoglued.jpg

And now that the motor and tranny are out.....I can steal the bell housing and test fit my new adapter for the manual tranny!

3f05154a.jpg

79e9a0e0.jpg

aecdfcee.jpg

Got a new die for the tube bender today so I can start making the front end tube work. Its adding some structure to the front end, as well as being contoured to fit the fenders so they have something to mount too. I wasn't planning on tubing the whole front end, but the volvo side was so incredibly rusty, this was the simplest, strongest solution. Tomorrow I should start filling in with more tube down to the frame, and sheet metal in between.

5639262623_48d4979707.jpg

5639262891_aec25064be_z.jpg

5639836568_bb4c88cc63_z.jpg

I think I have it figured for flares now, i've cut and stretched the quarters just a bit more, and I think with the factory lip welded back on it will clear nicely. :)

Anyhow, got some time to work on it today.

started adding some metal where it was missing and turned this:

volvoaddingmetal.jpg

Into this piece:

volvofenders.jpg

I got it another 1.5" at least lower today too, I'm hoping it can stay at this ride height, I will move the coil buckets if I have to. :p

volvoloooow.jpg

Just gluing it together now....i'm fighting the line between race car and street car....I like race car because its faster and easier, and I by no means want this to be a nerdy show car. But I think its looking pretty cool.

3e7d5297.jpg

9f256081.jpg

Coilover adapters to fit the lexus rear lower control arm:

5d0f50fd.jpg

First coat of blue stuff! Finally! Not looking forward to sanding most of it off.

beaca849.jpg

Wheel tubs started:

ab266c69.jpg

Figuring out where to mount the fuel cell:

eda0598c.jpg

Once I'm happy with all the body and structural aspects it's moving to Independent Speed Shop to let Bill wire, plumb and make it run.

Yay Parts!!!

793bff0e.jpg

Did a bit of sanding to see what its gonna look like:

IMG_6247.jpg

Trunk done other than where the coilover mounts go...waiting for my DOM to come in:

IMG_6249.jpg

Ewwwwww, guess I have to build new rockers, and make them out of tube to make a perimeter frame now.

IMG_6269.jpg

The seat of choice...Pro2000.

IMG_6250.jpg