vibration - where is it from?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

brit_lex

Hey dudes,

Even after replacing both engine mounts and transmission mount, I am still suffering from some vibration in the cabin.
a) You can feel the engine vibrating through the car when sitting at idle (regardless of P or D) through the shifter, the steering wheel, the armrest, the seat itself etc.
b) There is a vibration that affects the LH side of the entire car at exactly 84mph, where you can feel it through the wheel too and actually see the passenger seat vibrating like crazy. It tends to appear from 75mph on, peaking at 84mph, and kinda simmers down once you drive through to about 100mph or more.
c) Plus, I'm having a hard time getting rid of vibrations through the wheel at 40-60 despite trying different balancing shops..

The car was vibration free until about 18 months ago.

Any ideas on what to try looking at?

Thanks,

Lex

Vibration At Speed

Hi Guys,
Had the same vibation at speed on a car a few years ago, the whole car/ passenger s seat also shuddered ,spent a fortune having, wheels balanced aligned multiple times, had the drive shaft joints replaced, rebalanced.
Turned out to be new tyres that had been fitted were not round, put them on a tyre trimmer, problem was fixed, car was as smooth as, this was the second set of so called hi performance name brand tyres i have bought, and they were out of round by about 1.5 mil.
Regards Lambo

Lextreme said:
check your engine idle.... possible something is miss firing...
The engine idle seems normal at around 600rpm. I had the sparks replaced last year. I guess it's a case of checking the distributor and the HT wires, right?

Some people think it's a good idea to change the wires after 100k, and I've done 170k..

Lambo said:
Hi Guys,
Had the same vibation at speed on a car a few years ago, the whole car/ passenger s seat also shuddered ,spent a fortune having, wheels balanced aligned multiple times, had the drive shaft joints replaced, rebalanced.
Turned out to be new tyres that had been fitted were not round, put them on a tyre trimmer, problem was fixed, car was as smooth as, this was the second set of so called hi performance name brand tyres i have bought, and they were out of round by about 1.5 mil.
Regards Lambo
Thanks. An interesting point you raise there. I always used to fit Dunlop D8zs to the car and then I tried Michelin Pilot Primacys on the rear and now Dunlop SP Sport 01s on the front. I don't recall the vibration occuring when I had the D8zs on there. So I can go the balancing shop and they can tell if the tyres are not round? Or do I just go back and get Dunlop D8zs fitted all round?

Oh yeah, some more info. The vibration through the car and steering wheel tend to almost disappear when driving on perfectly smooth roads (there were many in my Euro road trip), and I recall the surprise at lack of vibration.

Tyre Vibes

Hi again,
The out of round is not much it could not be seen on a off car balancer,by just spinning the wheel, i had had the wheels balenced at least 4 times by different companies but still no good.
The machine they finally used was a tyre shaver it went under the wheel on the car, and it drove the wheel itself, and you cried as the rubber came off, well not that much really, all it did was take off the smallest high spots, i test drove up the road and the problem i spent 6 months trying to fix was gone. Maybe the shocks in your car are also getting tired, and on a rough surface the out of round tyre sets up an oscillation that the shock can't control as it would be a very fine up and down movement, shocks typically are designed to control large movements,the oscillation would perhaps not start up on a very smooth piece of seal.
Regards Lambo

Lambo said:
The machine they finally used was a tyre shaver it went under the wheel on the car, and it drove the wheel itself, and you cried as the rubber came off, well not that much really, all it did was take off the smallest high spots, i test drove up the road and the problem i spent 6 months trying to fix was gone

Now this would be the technical way of "hazing" or "scrubbing" your tyres, other suggested methods (from the owner of tyre shop) "I still do a few decent burnouts on my new tyres, if you start the wear pattern off flat it has to stay flat"
If nothing else this gives you a resaon to do a couple of burnouts, "no honey im not doing this for fun, i have to do this, its actually to make my tyres last LONGER"

Logan

hey guys, im having this vibration too at around 70+ but tends to smoth out past 85... Kind of the same thing that brit lex was saying, i have only one difference. My only vibrates like this half of the time. And im pretty sure its not my tires becuase 1.) it only does it half the time 2.) I just got new rims and different size tires and problem still occurs.... I had my rotors replaced probebly about 5k ago, so i dont think they are the problem.... My engine idles fine so i dont think thats the problem etiher.... Anybody got any bright ideas? Any insite to this problem would be greatly appriciated. I havent replaced any mounts tho, could that be it?

Thanks,
Nick

I took my car to a shop which has a Hunter GSP9700 vibration control system. It applies the force equivalent to the road surface when balancing, and as such is supposed to take into account any problems with tyres. It's double the price of the normal balancing. I think you can find a shop near you on www.hunter.com - not every garage will have the advanced system.

Certainly, at lower speeds the car has less vibration. I will have to test at highway speeds over the weekend, and let you know.

However, the guy told me that the best way of curing vibrations on the original LS (in his experience) is to put Dunlop D8Zs on the car, since they WERE DESIGNED for the vehicle.

I am new to this forum and so I am not sure if I am in the correct forum. I purchased a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited with a V8. I have never driven a V8 before. The engine has a low roar or rumble sound and I can feel it inside the car. It is like a low vibration. Is this normal of a V8?

im also having a vibrstion or mabr a rotating noise i dont why it sounds like something is toughing the tire but i have taken the tire off and checked everying i have no clue what it could be.

You guys with vibration at around 70-80 MPH... I have the same thing and i decided that i would see if it was maybe an engine problem... well.... i sat in my car in park and i just put the engine at aroun 2,8000 which is about the correct RPMs when you go 75MPH or so. Anyway i just let it set there with 2,800 and sure enough if you let it sit around there, there were some vibrations which i guess is multiplied when your in driving going 75 MPH or so. Then i held it around 3,000 and nothing, no vibrations at all.... very weird in my book. Can anybody else try this experiment that has vibrations at 70-80 MPH and confirm their results?