V8 Supra Swap Tutorial

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Edwin_S said:
Does anyone have some pics as for what the engine mount should look like ?
And what kind of rubbers do you use, the MA70 or the UZZ31 ?
I can get you some pictures in the next day or two when I get mine finished. I am not sure about over there by you, but here in the states, there was a sub frame change in mid 89 that changed the mounts due to the release of the JZA70 w/ the 1JZ engine. The mount stands that I am building are for using the stock late subframe and late mounts from the MA70. Incase you are not familiar with the mounts, the early style had flat, short, square mounts and the late style had tall round mounts. Like I said, mine are for the late style being that my car is a 90 and has that style mount and subframe to begin with.

Tonight we will be making my mounts, i've been measuring and trial mounting both the enginemounts, but i chose the early mounts, because the late model mounts are a bit to high to make a nice solid enginemount in my opinion. I'll make some pictures tonight aswell :)

Oh, and did you modify the subframe? I've read that you need to modify the subframe, otherwise the oilpan doesn't fit in it. I didn't modify my subframe (wich is a late model for the round rubbers), just let the engine sit a little bit lower, and in combination with the early model enginemounts, that fits perfect. Also, the early model mounts are tough as hell, so the engine souldn't move that much to hit the subframe.

Edwin_S said:
I'll make some pictures tonight aswell :)
That would be GREAT!!!!
Edwin_S said:
Oh, and did you modify the subframe? I've read that you need to modify the subframe, otherwise the oilpan doesn't fit in it.
It depends on the type of 1UZ pan you have. If you have UZZ30 oilpan, so no modification required. Phil reported that he had to cut a piece of subframe mounts, but I heard from the guy, who did same swap in Russia, that no need to cut anything. It ties. Hardly, but ties.
In case of mid pan you have to modify subframe or find UZZ30 pan. If front pan - fnd rear one.

here are the pictures that I was talking about. I haven't actually set the engine in yet. I built the stands on a Jig that I built to make it easier to build the stands. (to tight of a working area to do it on the car in my oppinion.)

Taking them to the powder coater tomorrow.

MyPictures0001.jpg

MyPictures0002.jpg

MyPictures0003.jpg

MyPictures0004.jpg

MyPictures0005.jpg

Attachments

• rail1.jpg
    rail1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3
  • rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4
The reason that phil had to cut the mount pads on the subframe was cause the oil pan flange we hitting th inner most edge of the mount pads and not allowing the engine to go in all the way.

From looking at over head pictures of the two subframe, I am thinking that the later one would be fine and the early one has to be trimmed. It might just be an optical illusion to me, but late one looks like the pads are spread further apart. Below are two links to the pictures. The first one is of the early subframe and the second is the late subframe. See what you'll think.......

http://www.turbosupras.com/images/technical/crossmember/ma70%20crossmember%20overhead.jpg

http://www.turbosupras.com/images/technical/crossmember/jza70%20crossmember%20overhead.jpg

Your enginemounts look alot like mine!

02082006(001).jpg

I'm really curious how your engine is gonna sit in the enginebay with those mounts. I think it's gonna be quite high.

My engine sits as low as this:
01082006.jpg

The bottom of the oilpan levels with the subframe, so it can't hit the street when i launch myself on a speedbump :veryhappy

Looks great man. Yeah, our mount stands do look very similar.

Looking at your picture of the motor installed, I cant see why phil had a problem with the oil filter hitting the swaybar.

Yeah, looks like there is tons of clearance.

Well, dont have to worry about my remote filter right off the bat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My motor should sit with the oil pan right at about 1/2" (13mm) above the subframe. I actually gave it a little less clearance then the stock 7M pan which has about 5/8" (16mm) clearance to the subframe

Oh, and by the way. In the swap tutorial mentioned at the beginning of this thread, Phil mentioned this about the auto trans: "If I did it again I would investigate the viability of swapping the Supra trans oil pan (and dipstick tube) onto the Crown trans to see if it cleared any better."

I've tested it today.... it doesn't fit.

the cheapest method possible to use a stock W58 in a MKII. my plan is for simple and cheap since w58s are...however I see the package crs and then a package from NZ from some member in 2003 who knows if thats still around. Seems like a whole package would be easiest and hopefully cheapest.

BTW, Edwin_S, what about clearance of brake booster and engine head? Do you use stock one or, as advised by Phil, smaller one? I'll have to put crown 7 degree bellhousing, so just guessing how does it fit.