V8 IS300 swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Brad Bedell

To summarize, I have a Yellow 2002 Sportcross, I'm installing a 1999 GS400 engine into it. While doing this, I am also repainting the car to a better color of yellow.

I started disassembling the car for paint and the engine swap earlier today. I only had a few hours, so I had to stop before I got too far into it.

I have a photo diary and some basic commentary here:
http://bedellracing.home.comcast.net/v8swap/

If you're too lazy to click, here are some photos:

Left rear, mostly disassembled and ready to start paint prep. (I still need to remove some trim, door handles and glass)
sportcross1.jpg

sportcross2.jpg

sportcross4.jpg

sportcross6.jpg

The photo numbers go up sequentially if anyone is feeling nosy

-B

Wow,I rarely see any Sportcrosses at work...and never ever saw one in yellow.
I'm also digging your MR2 V6 swaps.

Progress!
sportcross11.jpg

AC lines are done, I'll probably have the fuel lines done today also. PS lines are going to be a bit tricky as the Rack & pinion input shaft/knuckle doesn't leave much room for a set of headers.

In any case, it's comming out here in a few hours so that I can finish cleaning off everything from the engine bay in preperation of paint work.

-B

Progress !

*Whew* I survived the internals of a toyota Automatic transmission...
Highlights of the day:
sportcross36.jpg
sportcross39.jpg

I find it amazing how different this color looks in different lighting. It should be fun to match up if I ever need to.
-B

Okay, I'm tired of talking to myself. It's 98% done. I'm out driving it around daily now. Just a hand full of things to finish wiring in, clean up the patch harness and abuse it daily to see what breaks first. :)

sportcross43large.jpg

Very slick install. Very impressive workmanship. Congrats.

Whats the performance like? Also what tranny does it run - newer 5 speed auto?

MacroP said:
Very slick install. Very impressive workmanship. Congrats.

Whats the performance like? Also what tranny does it run - newer 5 speed auto?
Thanks!. The transmission is a hybrid of the GS400 650e and IS 650e (5 speed auto)

I ended up needing to swap several parts to make it fit the V8 with the IS driveshaft. At the end, I feel I ended up with a pretty bullet proof transmission that should be OEM reliable.

As for performance, I have a 4.10 rear end gear in the car, it flat jumps out of the hole and never stops pulling. The torque may be deceptive, but it feels faster than my Mr2. (which ran consistant mid 12's)

Been following your thread on my.is and gotta give you major props!!! Your dedication and knowledge is a great asset to the lexus community.

Brad

What ECU do you have on the engine bay - for my 1JZ conversion I used an Autronic SM2 in parallel with my IS200 ECU in the same box. You seem to have used one ECU only.

grahamd said:
Brad

What ECU do you have on the engine bay - for my 1JZ conversion I used an Autronic SM2 in parallel with my IS200 ECU in the same box. You seem to have used one ECU only.
I used only the 99 GS400 ECU. I got lucky, *most* of the BEAN code is identical in the 99my. SO far, the only things not working are the traction control and engine coolant temp gauge.

-B

Had a similar coolant temp gauge problem on my son's Soarer after an ECU change and it was an earthing issue. There was an earth wire behind the LH head near the firewall that had to be connected for it to work. Without that wire it wouldn't work even with another earth attached near the sender unit. I think that was the Soarer dash though - it reads the resistance in the earthing circuits. Anything different it wouldn't work.

For coolant temp I fitted the original Lexus sender unit into the 1JZ engine to keep the sender type matched to the ECU. Think the 1UZ is different to the IS sender.
For traction control I used the Autronic for that independant of the Lexus. Only problem now is the Traction Control Off light blinking on the dash. Might have to cut the wire from the Lexus Traction contol ECU that sends that signal.

This isn't a traditional gauge system. The IS300 and GS400 temp sensor has a sensor signal and sensor ground (two wire to it) This is all 'factory' for the v8 setup. The IS and GS ECU take that signal, translate it to BEAN code and then sends that signal to the dash cluster via the MPX 1 or MPX2 signal.

-B

Sounds like you have done your research well then - good luck with tracing the problem. The IS200 is a similar system with the MPX system. Had similar fun getting the air-con to work as well.

grahamd said:
Sounds like you have done your research well then - good luck with tracing the problem. The IS200 is a similar system with the MPX system. Had similar fun getting the air-con to work as well.
I do thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunatly, I have researched it pretty deep. The only 'solution' that would get it working correctly is to run the IS300 factory ECU in parallel to the GS400 ECU. Seeing how everything but the coolant gauge and trac control is working, I do not feel this is a 'reasonable' solution. I'll get something to work, even if it's as simple as a dummy 'overheating' LED.

I'm pretty sure I can retrofit an older coolant gauge into the instrument cluster and get it working. It's just a matter of finding the correct electronics to best fit the cluster.

-B

Wow Brad, that project came together lightning fast. I'm hoping that we don't encounter the same problem with the coolant guage with the Supra build.

Eric

cowboy bebop said:
Wow Brad, that project came together lightning fast. I'm hoping that we don't encounter the same problem with the coolant guage with the Supra build.

Eric
You won't. The supra uses a resistor to ground (single wire) type gauge. Yellow with green stripe if I recall correctly. You'll just want to make sure that you have your two wire coolant sensor for the ECU of choice and the single wire sensor for the gauge cluster.

If you need any specific wiring diagrams, I'll be happy to snatch a couple for you. I purchased a year's subscription to the toyota techinfo site.
-B

Wow... great work...saw your car on my.is too. Would you think what you have learned from this swap will be applicable to the lexus is200, like the multiplex and BEAN wiring stuff? Any plans for a kit?

jemjem said:
Wow... great work...saw your car on my.is too. Would you think what you have learned from this swap will be applicable to the lexus is200, like the multiplex and BEAN wiring stuff? Any plans for a kit?
I may do a header kit sometime in the future, also I might look into a wiring kit. The PS lines and AC lines will be very difficult for me to do as I really don't have an easily available supply of hose ends to make it all work. Most salvage yards around here cut the engines out and leave the hoses for the crushers.

As for BEAN stuff, I still don't have a 'stand' alone solution. I've learned more than I wanted to know about it, but I'm still lacking quite a bit of info.

-B

dude that is nice the color is not my likeing but to each there own. Im getting ready to put a 95 SC400 1uzfe in a 85 supra any advice? I already know Ive got to get a new oil pan and pump.