V8 conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

diver

to whom it may concern,

i wanting to put in a lexus v8 quad cam engine into my 1986 toyota hilux, but don't know where to start. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on what has to be done to fit this engine. Like what kind of transmission is needed, does the bellhousing have to shave back, what has to be replace or mover to fit this engine in.

Welcome to Lextreme Diver!
I'm a bit of a newby too but nonetheless share your enthusiasm
icon10.gif

I have an 82 4x4 single cab that started with a 2.2 Diesel, then a 2.4 with extractors, then a 2.4 Turbo and am currently putting a 1UZFE into and mate.... Its a job.

Here's a few things for you to ponder before starting (bearing in mind you may already have some of these mods done to your rig....):

To my knowledge nobody makes the engine mounts to bolt on, they have to be fabricated.

Bellhousing kits (bellhousing, flywheel, cluth pressure plate, driven plate, spigot, throwout and fork) are available to mate your V8 to your original 5 speed to make things easy or you can fork out an extra 3g for a dyna 5 speed from Marks 4wd adapters as i have done. They are one seriously tough box. I know someone down here that has used an auto box but internal mods required to mate that to a transfer case also.

Computer. Bout a grand. unless you get a half cut and run the standard ECU but everyone has told me its very hard to setup??
Wiring it up an aftermarket one is pretty straight forward (i'm a mechanic so not sure how hard it really is if you havnt done that sort of thing before). I'm using a microtech ECU and its all labelled, schematics, the lot.

Exhaust from scratch.

I think your model has a longer engine bay so radiator may fit with push fans.

I needed a minimum of 2 inch body lift for my clutch master to clear the rocker cover which led to having the steering shaft lengthened (actually, remade to pass transport)
I also think you may have the smaller universal at the bottom of your column in the firewall which should be right to clear the RH rocker.....

Depending on your "offroad style" you may need to upgrade your diff to a landcruiser spec to handle the extra load meaning changing rear AND front diffs to the 4.11 ratio.

Also depending on WHICH 1uzfe you source, you may need to reloctae your oil filter as my Crown filter mount was hitting on the LH chassis rail...

Engine is VERY close to the firewall also so you'll have to lose that handbrake mounting. Someone on here used a surf cablr that goes on the INSIDE of the firewall but i am relocating to centre floor.

I've probably missed a few things there but ALWAYS be prepared for your budget to blow-out just a bit....
icon11.gif

Oh yeah, fuel pumps and surge tank if you havnt already got 'em.....

Your main costs are (approx): engine $1100.00, computer $1000.00, exhaust $depends what u want, bellhousing kit$1300.00

Its not as scary as it would appear. But i figured best be prepared for ALL eventualities!!! STILL..... worth EVERY PENNY to hear that baby purr in the only 4x4 worthy of one!!!
icon10.gif
icon7.gif

Sorry so LONG!!
icon11.gif

Dear white belt,

Sorry for taking so long to reply back just been caught up with work. Thanx so much for all the information that you had given me, it was a big help to starting on the conversion, though i was just wondering where did u get your bellhousing kit and where did you get all your adaptors from and what did u get fabricated.

I got MY bellhousing kit from Castlemaine rodshop. Apparantly dellows also does them but i am not familiar with them. As for adapters, i'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're ONLY changing the engine, the only adapters you're using will be the bellhousing kit and will need to fab some engine mounts....?

As for metal fab.... what DIDNT i get made!! I'm still going with my project as its an inside/outside o/haul costing bout $15k so its a bit hard to pinpoint...... I'm no welder. Love to try it but no opprtunity/time to do so... metal fab to install again, just the engine, would be an intake (unless you use factory tubing from a lexus or another vehicle), engine mounts, exhaust and as i believe (i may be wrong) my 82 engine bay is shorter so i had the front cut out and an R.H.S. frame welded in to accomodate a custom aluminium radiator.
smileysex5.gif

I'm also using a microtech ECU but of course there are other options available...

One suggestion i WILL make is to check the other threads for similar projects (swaps/conversions, 4x4 off road) See what 'guts' and 'twisty toy94' have done. Both vehicles have been featured in Australia 4x4 monthly with photo's on this site also. Pioneer's..........
icon14.gif

oh yeah..... And the sump. If you dont have a rear sump, you'll have to get it modified or made, to clear the steering/diff.
And unless you want to try and fit headers in there, you're gonna need Crown manifolds (log type) that run straight along the block or they'll foul on the chassis rail's as well....
icon11.gif

Hi there

Sorry to hijack your post. I see there's a lot of Toyota info here. I know nothing about Lexus V8's (more a chevy / ford small block V8 fan) so excuse my stupidity. One question:

Will the std. 5spd Hilux box be strong enough to handle the V8? I am sick and tired of my Hilux 2.4 turbo diesel's donkey performance and am busy considering the lexus V8. I want to keep everything Toyota.

for starters it all depends on which model 5speed your using. "i'm told" :blindfold that fifth gear isnt much chop with the extra torque pushing through the gears but i know of vehicles that have Holden V8's and they're using standard diffs and box.

Driving style and how hardcore u go is going to be the major factor here i think.

If you're only looking for a bit of extra push for bigger wheels and u'r an easy-going driver u shouldnt have too many worries. But if u hate the black-top and either try to scorch it with the wheels or leave it behind and head bush a lot, i'd upgrade and save the pain of dragging it out of the bush crippled......:approve: