Video 1976 Chrylser Centura with Toyota Crown V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fugly

A few details and photos of my 1976 chrysler centura with a 1990 toyota crown v8 motor, a celsior sump, engine management, autronic SMC, gearbox 1990 toyota crown.

Gearbox controller, tiptronic controller made by Russel Koehne, extractors made using 1"3/4 mandrel bends by alex cranston, autronic wiring was done by Dave Kriedeman and Tuned by Ray Hall.

Fuel system, fuel tanks, breather tank & swirl pot were all fabricated by Jason Chalk.

I performed all of the mechanical installation/fabrication work.

Performance so far 214.3rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno in shoot out mode, 14.3 at 167kph measured using a G-tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work :)

I love these cars, I used to have one with a 265 Hemi and 4 speed. Such a fun car to drive. Im sure it would be even more fun with a 1uz :)

You picked a car with HUGE engine bay. I can't believe how big it is.

Can I ask what did you tig up on the front of the engine. I noticed you run an alternator only but am curious why the welding.

Does the old clutch pedal double as a footrest?

To tidy up the front of engine i knocked the fan hub bearing out,machined the bracket down,shaped a piece of aluminium and got it welded on,looks much better.
I should have done the unused belt tensioner as well.

The clutch pedal,you spotted it,pretty lazy ay? never know when you might need it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which engine is it?

The sump says LS400/Celsior and the plastic covers say Crown but the plenum says SC400! I guess the pulley you removed was the oil pump for the radiator fan and not the fan drive?

The motor is from a toyota crown (1990 going by the date on the plug leads)
I swaped the original crown sump for a celsior sump (got that off bullet supercars)
As far as the inlet manifold that's what came on the engine.
My motor (being crown) never had an oil pump in that position,just a large bearing for the belt driven fan to mount on.

CAZMAN,Yes it was a lot of fun,at best i got 247rwhp out of the 265 with fuel injection.
The toyota V8 still has some catching up to do,which it will with some boost or nitrous.

PRO240c,Yes i did all of the mechanical/fabrication work other than,
EXTRACTORS. by Alex Cranston.
WIRING.by Dave Kreideman.
TUNING so far. by Ray Hall.
TAILSHAFT BALANCING.by NERCO.
FUEL TANK,BREATHER TANK & SWIRL POT.by Jason Chalk.

thats great!!!!

i thought i was the only fool that has a chrysler and a V8 toyota,
i have a 1970 VG 2 door coupe with a 265 and my toyota celsior,
there must be a half breed...... chrysler and toyota???.....

still the cennys a definate winner

scotty g

Thank you.
I actually miss the 265, it went harder than the 1uz does at the moment,but the 1uz has a lot of potential though with some sort of boost on it.
Have you done many mod's to your 265?
Are you going to post any photo's?

yeah i still love my 265,
im working more on the body of it at the moment.
the front suspension has been fixed at some point (dodgy)
just grinding and repair properly where it was done and have now wired in my pacer dashboard, the coupe was a regal that was distributed to the executives of the chrysler company here in SA.
then it was used as a paddock car up in burra in the country
that why i had to bash the undercarridge str8 again.
this is a pic that i took about a month ago, havent dont much, if anything at all since then.
sorry if the pic files r a lil big

good cars i had 3 of one with 245 one with worked 265 and one with a worked 318 v8 ones go around corners better the v8 was good for 13ens 1/4 mile yours looks good with the 1uz.fe in it i have a 1uz.fe in a ra60 celica toyota bit smaller in eng bay ..nice car all the best..

I love VG 2 doors :)

So have you centura guys ripped the rear trailing arms out of the floor ?
Ive a couple of friends with 265 centuras have this problem.
Seems to be the only negative about the centura. I guess the frenchy simca 4 cylinder models werent designed for the aussie hemi power :)

Scott G, Looks like you have a way to go, show us pic's as you go.
That looks like a nice shed you got there, just curious, what's the car behind the hoist?

Heartland, you got any photo's of your celica anywhere on this site? i take it you've given up on the centura's

Cazman, There are lots of negatives with the centura's, I have not actually ripped my upper trailing arms out, i have had to weld up a few cracks in the top mounts now & then. That was a few years back in my last car that i raced a bit, to a best of 12.6@107mph (265 manual with about 190rwhp).

hey fugly
the car behind the hoist is an all steel 1934 chev roadster with a 265 hemi with 3 x delorto 48mm carbys, 4 speed box, 9 inch, my dad has spent the last 35 years building this car from the ground up.
the car to the left of the pic is a 46 ford ute with a 307 chev.
yeah my sheds pretty neat, my dad fell down the pit at my uncles place a few years back and i convinced him that a hoist was the way to go.

Regards

Scott G

Updated engine bay photos & details.
ENGINE is still stock standard. now a LS400 1UZ(had an piston melt in the last engine)
BLOWER KIT (using a HARROP HE112 blower) from BULLET SUPERCARS.
BLOWER PULLEY is 90mm o/d produces 9lb boost.
THROTTLE BODY modified standard crown.
INJECTORS are 7MGTE (black tops)
COMPUTER is still the same AUTRONIC SMC

Last engine with standard injectors with blower was dynoed at 317rwhp at 6500rpm.(power still going up but limiter set at 6500rpm)
With current engine & injectors ,i have run best of 12.3sec quarter & best of 112mph in full street trim (full exhaust including standard ls400 cats), tyres were 225/60/15 GT radials.
THE CENTURAs weight is 1320kgs with full fuel tank, i weigh 100kgs