Update on Paul Carey UZFE powered Drag Car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Testing Saturday

OK - an update on the 2UZFE blown alky RX-7.

We had a test n tune Saturday at the Kwinana Motorplex, and we got three passes in. I took out a heap of blower and timing, fattened her up to get the car down the track straight and got an 8.43 et @ 160mph on the third pass.

Not bad considering it was so rich. All the chassis work paid off, as all it took was three flats on the ladder bars to get it to go straight.

Heads are off now to resolve exhaust valve leakage on the leakdown. Oil filter came out perfect, so the CNC brace worked a treat on the two bolt mains . Will get photos organised of all this for you all.

Regards PC

Season is over for us here in Perth so thought I would give you guys a quick update. managed to go from the 7.90 down to a 7.36 @ 186 mph on the last meet.
A few details:
New block is perfect - stripped down once - bearings like new.
RX-7 weighs 2450 lb with driver and fuel.
Managed a 1.09 sixty foot with two speed powerglide.
48 pounds boost - 25% over on a B Series PSI blower.
Rev it to 10,500 rpm in first and top.
Still 4.7 litres.
Cracked heads numerous times and had trouble with seats and leakdowns despite every imaginable technique.
Billet heads being made now. Standard head in Solid Works ready to be modified.
I reckon it will do a six next season.

Not the first though - the twin turbo 4.0 Lexus Soarer of the Gulloto's just went 6.91 this weekend. 5 speed lenco though.

PC
www.aeroracing.com.au

Last edited:
Congrats Paul, you're really a trail blazing pioneer and an inspiration for the rest of us!

Now that the block is setup in a CNC program, and you know it works, what would you guess its cost would be if someone wanted to buy one from you?

Any guesstimate yet on the billet heads? I'm assuming you've decided to shape the ports a little better than Mr. Toyoda did?

No worries Cribbj

Pricing on the block is underway. The heads are in with Rory Taylor - Perth's blown alky guru. He ported Jay Uptons head he made from billet. Jay has that awesome nitro honda bike. Rory is into nitro funny cars now but knows blown alky backwards. He did say the ports have to be different for turbo - which may get done later. But I prefer the wind bag on top - nothing like driving a blown car.

PC

Latest update guys.

Still no cnc heads, as our sponsor is so busy. So we ran with standard heads again last season just finished. Started back around the 7.4's and managed a 7.18 at he last meeting. Ran 4th overall in the Outlaws Championship.

Heads are junk though - cracks etc. So we will wait for the new heads. In the meantime my mentor John Zappia has convinced me to put some cubes into it. So I have new 3.85 pistons and liners ordered - and going from 9:1 right up to 11:1 comp. A new billet crank is being made by a Kiwi guy living in the USA - 3.75 stroke with normal width chev large journal big ends. That will give us 349 cubes! Should be pretty stout I reckon. Our car is always out like a rocket to half track but not the best in the second half - these mods should fix that.

Photos soon.

Pc

Hey Paul, at what point does this motor stop being called a Toyota 1UZ, and you start calling it a DOHC SBC? :D

Looks like you'll be about there with these latest mods, M8, and it ought to be a real monster.......

Cribbj

You're right about that. We will actually be calling the engine an AERO Quad Cam, based on the Lexus. The only 1UZFE parts left will be the main bearings, and cam gears, belt and tensioner. All the rest has been modified.

PC

Latest update guys.

Still no cnc heads, as our sponsor is so busy. So we ran with standard heads again last season just finished. Started back around the 7.4's and managed a 7.18 at he last meeting. Ran 4th overall in the Outlaws Championship.

Heads are junk though - cracks etc. So we will wait for the new heads. In the meantime my mentor John Zappia has convinced me to put some cubes into it. So I have new 3.85 pistons and liners ordered - and going from 9:1 right up to 11:1 comp. A new billet crank is being made by a Kiwi guy living in the USA - 3.75 stroke with normal width chev large journal big ends. That will give us 349 cubes! Should be pretty stout I reckon. Our car is always out like a rocket to half track but not the best in the second half - these mods should fix that.

Photos soon.

Pc

and....
your putting turbos on now too ???
:cool:

Cribbj

You're right about that. We will actually be calling the engine an AERO Quad Cam, based on the Lexus. The only 1UZFE parts left will be the main bearings, and cam gears, belt and tensioner. All the rest has been modified.

PC
when do i get a drive ???:)