Update on Paul Carey UZFE powered Drag Car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Just got some new pictures from Paul Carey. His car is almost done. I supplied the 2uzfe shortblock and he supplied everything else. He has lots of custom parts and will be breaking some records. Here are some pictures....

The FB is such a great drag platform. Easily swappable rearends with solid axles with a range from 9 inch to 8.8s out of ford 5.0s (like I did with mine). I had a ford turbocoupe 2.3T converted to 16 valve volvo cyl head and a t3/t4 turbo. Thing hauled but i'm not a big dragger and wanted to go with an IRS setup so I baught my MKII supra =).

Can you imagine this car in your rearview mirror?
attachment.php

First pass in the blown 2UZFE hybrid

Well we finally got to the the drag strip, and gave the new blown alky 2UZFE a run.
2007_westerns_02.jpg

Short report and photos
http://www.aeromanagement.com.au/racing/outlaw_news.html

This motor uses a 2UZFE steel block from Lextreme, the four bolt Lextreme conversion, and 1UZFE crank and heads.

...and believe me - it's a monster. We will be back out in a month or so to complete some full passes.

Regards PC

Paul,

You are the man.... I feel so honor that you gave me a chance to serve you. Its just Awesome..... Please give us more info.... and I am drooling....

2007_westerns_01.jpg

I can see how awesome this monster really is by looking at the background. Spectators are plugging there hears.

The 2UZFE heads and crank are different, but not readily available here in Oz, and cams and manifolds are here off the shelf. That is the main reason for using this combo - as drag racing tends to use parts up pretty quick.

Will have detailed info later on the under bucket shim conversion we did using off the shelf RB26 Nissan parts that fit in.

Regards PC

Paul,

Any dyno or ET numbers?

Taken from Aero's site (I hope you guys don't mind?):

Chassis: Series I Mazda RX-7. AERO full tubular chassis, with 38 x 17 tubs. Two Top Doorslammer type 36" 4130 swing-arms

Rear Wing: AERO 2024T3 Aluminium lightweight aerospace.

Weight: 2300lb

Wheelbase: 97 inches

Engine: Toyota Quad Cam V8. 282 cubes.

Horsepower: 1200hp +

Maximum RPM: 10,000.

Fuel: Methanol.

Injection: Enderle mechanical injection. 110 Pump, Hat, Dribbler and Port Nozzles.

Compression: 9.5

Supercharger: "B" Series PSI Screw Blower

Block: Toyota 2UZFE steel block, fully grouted, O-ringed, Lextreme designed 4-bolt main conversion by AERO.

Crank: Lexus 1UZFE, polished, offset ground.

Pistons CP Custom blown alcohol

Bearings: Toyota mains, Clevite SBC rod.

Rods: GRP SBC 5.7" small journal ally

Heads: 1UZFE Lexus, O-ringed, 100lb Crow springs, AERO under-bucket shim conversion, standard valves.

Head Gaskets: Ridgecrest solid copper

Cams; 4 Crow blown alcohol special grind

Manifold Cast bottom, billet spacer and top plate by AERO

Ignition: Mallory Supermag IV

Spark Plug Leads: 11mm solid core

Spark Plugs: NGK

Exhaust Headers: AERO zoomies

Hoses & Fittings: Aeroquip.

Component Coatings: TBA.

Oil Pan: Bravo Resources 6100 ally, AERO modifications and fittings. Nappy.

Oil Pump:peterson external pump. RDC pump drive.

Lubricants: Penrite

Oil Filter: System 1 remote filter.

Bell Housing: Lexus

Gearbox: WAR Race Powerglide Auto

Clutch: FTC High Stall auto - 5,500 rpm

Differential: 9" HD braced housing, 35 spline Moser axles, Mark Williams billet yokes, Romec 4130 full spool, Strange noddy case 3.50" bearings, Spicer solid uni joints.

Wheels: Front: 3.5 x 15 Cragar; Rear 15 x 15 Cragar.

Tyres: Mickey Thompson - Front: 24.5 x 4.5 x 15; Goodyear Rear: 33.5 x 15 x 15.

Safety Equipment: Stroud 5 Point Racing Harness, Stroud SFI-20 Suit.

Special thanks to:

The CREW - tireless volunterr efforts.

Dave from Lextreme - great information and parts supply.

John from Otter Engines - precision engine building.

John Zappia from Zappia Racing - bloody legend.

Vic Donnas from Street Scene - following in his footsteps.

Peter Periano from Pirannah Racing - wild men from Rockhampton.

Danny from Performance Mods - prompt, acurate machine work.

Niel from Sweeting and Denny - prompt, acurate machine work.

Graham and the boys at Southside Engine Center for great machine and head work

Dean from Fremantle Torque Converters for a trick converter

Ben Russell for helping with paint and composite work.

Holy crap! Check out those stats! And Lex, you are famous!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested to hear about this shim under bucket, especially if you can run high lift cams (13mm) without any special race coatings

What is the lift/duration of the cams you are using if you don't mind giving out that info, or at least info enough to disclose what type of base pressure/area your buckets are receiving? Do the nissan parts have special coatings on them or anything? I hope those parts will fit a 2uz head as well!

The 2UZFE heads and crank are different, but not readily available here in Oz, and cams and manifolds are here off the shelf. That is the main reason for using this combo - as drag racing tends to use parts up pretty quick.

Will have detailed info later on the under bucket shim conversion we did using off the shelf RB26 Nissan parts that fit in.

Regards PC

Damn that makes me like the U series engines that much more, wow- I can only imagine what the new 5.7 will be capable of (or what can be cross matched parts wise)

Our application is racing obviously. We run .470" lift with 320 degrees duration, 2UZFE buckets and 100 lb Crow single race springs.
I used the RB26 valve spring retainers because the 2UZFE retainers are too small in diameter (2UZFE springs are much smaller than 1UZFE) and did not fit the Crow springs. The RB26 retainers fit perfectly and were cheap and on the shelf at the local Nissan dealer. When we went to assemble the valves, we found the 1UZFE collets placed the retainer at the wrong height - RB26 collets fixed that. Interestingly we tried the RB26 bucket in the hole - and it fits exactly (and has a larger area under the bucket in the boss area for the shim). We had to mill .040" out of the spring base area, because the springs coil bound .020" after max lift (.060" recommended). With custom made shims the assembly went together nicely - although we do not run valve seals. You would have to check that clearance first. With only one run on the engine, we will be watching these details and wear patterns closely.

What is the latest on the 5.7 engine - is that coming out? I would love those extra cubes.

PC

I'd be interested to hear about this shim under bucket, especially if you can run high lift cams (13mm) without any special race coatings

What is the lift/duration of the cams you are using if you don't mind giving out that info, or at least info enough to disclose what type of base pressure/area your buckets are receiving? Do the nissan parts have special coatings on them or anything? I hope those parts will fit a 2uz head as well!

Thank you for your reply,

I have heard from various sources that the 2uz buckets should be replaced when running a high lift cam, my cam of choice is to be something with 13mm of lift and 265 degrees of duration. I was told this is too much for the stock shims/buckets and that the base area is not large enough.

My car is a street car and will have valve seals, so I appreciate that advice!

Do you feel this nissan hybrid setup can withstand the cam I listed above with the proper nose pressure? I forget the diameter of the bucket (maybe 33mm?) , but I don't want to have to machine it for a larger bucket ... what do you think?

Our application is racing obviously. We run .470" lift with 320 degrees duration, 2UZFE buckets and 100 lb Crow single race springs.
I used the RB26 valve spring retainers because the 2UZFE retainers are too small in diameter (2UZFE springs are much smaller than 1UZFE) and did not fit the Crow springs. The RB26 retainers fit perfectly and were cheap and on the shelf at the local Nissan dealer. When we went to assemble the valves, we found the 1UZFE collets placed the retainer at the wrong height - RB26 collets fixed that. Interestingly we tried the RB26 bucket in the hole - and it fits exactly (and has a larger area under the bucket in the boss area for the shim). We had to mill .040" out of the spring base area, because the springs coil bound .020" after max lift (.060" recommended). With custom made shims the assembly went together nicely - although we do not run valve seals. You would have to check that clearance first. With only one run on the engine, we will be watching these details and wear patterns closely.

What is the latest on the 5.7 engine - is that coming out? I would love those extra cubes.

PC

Looks like our experiment with the 2UZFE block in blown alky trim did not pass muster. Huge 3 inch crack around No 4 main in the block. The area is a little weak and thin to continue with this idea.
We are now making plans to CNC a billet 2UZFE block (no cooling) with 6 bolt mains that is super strong (2,000hp with 60lb boost) from 6061 T6 ally.
Will keep you all informed.

PC