Twin turbo UZ ST185

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Will non VVTi 2UZ cams fit the 1UZ VVTi motors? I must admit I've not paid much attention to the later motors.

Justen, you know your Richwood and/or Bullet intake manifolds won't fit on those VVTi heads? What are you going to do with 'em?

Apparently they do fit John.....i have been caught out with interweb assurances before but no real way to check except to try? The heads i'm getting are without cams so at the very least i need to source VVTi items.

Yup, fully aware my non VVTi inlet gear will not fit. It'll be up for sale i guess.

My tow car will hopefully be UZ powered as well so i have a use for the M90 and one of my Richwood manifolds ;)

The ITBs, the fabricated Bullet setup and another Richwood with plenum flange are all up for grabs i guess?

Well the car is a coupla feet off the ground and the old engine is out.

The new short block is done with pics to come once it's safe in my garage. Here are the build sheets though:

shortblockspecsII.jpg

shortblockspecs.jpg

Shoot, I'm impressed that your builder actually produced build sheets!

Many of the good 'ole boy builders around here don't produce these.

Haven't figured out if that means they're illiterate and can't, too lazy and don't, or just nervous and won't.

They certainly would help when you're trying to remember what was put into XYZ engine, a year or so after it's built!

Justen, can you try to get us a deck height before the long block gets assembled, and add it to this thread: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12289&highlight=deck+height

I'll be pulling the heads on my #1 motor soon, and I'll try to get a deck height from it then.

Would also be great to have your head heights.

cheers guys. I figure if they are getting paid good coin for the work the least they can do is show me they have done ;) besides, it was the engine builder for our National Rally champ who just happens to have won his 1st titles in my model Celica :) A bit of a perfectionist.

This i actually Ed's old engine with custom SPS pistons and the deck height is fairly extreme...i haven't measured it yet but pistons are very clearly proud of the block deck. HG selection and cam lift will be critical :eek:

Attachments

• 04302009136.jpg
    04302009136.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 04302009137.jpg
    04302009137.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 5
Built engine is on hold as can't fund the VVTi head rebuild and a new garage and roof my large rear deck...damn drought killed my money tree ;)

So, i sourced a stocky to slot back in for fun times in the interim. Looks like it had swallowed some water though and a few valves were seized. freed them up but worried about the valve seat seal given the amount of rust?

I did a leak down test today on the suss engine....results were pretty good but i'm not convinced. The good cyls 1 & 3 came in around 95% with the suspect 5 & 7 92% and 95% respectively.

You could hear and feel the air leaking past the inlets in 3, 5 and 7 though so far from a great seal? I am quite surprised that the results came back so good actually but the % leak was consistent across a range of pressures. In fact, once up over 70psi the engine would turn over so had to keep one hand on the shifter to stop the crank turning. No1 had the best seal and would try and turn over from 50psi.

This is inconclusive for me and i'm still at a loss of whether to try and fire this engine up or start sourcing another?

Thoughts

Justen, since slotting it in your car is a major PITA, why don't you try test running it on the engine stand? Not long enough for it to overheat or anything, but just to get the oil circulating, and perhaps work those valves a bit and get them freed up?

Additionally, if you've got a 1/2" drill motor, or a hefty air tool, you could roll the engine over that way, using the front dampner bolt. That would be a good exercise before you actually ran it.

I'd probably try to get some light oil down around the lifters to free up the valves before I ran it. Probably ought to do the same for the cylinder bores.

This ought to give you an idea whether it's going to be a keeper or an anchor....

Hey John,,
The engine has been consuming a regular diet of light oil and WD40 for the last coupla weeks ;) 4 inlet valves were seized from the rust on the stem but got them all freed up and engine spins nice. Makes good whooshing noises so there's at least some compression in all cyls.

Just a bit weird the leak down result is so high, but with what seems to be quite a decent leak past the valve seats?

Good idea on the air tool though, i'll give the thing a good spin.

About time! (like I have room to talk :))

OK, so what's up your sleeve with that top adapter assembly? The front port I get, and the rear port sorta looks like it's for the bypass, but do you think it's big enough? :D Jeez, you could nearly fall in!

Are you putting a W2A core in that adapter, or in the manifold?

Methinks maybe this will be another twincharge setup? That's the reason for the, ahem, whopper of a bypass port?

Put your thinking cap on and help us all come up with a good way of distributing the boost better on these forward discharge SC's. Our front cylinders really do run leaner & meaner than the rest.

About time! (like I have room to talk :))

OK, so what's up your sleeve with that top adapter assembly? The front port I get, and the rear port sorta looks like it's for the bypass, but do you think it's big enough? :D Jeez, you could nearly fall in!

Are you putting a W2A core in that adapter, or in the manifold?

Methinks maybe this will be another twincharge setup? That's the reason for the, ahem, whopper of a bypass port?

Put your thinking cap on and help us all come up with a good way of distributing the boost better on these forward discharge SC's. Our front cylinders really do run leaner & meaner than the rest.

LOL nothing so well thought out in the flange i'm afraid John. My CNC dude basically stuffed up, but does me such a good price i didn't have the heart to make him do it again. The bypass port basically follows the mounting face of the SC (M122 off a GT500).

The reason for the 'plenum' is twofold. 1) A easy mounting solution for me and saved stuffing around sourcing another snout; and 2) raising the SC discharge port and bringing it forward should help with the cyl distribution. By how much only time will tell but as it's more like a front mount TB i figure it can only help and unlikely to hurt?

I'll mount a WI injector in that front angled face of the plenum and one pre SC as well to cover all bases :)

Needs to be running by 12th Aug for a track day...actually needs to be running well before that for tune and shakedown so the pressure is on.

I now have good distribution (all plugs look the same) due to the intercooler system.

If you could lift the supercharger up and put a flat plate under the discharge to force the air to to turn 90degrees then flow down into the manifold it would improve things a lot.

I now have good distribution (all plugs look the same) due to the intercooler system.

If you could lift the supercharger up and put a flat plate under the discharge to force the air to to turn 90degrees then flow down into the manifold it would improve things a lot.

I've lifted it 50mm Rod which has created quite a large 'plenum' void so just see how it goes...i'm just having a play and very budget constrained so it'll be what it'll be.

2010 John, need to get my skates on eh ;) Wanna take bets? :)

I liked Scotturnot's baffle plate idea from last year, and may try to do something similar before the next test.

It's good to have the confirmation from Rod that the intercooler core helped the distribution. Rod, do you have some pics of how the internals were arranged? I'm curious to see how the fins were oriented

At one time I had it in my head that the fin density of the core would have to be higher (tighter) up front than in the rear, to "encourage" the air to go to the rear, but perhaps it's just not that big a deal in the real world.

I liked Scotturnot's baffle plate idea from last year, and may try to do something similar before the next test.

It's good to have the confirmation from Rod that the intercooler core helped the distribution. Rod, do you have some pics of how the internals were arranged? I'm curious to see how the fins were oriented

At one time I had it in my head that the fin density of the core would have to be higher (tighter) up front than in the rear, to "encourage" the air to go to the rear, but perhaps it's just not that big a deal in the real world.

Rod's IC is a front mount remember John, the 'sandwich' plate diverts to an external FMIC and then back to Rickwood manifold...in think the side entry nature helps distribution?

Got a link to the baffle plate idea? i don't recall that

Rod's IC is a front mount remember John, the 'sandwich' plate diverts to an external FMIC and then back to Rickwood manifold...in think the side entry nature helps distribution?

Got a link to the baffle plate idea? i don't recall that

I'd forgotten Rod's was a FMIC; chalk it up to age & alcohol :)

Here's the link to Scott's "baffle plate" which isn't a baffle at all, but an I/C core + some channeling that he added (took out?) of the manifold:
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=88560&postcount=31

OK, so it's time to get all our synapses firing together, to come up with a good baffle design.

Thanks John. I doubt that would help my setup much to be honest. I could put a deflector plate of 'tang' as they call them in FMICs. In a FMIC you put a plate is along the flow path in an end tank that essentially splits it in two....then you just bend the end to act as a deflector at the point you need to direct more air at.

bad keyboard diagram

So you's split the air straight out of the SC so half runs under the plate to the front 4 cyls and the rest above the plate to the rear 4.....or whatever combo it needed.

Hopefully just raising the SC 50mm like i have done gives the air a bit more room to turn and helps even out the distribution? Time will tell....see how 'safe' i have to make the tune to keep det away.

Had a bit of a play porting the manifold this arvo. I didn't put a huge effort into it seeing i have no flow figures to guide so really just knocked the crap edges off and tried to open the corner ports a bit to better match the centre ones.,

My large die bit snapped in 2 thru the cutting head which gave me a bit of a fright
eek.gif

port1.jpg