Twin turbo UZ ST185

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Edz,

You're right.

To make the motor last that long was an excellent effort.

I have to put my hand up and say mine lasted less than half of that!

6.500rpm sounds a good redline for my new engine and in all hnesty I don't think my wife (Helen) will see the funy side of my next rebuild.

This one has been cheap but it does add up. I figure $5,000.00

I have and i'll be doing more as well. The sump in this is completely custom with a more confined pan and also some baffling to help counter surge. When running slicks i get down to oil pressures i'm not really comfortable with so i'll install an Accusump as well in the near future.

That run was on semi's so surge wasn't too bad.

Well after 5 hard years i've finally killed the wrecker engine stocker...it's been down in compression on No. for nigh on 3 years now but never really hurt performance. I didn't hear any det today at the track but i did bounce off the rev limiter a heap and the new tune and manifold has the thing producing power to redline so the 'flat' feeling i would shift at previously is gone....i'll have to start paying more attention to my shift light :)

Anyways, 3rd session it started pumping oil out the breathers big time...nearly caused me to spin. I reckon the ring land on No.7 let go big time.

It still idles and runs as smooth as silk...go Toyota... but as soon as you boost it gets massive positive crank pressure.

Not all bad as i ran a new PB :)

Now i have to decide whether to just chuck in another stocky or go to town with a mega build? i'm totally torn on which way to go???????

Justen, I don't know if I can speak for Rod, but based on my experiences to date with 4 major engine builds, and what they cost, I'd throw another stocker in there and go flog it some more.

An engine build is going to take you twice as long and cost three times as much as you think, or if you're lucky, three times as long and only twice as much. And there's only so much you can do on your own before you finally have to turn it over to the "builder" (AKA "The Black Hole"). And then you wait.......

These builds are so seductive in the way they can coax money out of your bank account. For example a set of titanium retainers is "only" $400 or so, and then to upgrade the valves from the standard to some sort of exotic unobtanium, is only $500 more. Copper Beryllium seats, bahhh, only $400 more than the regular ones. Then you can go absolutely nuts with the high performance coatings, and before you know it, you've got yourself a $20K build......

Justen, I don't know if I can speak for Rod, but based on my experiences to date with 4 major engine builds, and what they cost, I'd throw another stocker in there and go flog it some more.

An engine build is going to take you twice as long and cost three times as much as you think, or if you're lucky, three times as long and only twice as much. And there's only so much you can do on your own before you finally have to turn it over to the "builder" (AKA "The Black Hole"). And then you wait.......

These builds are so seductive in the way they can coax money out of your bank account. For example a set of titanium retainers is "only" $400 or so, and then to upgrade the valves from the standard to some sort of exotic unobtanium, is only $500 more. Copper Beryllium seats, bahhh, only $400 more than the regular ones. Then you can go absolutely nuts with the high performance coatings, and before you know it, you've got yourself a $20K build......

I hear you John and that's my fear...not to mention i don't 'need' any more hp for the track work i do.

Just so bloody tempting as i know what a built engine will do and would love to have a beast like that under the control of my right foot :)

I think he is at about the engines limits though ??
Forged assembly and be happy with that!!
Fit some valve springs, mild cam STOP !!!
I guess it the old .. Depends if you can sleep at night question ??
Whatever worries you ?? Then do it !!
These engines are getting older as well ??
Either higher miles or stored for some time..
Which can mean rusty bores !!

It was going nicely right up to the end.

The RX8 wasn't get a look in.

Now you can use all that knowledge you've stored up over the years to build a killer engine.

Of course the old engine was pretty amazing.

Yeah, it was touch and go whether i would build, repair or stocker. I think repair is still on the cards once i find a leak down tester and see if the engine is salvagable.....this will keep me on the road while i build the grunter.

I was lucky enough to have a few stars align which has allowed the grunter build to go ahead. Still a line ball proposition and i'll need to get fair money for some of the gear i will no longer need so see how it goes.

Damn that green grass over there ;-)

Here's the plan. I have acquired a freshly machined VVTi block, just needs a hone. My argo rods (thanks Rod) and a set of VVTi 10.4 ROSS forgies (Lex, help me out mate ;-) ). The short block comes with all ARP fastners so i just need to do the bearings and assemble (just yeah right).

Heads are a bit more complicated. VVTi UZ heads that need a freshen up. I think i will simply reuse the stock valves, i have upgraded valve springs. Minimal porting as they fow well already....just a tidy up with the flapper wheel which i can do.

For cams i want to ditch the VVTi versions. Coupla reasons. My ECU won't run them that well and i don't really need them for track work. I want to swap in 2UZ cams to simply things (HELP FINDING A SET PLEASE!!). depending on what i can source a set for i will then think about a mild regrind.

Inlet manifold will be custom along the lings of what i have been doing on my current engine....seems to work :)

and Ta Da i'm back on the road and boosting :)

actually probably not as i also want to do the clutch, the rear outer CV upgrade, tidy up the engine bay, install the Accusump, maybe tweak the dump pipe setup....hmmm that's about all :)

That pit is starting to look deeper already :) but what do you think of the engine plan?

Yep the KISS theory !!
I bet there's a simple way to activate VVT ??
Even if its done on rpm..
E boost controller possibly ??

My SM2 could do this easily....it could even do it a little smarter with a PWM table. What's really needed though is the feedback loop and the SM2 can't do that.

Based on the current engine, i just don't need it and ditching it to KISS is a better approach i think.

Justen,

Speak to David on a stock Toyota gasket set.

The cost of them in Australia is pretty stupid and he can ship to you for a fraction of our price.

I would recommend the Ross pistons. My rings were battered from DET with no damage the pistons themselves.

Yeah thanks Rod.
Lex has helped me out before so i'll be supporting the Lextreme shop for sure :).... i actually had the ROSS VVTi pistons in my cubboard....never sell parts :)