Twin Turbo 1UZ MKIII Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spd-dmn

Hi all,

First time posting. Here is a project we've been working on over the past little while.

The owner of this car wanted something a little different than what's typically seen around here.

The motor is out of a US-spec LS400. Chassis is a Canadian MKIII Supra.

It's still a work in progress but coming along quite nicely. All fabrication is being developed in-house at PUR Automotive in Toronto.

Mounts:

mounts1.jpg

mounts2.jpg

Exhaust Manifold mock-up (that's the steering column being represented to ensure adequate clearance):

headers4.jpg

headers3.jpg

headers5.jpg

headers1.jpg

headers2.jpg

On the car (whew! it fits.):

headers6.jpg

headers7.jpg

Collector:

collector1.jpg

Divorced turbine outlet:

elbow1.jpg

Turbos mounted (spec to follow):

turbos1.jpg

Exhaust bits (pre-turbo or "up pipes" if you care to call it that):

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

More soon!

Cheers,

Mike

Only reason I could think of for not reversing the pipes would be if the owner wanted to keep the PS pump and AC compressor in the original locations.

BTW, nice engine mounts and tubular manifolds! Will there be an consideration into selling these items in the future? What year is the MkIII and which transmission will you be using? What are the power goals? Which engine management system will be used? I see mentioned an LS400 engine is being used. Is the owner going to a dry sump setup, custom sump, or will you be changing the sump to the SC400 sump to fit the MkIII subframe?

man that car is gunna be monster truckin, I would destroy a 1" pipe if it where under my front subframe. and my car is still sitting too high for my taste.

My biggest concerns with that setup thus far is cracking of the pipe work... I dont see any forms of compensation for thermal expansion for starters. To add to this, how are you supporting the turbo??? Thats putting A LOT of stress on the piping and that u-turn section under that car it the return piping to the turbo is supporting the weight.. If you are supporting the turbo by some means, then this brings back the issues of thermal expansion.

Oh Jake, if you look at the under pics close enough, there shouldn't be any real ground clearance issues cause cause of where the pipe area.. They dont seem to be any lower the the chassis rails that run under the floor board.

Both previous answers re: the headers facing backwards are right on the money.

In the event that the owner would like to revert to NA, it will be easier. The owner also wishes to retain all the factory accessories i.e. A/C, power steering, stock alternator.

The turbos are indeed supported underneath by twin t-bolt clamps attached by an L bracket directly to the frame. Flexible joints allow for individual expansion of the pipe segments.

The engine is being mated with an adapter to the stock 7M 5-spd tranny. (If that doesn't prove reliable, it'll get swapped out for something else.) The sump, I -believe-, is from one of the pickup trucks.

The sway bar is upside down to facilitate clearance for both up pipes and down pipes. The shorter overall length of the 1UZ compared to the original 7M allowed us to mount it this way without interference.

Thanks for the criticisms and comments. Much appreciated. Keep em coming.

I'll be sure to put more pics up when I get the chance.

Mike

So where are you installing the flex joints? I didn't see them in any of the pics and all the forward piping looks complete hence my reason for asking.

Im assuming that your going to transistion from round to oval when going back under the subframe with the down pipes? Is it staying oval the rest of the way?

I like the oval pipe. I wish i had thought of that at the time i was doing my exhaust as may have made life a little easier.

Is anyone doing mufflers to suit yet? I have seen plenty of hotrods using oval pipe now so figure someone must cater to that market?

what 7m transmission the R154 or the W58? also chris and i both have 1uz powered mk3 supras.

Hopefully he has the R154 in there. I wouldn't trust the W58 with that amount of power. Just like Jake and Chris, I have the 1UZ in my MkIII Supra as well and love it. It was taken from an SC400 which has the correct sump location so no need to swap the sumps from another engine. Also drives the R154 which was previously mated to the 7M-GTE.

NICE work...
I am doing a simalar swop on a Supra MK2, but with smaller turboes, TD05-13G but my goal is only 400HP+
I have Newer herard about a W58 or a R154 gearbox that died...
A guy from denmark is doing 402m drag with a 1100HP MK3 on stock R154.
Is it posible with a picture from the front, to see the IC piping
Johan O R