Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
lil bit of an update, we did a photo shoot for Street Machine yesterday, we had been approached by them for a while but we didn't want to do anything until the car had proven itself, we thought it was time. we took the car down to Wollongong as they wanted the coal terminal as a backdrop, we found an old abandoned site. fortunately it was an overcast day which made taking photo's of a black car easier. the photgrapher Thomas was a real nice guy made the shoot nice n easy, he said the pictures are gonna look really good, he was very happy with them. he went for a drive in the car, was only on it's pump gas tune (700rwhp) but he left with a smile on his face. also big thanks to Steve from Peck's Towing, we were going to drive her down but Steve came along so we threw her on the back of the tow truck. here's a couple pics i took, far from professional

smshoot001.jpg

smshoot002.jpg

he wanted Joe in a sexy George Costanza-esque pose for the owner's car shot, it was hilarious we had to take our shot also
smshoot003.jpg

some nawty person left a powerskid
smshoot005.jpg

Project Seven or Project Beat John (our other brother run's 8.0@174 in his 2JZ Corolla) continued today, we are stepping it up. Joe needs to go a little faster, he is a bit bored with 8.3's so we have stepped up the rear housing we went from .63 to a 1.06, with these housing each turbo should be good for 700hp each, we were maxxing out the .62's, 1060hp at the engine. with these turbo's we are hoping to see a 30-50hp gain just by the bigger housings, we hope squeezing in another 5psi (30psi total) on the E85 will give us the extra 100hp that we need. going off the calculators we need 1200hp to just break into the 7's. we changed the housings today, because the housings are larged it just misses off the intake pipe. though we are going to change that so there is more clearance. car is back into Rigoli's this week, he will put in a new EMS CDI, the extra spark should help with the E85. we also need to setup the boost solenoid, the boost will sit at around 18psi while we are at the lights staging, soon as the transbrake comes off then the rest of the boost will come in. hopefully on the weekend she will be re-tuned.

Photos turned out great! That's a new desktop wallpaper right there, haha. Any indication as to how long before his feature hits the shelves?

Can't wait to see the numbers from the latest changes. Bring on those 7s!!! It's about time he got back into the APSA Top 10 again!

Photos turned out great! That's a new desktop wallpaper right there, haha. Any indication as to how long before his feature hits the shelves?

Can't wait to see the numbers from the latest changes. Bring on those 7s!!! It's about time he got back into the APSA Top 10 again!

thanks mate, i helped him with the flash but im no photographer :p he says will look good he got the smoke as it was coming out of the stacks behind, he said it will look really good. we have sent them all the details just need the writer to call n talk to him. were might wait to see how it goes on March 5th, if it cracks a 7 will look even better ;) i remember reading a few months back one of the writers was criticising 1UZ's, so pumping out a 7 with a UZ would give it back a bit. probably be sometime in the next 2-3 issues i'd say.

yeah, hopefully this time if he gets back in the Top 10 he can stay a lil while a 7 would sit him nicely in 7th or 8th so he can breathe a lil easier :p

thanks mate, i helped him with the flash but im no photographer :p he says will look good he got the smoke as it was coming out of the stacks behind, he said it will look really good. we have sent them all the details just need the writer to call n talk to him. were might wait to see how it goes on March 5th, if it cracks a 7 will look even better ;) i remember reading a few months back one of the writers was criticising 1UZ's, so pumping out a 7 with a UZ would give it back a bit. probably be sometime in the next 2-3 issues i'd say.

yeah, hopefully this time if he gets back in the Top 10 he can stay a lil while a 7 would sit him nicely in 7th or 8th so he can breathe a lil easier :p

Haha, job well done. It will be good to see the feature, should definitely get a few more people talking.

Yeh, be good to see him get up the list a bit further, show all those big cubers how it's done. So I take it that you guys won't be making the trek up this way for the shootout on the 12th?

it's been getting a bit of attention lately, cover of Dragster magazine a few weeks back, few lil bits in Street Machine, it's something different. we'd be driving down the street and people would pull up next to it asking if that is the Lexus one. it good to see people appreciate an engine not it's merits and not dismiss it just because of it's make/style etc.

would love to go up to Willowbank for the shootout, we will be testing the week before so it's still maybe just a little too early. definitely be at the Sydney shootout :D hopefully will be able to debut the Modular Daytona there also.

it's been getting a bit of attention lately, cover of Dragster magazine a few weeks back, few lil bits in Street Machine, it's something different. we'd be driving down the street and people would pull up next to it asking if that is the Lexus one. it good to see people appreciate an engine not it's merits and not dismiss it just because of it's make/style etc.

would love to go up to Willowbank for the shootout, we will be testing the week before so it's still maybe just a little too early. definitely be at the Sydney shootout :D hopefully will be able to debut the Modular Daytona there also.

nice work..
im going to WB too to help tune a car... will chew ur ear later

been hanging to get out to WB to race, alot of cars we have seen go their are ripping out PB's. we will eventually get there.

Definitely all well deserved attention too. It is a credit to you guys, getting out there, doing something different and proving a few people wrong along the way.

Would be great for you guys to make the trip up here. Would love seeing the Capri running in the flesh, not to mention the FoPar and your new projects once you get them going. Looking forward to the shootout this year, the last one was great and this one will only be bigger, plus I will be racing the Hilux at this one too, cannot wait! :D

Definitely all well deserved attention too. It is a credit to you guys, getting out there, doing something different and proving a few people wrong along the way.

Would be great for you guys to make the trip up here. Would love seeing the Capri running in the flesh, not to mention the FoPar and your new projects once you get them going. Looking forward to the shootout this year, the last one was great and this one will only be bigger, plus I will be racing the Hilux at this one too, cannot wait! :D

people are starting to notice these quad cam engines can make a bit of grunt, times are slowly changing.

once we get all 4 cars up and running we will do a lil travelling with them. we have the Capri, 4.6 modular Daytona, the 2JZ Corolla is running 8.0@174 we are going to spruce it up a little try and get it into mid-7 territory plus building a new modular MSB Capri later this year which should also run mid-7's. we are definitely flying the DOHC banner :p would be good to see alot more nu skool (quad cam) guys out there, Accufab is running 6.2@230 with there modular 4.6 quad cam u don't need alot of cubes these days to run mega quick, the heads etc are so more efficient. the OHC engines just love the boost and the revs nothing sounds better than a small cube DOHC V8 revving to 10k

how much power is the Lux putting out now? have u run it down the 1/4? be sure to tape it, not much drag strip action from UZ's on youtube.

people are starting to notice these quad cam engines can make a bit of grunt, times are slowly changing.

once we get all 4 cars up and running we will do a lil travelling with them. we have the Capri, 4.6 modular Daytona, the 2JZ Corolla is running 8.0@174 we are going to spruce it up a little try and get it into mid-7 territory plus building a new modular MSB Capri later this year which should also run mid-7's. we are definitely flying the DOHC banner :p would be good to see alot more nu skool (quad cam) guys out there, Accufab is running 6.2@230 with there modular 4.6 quad cam u don't need alot of cubes these days to run mega quick, the heads etc are so more efficient. the OHC engines just love the boost and the revs nothing sounds better than a small cube DOHC V8 revving to 10k

how much power is the Lux putting out now? have u run it down the 1/4? be sure to tape it, not much drag strip action from UZ's on youtube.

That would be great to see all the DOHC brothers out in full force, and needless to say a hell of alot of fun too! As we have discussed, it is only a matter of time before we start seeing more of these kind of engines, getting out there and putting down the power. Definitely agreed there, you have to love the sound of a fat, grumpy, big cubed engine but it's just something about that fine tuned, high revving V8 sound that is just so delicious. Possibly why I enjoy watching pro stockers so much, haha.

The Hilux isn't exactly a powerhouse, just a standard bottom end with a huffer bolted on top. But last time on the dyno it made 370hp & 500 ft.lbs at the wheels. Had it out to a test&tune a couple weeks back, only got a few runs but managed a pb of 12.04 @ 113mph which I am extremely happy with for what the combo is. Heading out to a couple more meetings before the shootout, should be fun.

That would be great to see all the DOHC brothers out in full force, and needless to say a hell of alot of fun too! As we have discussed, it is only a matter of time before we start seeing more of these kind of engines, getting out there and putting down the power. Definitely agreed there, you have to love the sound of a fat, grumpy, big cubed engine but it's just something about that fine tuned, high revving V8 sound that is just so delicious. Possibly why I enjoy watching pro stockers so much, haha.

The Hilux isn't exactly a powerhouse, just a standard bottom end with a huffer bolted on top. But last time on the dyno it made 370hp & 500 ft.lbs at the wheels. Had it out to a test&tune a couple weeks back, only got a few runs but managed a pb of 12.04 @ 113mph which I am extremely happy with for what the combo is. Heading out to a couple more meetings before the shootout, should be fun.

it's a pussy hair off an 11-sec pass, u won't find many true 11-sec street cars around :) can't wait to get them all finished and out there. next engine on the chopping block then will be a new Ford 5L Coyote.

the GT8 goes alright, what's the best ET and MPH? should take her out again heaps of meets coming up lately.

Last edited:
Best ET with the Nankangs on is an 11.7, with a 1.9 60ft. i did a 1.7 60ft later in the night so maybe it can reel off an 11.3 with the street tryes on. Best mph is 125 so it definitely has a 10 in it if i can get off the line.

The problem is the weanie outer CV spline. It's the original GT4 stuff and a major engineering exercise to change. As soon as i stick some MT's on there they snap....every single time :) haven't got one pass out of it with sticky rubber on.

The car setup is very much circuit so happy being able to put the power down well enough for mid 11's with cheapo street tyres :)

it's a pussy hair off an 11-sec pass, u won't find many true 11-sec street cars around :) can't wait to get them all finished and out there. next engine on the chopping block then will be a new Ford 5L Coyote.

the GT8 goes alright, what's the best ET and MPH? should take her out again heaps of meets coming up lately.

Yeh, hopefully I am able to break into the 11s by/at the shootout. Be a nice little iceing on the cake. Even though I never thought I would be aiming for 11s with this combo, especially seeing as it was only running 12.9s last time out before these last few modifications.

I tell you what, many of us may not have the budget to be able to build any of these toys like you guys are, but at least we can live out the dream through yous, haha.

Best ET with the Nankangs on is an 11.7, with a 1.9 60ft. i did a 1.7 60ft later in the night so maybe it can reel off an 11.3 with the street tryes on. Best mph is 125 so it definitely has a 10 in it if i can get off the line.

The problem is the weanie outer CV spline. It's the original GT4 stuff and a major engineering exercise to change. As soon as i stick some MT's on there they snap....every single time :) haven't got one pass out of it with sticky rubber on.

The car setup is very much circuit so happy being able to put the power down well enough for mid 11's with cheapo street tyres :)

Definitely have got to be happy with those sort of times from a car that can go around corners too.

Just goes to show too, how easy all these engines seem to produce the descent numbers with a bit of turbo forced induction. Still couldnt bring myself to stray from the brutal torque producing superchargers, I think I am just too old school to do that, haha. :p

Just goes to show too, how easy all these engines seem to produce the descent numbers with a bit of turbo forced induction. Still couldnt bring myself to stray from the brutal torque producing superchargers, I think I am just too old school to do that, haha. :p

You don't wanna see my 16psi turbo dyno graph versus the 16psi supercharger graph ;)

I'd still love to have your Hilux as my tow car/daily though, magic bit of gear.

Yeh, hopefully I am able to break into the 11s by/at the shootout. Be a nice little iceing on the cake. Even though I never thought I would be aiming for 11s with this combo, especially seeing as it was only running 12.9s last time out before these last few modifications.

I tell you what, many of us may not have the budget to be able to build any of these toys like you guys are, but at least we can live out the dream through yous, haha.

Definitely have got to be happy with those sort of times from a car that can go around corners too.

we been fortunate with our builds, what we can't do we know someone that does and they take care of us.

was a blown 1UZ that actually got me into my love for these engines back 10 or 11 years ago, 940hp on 20psi back then was pretty crazy, take off say 200hp for drivetrain losses 740rwhp@20psi would be close to what we make on E85 same boost using turbo's which have no parasitic losses like a blower.

ok, some good news and some bad news. we took the car down to V&E Rigoli, we had Vince install a new EMS 250mj CDI for us, we were going to start pumping some serious power and boost out of the car soon so we thought we better be prepared.

it was time for tuning as we installed the bigger exhaust housing on the turbo going from a .63 to a 1.06 but it sure wasn't the best day for it, dyno area was 35.5 degrees celsius and 27% humidity so we weren't expecting big numbers. the engine breathed alot better the idle was up 400rpm over usual. being so hot and dry we weren't expecting too much. the combination of the new EMS CDI and the bigger housings saw the little girl kept asking for more fuel, almost 20% more than the previous E85 tune, and that tune was on quite a cool night not a hot day like this.

after bit of fiddling around and the intake pipe blowing off on a 15psi run, it was time to turn up the wick, 25psi she rattled off an 810rwhp (605rwkw) 26psi - 833rwhp (620rwkw) and now this was were the bad luck came in. we completely forgot to get new springs we only remembered yesterday. being a Turbonetics RaceGate it's harder to find springs compared to the TurboSmart stuff, so we were stuffed. we couldn't get get to boost to go any higher than 27psi we wanted to go to 30psi, however at 27psi it made 867rwhp (646rwkw) the turbo's just wanted more boost, picking up 23rwhp then 34rwhp each lbof boost we went higher. the power was just waiting to come, unfortunately our bad memories let us down :yelrotflm needless to say we are still happy, considering how hot the day was, we think it should see 900rwhp (670rwkw) on a nice cool night, where it can use all that fuel. we compared it to one of the previous E85 27psi tunes with similar AFR's and well im sure u can see how much of a gain was made with half a psi less.

H1020001.jpg

because of the bigger housings the turbo's come on about 500-700rpm later. we stalled it up just on the footbrake and it seemed to come on just as fast as it did before, so we are happy about that. we were worried putting so much bigger rear housings on a 4L it will be very laggy. but it drives and feels just as good.

had we had a nice cool day and the wastegate springs, we are confident of seeing close to 950rwhp (710rwkw) on 30psi. Vince had some of his Methanol out, it was very tempting to just throw some in, and see alot more haha it won't be enough to run our 7-sec pass next Saturday, but we should run an 8.0-8.1@168+mph which will see us back into the APSA Top 10 for Modified Street Blown. this little 4L Lexus/Toyota engine is an absolute animal, as Vince and a couple guys said put a Manual or an Auto gearbox that has less driveshaft losses it would see at least another 100rwhp (75rwkw) at the tyres

a big thanks to Vince for his expertise in tuning and electrical work. also EMS for the fantastic 250mj CDI.

video of the Dyno Power Run
870rwhp 650rwkw 4L 1UZ 27psi E85 Dyno Run