Toyota V8 Powered Racecar

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Almac_Sabre

Hi Guys, I'm a new member from New Zealand. Thought you may be interested in a selection of images and videos of my Toyota V8 powered racecar.
Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey glad to see you join the forum here. I have my intakes and covers powder coated red just like your valve covers. It looks great! You got some good taste and have done a lot of clean work.

The Sabre is very heavy, 1150kg, but this is because it has been built for tarmac rallies (like your Targa Tasmania), and has to be extremely strong. Circuit racecars don't have to contend with trees, cliffs, lamp posts, rough roads, getting airbourne, etc, so can be built lighter. But it is still quick and competitive.

I've received a couple of e-mails from members about the dual intake system on the engine. Nothing particularly complex about this. You simply need two of the standard aluminium plenum intake chambers off the 1UZ engine, cut them both down the middle, and weld the two halves together ... voila, you have a dual intake manifold.

This system has served us well for the last 3 years, but has just been removed from the engine to be replaced by a new intake manifold utilising 8 separate throttle bodies. This, combined with a full engine rebuild and flowed & shaved heads, will give us another 25% more power over the existing engine setup.

Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator:
very sweet mate! what specs are the exhaust?

Kia Ora Drifty.

The exhaust system consists of HPC-coated, custom-made headers (unfortunately not exactly correct length primarys ... had to simply fabricate within the space available), and 100mm dia, stainless-packed Coby mufflers (running along each side of the car, underneath the side-skirts).

Nice 325i. Are you also a member of Bimmersport? My member name is 'John B' on Bimmersport

Cheers, John

Kia Ora Drifty.

The exhaust system consists of HPC-coated, custom-made headers (unfortunately not exactly correct length primarys ... had to simply fabricate within the space available), and 100mm dia, stainless-packed Coby mufflers (running along each side of the car, underneath the side-skirts).

Nice 325i. Are you also a member of Bimmersport? My member name is 'John B' on Bimmersport

Cheers, John

Sounds really good mate, same story as me, i couldnt quite make mine equal length headers ether due to space. so your running twin pipes all the way through? im prob doing a single 2.5 mandrel bend for mine

yip im on bimmersport, drifty340i is mine lol its a great site. what you got?

So your running twin pipes all the way through?

yip im on bimmersport, drifty340i is mine lol its a great site. what you got?

The twin pipes exit each side of the car, just in front of the rear wheels. Really tight for space, so haven't been able to incorporate a balance pipe between each side of the exhaust system.

Yip, like Bimmers too. Have an E46 328Ci (lowered on 19" wheels); a 1999 740i with the 4.4 litre engine; and currently working out a deal on an E46 M3 GTR V8 being built in Auckland (this will be used in the Dunlop Targa instead of the Almac Sabre).

That car looks like a cross between a TR7, S2000 and 914! Pretty cool. I am surprised at the weight, must be a fun ride though!

I know you mean about gearboxes. I have an R154 I consider myself VERY lucky.

That car looks like a cross between a TR7, S2000 and 914! Pretty cool. I am surprised at the weight, must be a fun ride though!

I know you mean about gearboxes. I have an R154 I consider myself VERY lucky.

G'day. The car needs to be strong (hense heavy) for rallying. The 6-day Dunlop Targa is tough on cars. We often get airbourne over humps (sometimes a metre high!), and there is a lot of rough (sometimes gravel) roads. For example, the extire flat floor / undertray is 5mm alloy ... a circuit car would only use 1.5mm.

Lucky Boy! R154s are now selling for $2000 ... if you could get one. A couple of days ago I was having trouble finding a W57 or 58, but that changed yesterday. After a couple of phone calls, forum posts, and search on TradeMe, I was suddenly offered 2 x W57 and 1 x W58 gearbox ... so I bought the W58.