Toyota Previa Swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone ever have done this swap? Right now they are pretty cheap and can obtain one for about 2-4k. I also found out it came with 5 speed manual as standard. Perhaps we can swap out the 2.3L with a 4.0L. Here is more information about this classic van.
1991-97-Toyota-Previa-92812141991102.JPG

1991-97 Toyota Previa: Highlights
Previa minivans went on sale in 1990 as a replacement for the Toyota Van. Previa had either rear-wheel drive or permanently engaged 4-wheel drive (All-Tracs) and were offered in either Deluxe or LE trim. The only engine was a 2.4-liter twin-cam 4-cylinder rated at 138 horsepower. A 5-speed manual transmission was standard; a 4-speed automatic optional. The Previa's engine was mounted below the front seats, but tilted to one side in order to provide a flat floor. It's accessible through a panel in the floor or from underneath the vehicle. Fluid reservoirs and other vehicle service points can be reached by opening the hood. Four-wheel disc brakes were standard on LE models and an antilock system was optional. A sliding right-side door and a one-piece liftgate augmented the front doors.

Year-to-Year Changes
1992 Toyota Previa: Previa gains a driver-side airbag, knee bolsters under the dashboard, and a center high-mount rear stoplight, becoming the first minivan to meet all passenger-car safety requirements. Among other changes this year, antilock brakes become optional on Deluxe models as well as LE models.

1993 Toyota Previa: Only minor equipment revisions are made to the 1993 Previa.

1994 Toyota Previa: Toyota minivans add a standard passenger-side airbag and an available supercharged engine for '94. The LE S/C and LE S/C All-Trac models arrived in showrooms in the spring. S/C denotes models equipped with the supercharged version of the Previa's 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine. It boosts power to 161 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 201 pound-feet of torque at 3600 rpm. Also, the previously available 5-speed manual transmission is dropped, meaning all Previas now feature the 4-speed automatic. Among the other changes this year are a new steering wheel, a pull-down strap on the inside of the rear liftgate, new front buckets seats with adjustable headrests, and a new front bumper and spoiler.

1995 Toyota Previa: The supercharged engine became available on the lower-priced DX model for 1995. This increases Previa offerings from six to eight.

1996 Toyota Previa: For '96, Previa is available only with the supercharged engine. As a result, the number of Previa model offerings shrinks from eight to four, with the DX S/C 2WD, DX S/C All-Trac, LE S/C 2WD, and LE S/C All-Trac making up the new lineup.

1997 Toyota Previa: Revisions designed to reduce engine noise and vibration are the main changes made to the Previa, as it enters its final year of production.

1991-97 Toyota Previa Road Test
Consumer Guide® is the only online source for comprehensive used-vehicle reviews. Our automotive editors evaluate a vehicle in ten important categories: acceleration, fuel economy, ride quality, handling, quietness, controls, front-seat room, rear-seat room, cargo volume, and overall value. The Consumer Guide® 1991-97 Toyota Previa road test gives consumers a quick snapshot of a vehicle's performance with pros, cons, and numeric ratings. Finally, we summarize the road test with our exclusive "Value for the Money."

1991-97 Toyota Previa Reliability
Consumer Guide's® editors help take the guesswork out of choosing a used vehicle with our reliability page. Our 1991-97 Toyota Previa reliability page includes common trouble spots, average repair costs, and NHTSA safety recalls. While no one can predict how reliable a used vehicle might be, it's nice to know what problems to look for and how much a typical repair might cost.

1991-97 Toyota Previa Prices
Consumer Guide's® used-vehicle price charts help you quickly narrow down the selling price for more than 500 used vehicles from 1990 to the present. Our 1991-97 Toyota Previa price charts allow you to calculate price based on condition, mileage, and equipment level.

1991-97 Toyota Previa Specs & Safety
Consumer Guide's® 1991-97 Toyota Previa used-vehicle review includes detailed specifications charts. Unique body styles are identified and key measurements include exterior and interior dimensions, curb weight, towing and payload ranges, and cargo volume. We also include engine specifications, fuel-tank capacity, and EPA fuel-economy numbers. Augmenting this Consumer Guide® information are NHTSA crash-test results.

1991-97 Toyota Previa Review
Check out the Consumer Guide® 1991-97 Toyota Previa comprehensive Full Review before you buy. Our expert auto editors have kicked the tires and slammed the doors on more than 2000 cars and trucks in the past decade. Our used-vehicle reports are the most complete in the industry. In addition to road tests, current prices, and detailed specifications charts we add repair costs, trouble spots, and safety recalls. Our road tests include real-world fuel-economy numbers, vehicle ratings, and overall value assessments.

this is a neat idea.. but honestly.. i dont know how feesable an idea it may be..
i've got a 4wd version and have debated a power gainer forever.. but a v8?!..
i dunno.. it just seems to me that there isnt very much room at all
i guess these thoughts will all change when i bring home a 1uz:D
we'll see how the battle goes once i've successfully put one in my 72 corolla
after that i may just get hooked

alright i just saw a toyota van with a v8?.. alright.. i dont know what to say anymore.. that pretty well shut me right up.. while it's a bigger van than the previa.. i dunno.. just seems a little bit of a tight fit.. but then again working on the previa period is a tight job
AAAAnyhow.. i'de LOVE to see someone do this.. and then possibly follow suit on my own van:D.. but first my mango gets fitted...

Fun,

Perhaps you should try it or at least take some pictures of the Previa so we can study it. Perhaps there is enough room for it. I dont know because I dont have a Previa myself.

99% sure it won't fit. The engine is sideways... and the accessories are run off a separate drive system. You'd probably have to make a "dog house" at the very least. I've thought about it... but it definately isn't worth it.

I have not take a look at the engine bay. Its too bad... otherwise it would be a nice ride...

Attachments

• HPIM0175.JPG
    HPIM0175.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 3
Well, you can still add a turbo... there is definately enough room for that. The S/C versions have quite a bit more pep. A T-28 would be perfect. Oh... 2.4L = Previa gets better mileage than my SC4

i dont remember these ever coming fwd only
i know for sure they came rwd and fulltime 4wd.. but fwd?.. not so sure
explain please.. cause maybe that transmission could be used in something else?!but then again.. if it was a good fwd tranny.. i suppose the mr2 guys would have been all over it.. hmmmmmm.. i definately need to get outside today..

Just do it, post some pics up of your progress. Ive thought about doing it myself as previa vans in NZ are very cheap. $500 to $2000
You will need to build a box over the engine and remount the front seats. My advice is to run a toyota Hiace gearbox, this way you can adapt the 1UZ straight on with a celica to 1UZ bellhousing as hiace boxes are based on the W series boxes.

My mom has a previa. When I was like...13 or 14 and didn't have my supra, I used to take that joy riding, it handled like **** and I was always scared it was gonna flip if I got hit. LOL

the motor lays right over on its side almost flat like half a boxer motor ,not enuf hieght in there for a v8 but you could fit a flat 6 subaru or a wrx 4 in there as uzz30 said

the motor lays right over on its side almost flat like half a boxer motor ,not enuf hieght in there for a v8 but you could fit a flat 6 subaru or a wrx 4 in there as uzz30 said

Think outside the square. Theres plenty of height, just need to remount the front seats.

Not to bring this old thread back, but I just got a 1994 or 1995 Supercharged version of this Previa. My neighbor gave it to me for FREE. The van is not running and plan to do something.

1. Get a used imported engine from Japan ($750)
2. Rebuild the motor with forges and turbo charge it.
3. If possible, 1uzfe swap.

What do you think?

Not to bring this old thread back, but I just got a 1994 or 1995 Supercharged version of this Previa. My neighbor gave it to me for FREE. The van is not running and plan to do something.

1. Get a used imported engine from Japan ($750)
2. Rebuild the motor with forges and turbo charge it.
3. If possible, 1uzfe swap.

What do you think?
You're really lextreme. You always come up with hardcore ideas. They're hard to break, though. I heard the SC Sienna has more problems than the N/A one. Hopefully, its engine is built differently and can withstand 7 psi of turbo/intercooler setup.

well.. i'm not gonna lie.. i like the idea of you putting in a 1uz in one of these
gets me a little curious.. i have a previa van but nowhere near the resources to do something of this magnitude.. once i've completed my current project i'll be looking for something else to put a 1uz in and well.. i've always loved the previa van.. hopefully even get it to work with the 4wd!
really though i'de settle for the rwd version if i had to
let me know how this works out
you've got more of the resources to do it than i do, that's for sure
this would be neat
good luck!
i'm definately routing for you!

Hey Lextreme I was searching for supercharger in regards to my project and saw this post. It's an old post but I have a 98 sienna and have thought of supercharging it.

My previous car was a v6 Solara with the same engine as my Sienna and at the time I had found that the same supercharger would fit both of the cars.

Anyhow just checking to see if you still have the supercharger for your van and might want to sell it if you aren't using it?

thanks,
bmack