Toyota 4Runner 92model with a 1uz-fe transplant

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Bhogg

Hi Everyone
I’d love to here what others have done to there V8 Modified 4Runners/4x4.
I’m hoping to get a few more ideas on what else to do on mine.
I’ve currently got a 92 model 4Runner with a 1uz-fe V8 with the auto
gearbox !coils in the rear, 1 1/2 lift , headers and a 2 1/2” exhaust with
high flow cat.
I’ve got the same engine in my Hilux but with the 5 speed box and it flies!.
But purchased the 4Runner with the 1uz-fe and auto but unfortunately it really lacks
the power of the 5 speed, so now rethinking things.
I’d love any ideas and experiences you’s have had.
Cheers

Which ecus are they running. The early ecu with auto are often underwhelming. The gen two are better. Also header choice. Often 4 runner are tighter so more restrictive headers are fitted.

Which ecus are they running. The early ecu with auto are often underwhelming. The gen two are better. Also header choice. Often 4 runner are tighter so more restrictive headers are fitted.

It’s just running the stock 1uz ecu and I’m running headers on it and it’s a 92 model 1uz engine as well.
Cheers

I was meaning more which of the stock ecu's was it running. If it is running a 92 engine there are a few options of ECU but I generally find they are pretty average. Autos do suck the power.

I was meaning more which of the stock ecu's was it running. If it is running a 92 engine there are a few options of ECU but I generally find they are pretty average. Autos do suck the power.

Hi

Thanks for your help and input.
Is there a way I can find out what ECU it’s running? All I knew that it was a stock one! But in saying that, this ECU is different to the one in my other 1uz! This one has some unusual Rev limiter in it as you can’t Rev the engine out of gear over somewhere around 3 grand ! Because if you do it cuts the Revs and it will just surge up and down only letting it Rev to a very limited amount of Revs.
So I’m not sure if that helps narrow it down?.

Cheers

The ECU has a number on it is the best Identifaction. Any chance it's not wired correctly with the strange rev limit? Hence causing poorer performance?

I’m not sure if the wiring is correct or not? I got told it was a Rev limiter to stop it being damaged? It only dose it in park or neutral as it doesn’t do it while driving! But I’m not sure as it doesn’t do it on my other vehicle. It was wired up by a professional that has done them engines before and makes and sell Modified wiring harnesses just for the 1uz-fe that have been all trimmed down so he should know what his doing I guess.
Cheers

I spend much of my time repairing wiring of these engine which isnt done correctly. I've never had one that does a strange rev limit in park or neutral once Ive finished. Without knowing which ecu it is I cant really guide you further. Id suspect it's got the early front sump LS400 ECU which has a 26P/16P/22P/26P ecu. These were prone to the rev limit issue when not wired correctly. Mind you yours was wired by a professional had hopefully is right even though it does a strange rev limit which your other one doesnt do.

I spend much of my time repairing wiring of these engine which isnt done correctly. I've never had one that does a strange rev limit in park or neutral once Ive finished. Without knowing which ecu it is I cant really guide you further. Id suspect it's got the early front sump LS400 ECU which has a 26P/16P/22P/26P ecu. These were prone to the rev limit issue when not wired correctly. Mind you yours was wired by a professional had hopefully is right even though it does a strange rev limit which your other one doesnt do.

Hi Gloverman

Thanks mate for your input it’s greatly appreciated!.
I thought it was a bit strange that it was doing this just in Park n neutral
and it happens at approximately 2700Rpm.
I’ve got no idea personally it was just suggested to me that it might be a
inbuilt Rev limiter protection? But I hadn’t really heard of that before but
I honestly have no idea.
As I’ve said it doesn’t seem to make any difference while driving,
But while saying that I recently had it Dyno tuned to check out
if my O2 sensor’s were in the correct operating range as it smelt a bit rich to
me, And the guy running the Dyno was a little concerned that it was on the
edge of a hesitation but doesn’t completely hesitate, and then when I expressed
my concern about the engine doing what it dose in neutral when Revved he
also thought it was strange but because he couldn’t find the data port he
Couldn’t get any extra information that may or may not have helped him
understand exactly what was going on!.
Do you know how to get the information from the Diagnostic tool? Remembering
that because the engine is in a different vehicle I don’t get any of the information
that would normally appear on the dash.
I’ve also included this photo of the wiring loom not that this will give you every detail you’d need.
Anyway once again I thank you very much for your time and help it’s greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 8E42C62B-F008-46AF-8AE5-D262098455E4.png
    8E42C62B-F008-46AF-8AE5-D262098455E4.png
    791.1 KB · Views: 12
The best way to get data from the ECU the communication port which is normally under the dash. I have an adapter which I wire to all the looms I do which allows communication to my scan tool and most of the time I modify the under bonnet communication port so it will work with scanners too.

Hi Gloverman

I’d been told that the early models never had a port inside as you had to take notice of the flashing of the engine light , and the port under the bonnet needs to be bridged with a tool or paper clip , but that’s just what I’d read and been told by the guy who did the wiring harness. Cheers

You have been told wrong about the inside port. Even the early ecus had it and it gives the best data from a scanner. Live data and codes. It needs to be wired correctly. Ive only wired a few though (few hundred)

Hi Gloverman

Ok well I wasn’t aware of that and thanks for that I’ve now contacted the guy about the wiring loom and about the data port and a Rev limiter if there was one installed on it or not. And hopefully I’ll get some answers as I don’t think the econ switch works either but I’m not sure how to test if the econ switch works or not?.

Thanks again for everything!
It’s hard to find good help these days.
Cheers