Timing belt

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

fastegg

Will be replacing timing belt soon.. On ebay there are a few that don't state what brand they are. Is it important ?... should I use OEM Toyota ?..Gates ?.. does it matter ?

Around 5-8 years ago, we had good reasons for buying only OEM or Gates as the fitment of the no name belts on eBay was pretty lousy, and their specs were in doubt as well. I remember purchasing an eBay engine overhaul gasket kit, and getting the timing belt and it wasn't even the right length nor did it have the right number of teeth.

It was plainly marked 1UZ, but perhaps it was for the 2UZ or the later 1UZ with VVTi.

Gates $48 and Dayco $60 no name $30... Might go the Gates... Same with cam belt too I think.. Gotta do the cam belt in 20,000km so I'll replace both belts.. Starter is clicking so I'll do that at the same time, think I'll use a recond unit $300.... Big major engine service coming up..... take a deep breath...

Gates $48 and Dayco $60 no name $30... Might go the Gates... Same with cam belt too I think.. Gotta do the cam belt in 20,000km so I'll replace both belts.. Starter is clicking so I'll do that at the same time, think I'll use a recond unit $300.... Big major engine service coming up..... take a deep breath...

Just FYI, the timing belt and cam belt are one & the same...... Don't buy one of each, unless you want a spare :)

There is another belt that drives the accessories; that's the serp belt.

I also note that there are a few TB complete kits with water pump, pulleys and what not. Some seemed to have a brand some seemed to be unbranded.. Does it matter ?... Does the TB need to be matched to the pulleys ?..... Should I use OEM ?

Assuming you're buying from eBay US, I don't know what freight & Customs will cost you to Oz, but if something in a no-name kit is poor quality or doesn't last, then you'll have to buy the "right stuff" down the road anyway.

If freight/Customs & the cost of your own time are unimportant, then by all means, give the no-name stuff a try.

But if I were you, I'd do it the safe way and buy OEM.

All the TB kits on ebay in Australia, most have a Gates or Dayco belt but everything else is unbranded. Where as ebay USA, the OEM kits look very comprehensive ($100AUD freight) and also include a serp belt which I thought was nice. An OEM kit including freight is $580AUD as our dollar is only 70cents to your $1... kits in Australia are $350-$470 but none are OEM and considering US ones include a serp belt I'll definitely go with OEM

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJCwFJgd,ft5UBScMt5Y3gw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqJHJCwFJgd,ft5UBScMt5Y3gw~~60_57.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 1
  • N-Power.jpg
    N-Power.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 14
  • s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 14