The latest news on Anthony's Twin Turbo 1uzfe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

VWTurbo66

Hi Everyone,

Anthony's car is finally street tuned. All the problems sorted out.... at last PHEWWW...

The results are somewhat scary... speaking from personal experience when Anthony took me for a lap around the block.

Running 6lb boost the car produced 450+ RWHP with wheelspin (on a Gtech meter, not a chassis dyno), so there's more there and its probably closer to 500HP. The intercooler is increadably efficent. At an ambient temp on a hot day of 34 degrees the air intake temp reported on the Wolf 3D was only 30 degrees.

So... The lap around the block went something like this. I first asked Anthony to take it easy. Then...

1st gear... vibration and a roar as the rear end breaks loose instantly. 2nd gear at 4000 RPM and more wheel spin thru 6000 RPM, 3rd gear still wheel spin to about 6000 again. Part way thru 2nd the car felt like it just started floating about a 1/2 foot in the air, as it began to fishtail left and right. That was the end of the first street. Left hand turn to lyons street, and then the same thing again... The diff gears are 3.???? something, so the rear wheels are doing close on 180 in 3rd at 6500 RPM

After doing a u-turn around a round-a-bout Anthony comes to a stop. There was not another car on the road. He hits first, 2nd and then 3rd with a foot on the brakes. revs around 6000 RPM. The car starts squirming forward and crab walking into the lane of the oncoming traffic just as a car rounds the corner... They pull off the road and start cheering just as the car starts filling with tyre smoke. As I said.. Its pretty scary.

With a set of slicks it will do 11's at a guess, and its definatly going to be breaking the 10 second mark once the new fuel rails are in and the boost is wound up.

So enter saturday night and the car is entered in the burnout comp. Shame it didn't win. My opinion is that the reason the judges didn't award a placing was that for after the first 4-5 seconds of the burnout, the car just isn't visable!

The car that won was a centura that has a NA 1uzfe engine.

A local camera crewman from channel 9 wanted to ride shotgun during the first burnout. Aparently thinking it was going to be able to be aired on the local news, but after about 5 seconds of the burnout, Anthony says he says shouting STOP! LET ME OUT! Most likely as the car started filling with smoke, and the 7000 RPM burnout in 4th gear kicked on..... losing sight of everything. It is one hell of a violent ride!

Last of all and what you'd been waiting for.... I've got the lot on video, so look in the VIDS page for a complete listing of all the vids.

PS: Anthony if you read this, i'll have a copy of all the fottage on DVD for you in a few days.

Enjoy

Ian Swinkels.

i can't believe anthony didnt win the burnout comp.
sure, the centura probly DROVE better with his circling skills (which were very nice btw ;)),
but the smoke from anothony's was about 8 times thicker imo!! 8D

I agree, but think it had something to do with the judges not being able to see the car.

Burnout comps here are judged on a few things.

1. Car appearence, which Anthony winds hands down as the car has won best paint at a few car shows, and the centura was in flat black.
2. smoke
3. sound - both cars are impressive in this regard.
4. driver skill. What kind of stunts did they pull off. Figure 8's, circles, speed etc. Staying on the pad as well without bumping the barriers.

Anyway, maybe next time....

I forgot to mention that they give big points for popping tyres, which Anthony did not do, but Brenton did in the centura once. Much to the detrement of the his panel work as it busted a hole into his boot from inside the wheel well.

As we discussed this afternoon they are going to have to drop the bonus points for popping tyres if they want decent street cars on the burnout pad, and not just piece of **** skid cars with old chev or ford v8's.

Another update....

I've just re-encoded all the video's and corrected the lighting levels so you can actually see the car during the burnouts and the overview walk around that I did.

At the moment the engine is stock internally. I'm not exactly sure of Anthony's plans with the car in this area now, but he has mentioned adding a set of forged rods and upgrade pistons. Don't know exactly when this is happening though.

Cheers,

Ian.

450rwHP with 6psi boost with stock motor...hmmm yeah right.

I suggest if you really want to know what the HP is take a trip to the 1/4 mile and drop the car on a weigh bridge. Takes all the wank factor out of it.

Dyno operators love to show how much power they have rung out of an engine during tune up by taking advantage of the correction factors on dyno's and engine builders usually need to be reallistic about what it really puts out.

The stock early 1UZ's put out around 170rwhp and the late ones 220?rwhp, that would mean that 6psi boost is worth either 230 or 280 rwhp depending which engine was used.

As for no lag, all turbo's have lag - it is a function of how they work. Drive a Big V8 with no turbo and a FI engine always feels lazy off the line.

I'll agree with Toranamat69. 450RWHP is HUGE I know of a couple of 9 second cars with this sort of horsepower. Still a nice conversion I can't wait to see videos of it at the drags.

The intercooler is increadably efficent. At an ambient temp on a hot day of 34 degrees the air intake temp reported on the Wolf 3D was only 30 degrees.

is the intercooler an air-to-air unit that isn't obeying the laws of newtonian physics, or some kinda refridgerant-dealy?

I think you guys should try this. stand still with a thermomerter in the shade on a hot day. read it. Then go for a drive and hold it out the window. The glass gets cold and the temp drops. The same hapens on the cooler. Put water sprayers on it and it gets twice as cool again. We are geting video fotege of it up soon.

ps Have run [email protected] and the car whighs 1175kg

needs cage and susption work. Bent the trailing arms.

10 second run on the 1st attempt
Congratulations
I cant wait to see what else this car has to give
Slight traction issue on the run?
Going off that MPH Im sure theres a whole lot more left in the car

Logan

V8Celica said:
I'll agree with Toranamat69. 450RWHP is HUGE I know of a couple of 9 second cars with this sort of horsepower. Still a nice conversion I can't wait to see videos of it at the drags.

450 engine hp is more like it at 6psi unopened. that figure is very possible with good tuning.
but 450 RW hp is about 600-650 at the engine - not on an internally stock engine at 6psi.

i dunno - dyno sheets stop the BS flag being raised though.

pro240c said:
i dunno - dyno sheets stop the BS flag being raised though.

nah they dont ... dynoes should be used for tuning purposes only.
say you get a mach truck on a dyno... it'll do what... 1200hp? (thats a guess, but you see where im going), and what does that tell you about performance....stuff all.

there is only one true performance benchmark out there... and thats official strip times. >:)

Had the car out for testing today trashed more tyers but had a heap of fun. I found some mates to get in the back to help traction. It helped the wheel spin but showed there is some lag till 3500-4000rpm. But it hooked up in 2nd stright away the pull is awsum. The rollcage and new springs are hear now and will be in soon along with the new sliks.I'm hoping for 9.90s with mor boost and tuning after xmas.

thefastj said:
nah they dont ... dynoes should be used for tuning purposes only.
say you get a mach truck on a dyno... it'll do what... 1200hp? (thats a guess, but you see where im going), and what does that tell you about performance....stuff all.

there is only one true performance benchmark out there... and thats official strip times. >:)

yes but we can add the dyno's result to the car's weight and come up with our own conclusions.

either way, post a timeslip or dyno sheet.

From what I hear we are waiting on the local dyno operator to get back from holidays. He's a little paranoid about his staff operating his dyno when there's a big HP car on it and he's not around.

When he's back there will be one more tuning session on the dyno, to see what the standard injectors are capable of. Then the fuel rail will be upgraded and injectors increased to 550cc and the boost wound up (don't know what too for this next stage, but probably 15lb). Then one more test and dyno tune session.

The forum will get postings of the sheets right after its done, believe me!

Cheers,

Ian.