The Fish

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
What tyre pressure did you run?

On street tyres, a manual box and a 2.92:1 final drive i still managed a 1.7 60ft. With an auto you should get me there :) I dropped pressures down to 18psi and gave the tyres a fair warm up skid :D

About 26 psi. I'm looking for some wider wheels to put wider tires on. I'm thinking 255's. I'm currently on 225 BFG's.

I went back to the 1/8 this past Thursday and ran an 8.79, pretty good improvement. I really think I would do MUCH better with some more rubber in the back, I can't launch anywhere near my 2800 rpm stall without massive spinning.

KC

26psi is waaaaay too high. Drop to 20psi and you'll pick up nearly 0.5 secs

I'm slightly worried about the tire coming off the rim with that low of air pressure!

I'll wait and see what happens when I get some more rubber in the back, then, I may just take your advice if needed. It would be so awesome to run a sub 8.5 second pass, in a Lexus, at a drag strip populated by rednecks! (no offense to any rednecks that may read this, LOL)

KC

Tyre will be fine unless you have really shitty rims? All straight line remember.

Mine run was down the full 1/4 so i was pulling 122mph through the traps with 18psi tyre pressures in my daily driven street tyres...no issues. You will have no probs at all.

we have mini's spinning the rim inside the tire because of low presure, I can't see it comming off though.

grtz Thomas

A few quick updates

Thanks to Scott, I have purchased a set of TT wheels, should be here Tuesday. I have also ordered 4 Sumitomo HTR III tires which should also arrive on Tuesday. 275 40 17 for the rear and 245 45 17 for the front. Again, best case, I'll be able to launch at stall with the throttle wide open. Hopefully with the 275's and the slightly heavier wheels (I'm assuming the TT 17's are slightly heavier?) I'll launch without spin.

I will likely be going to either a 1/4 mile track on Wednesday or back to the 1/8 mile track on Thursday.

In anticipation of being able to lauch at higher RPM, I finally decided to install the transmission fluid cooler I've had laying around forever. I'm actually using two coolers, the second one being the OEM hydro fan cooler that was removed. The fluid circuit is like this - transmission to OEM cooler in the radiator - to the aftermarket cooler, which is mounted to the front side of my intercooler - to the recycled hydro fan cooler, mounted in somewhat the same position it was originally, but on the passenger side - back to the transmission. Should decrease transmission temps quite a bit!

I'll update with some pics and new times soon, and, hopefully some track videos!

KC

Im about to finish my "fish" project and just wanted an idea of the daily drive ability of my 91' LS400. I have a modified exhaust w/ (2.5'' w/ Y pipe and 2.25'' from mid cat to headers. I will be using a centrifugal SC in conjunction w/ a 3000rpm stall TC. I wanted to know if anyone feels that this 2.5-2.25 switch using the mods listed will still give decent mid range power. I know 2.5'' is too bug but i will use FI and use half the 2.5 and half 2.25. any ideas???

Im about to finish my "fish" project and just wanted an idea of the daily drive ability of my 91' LS400. I have a modified exhaust w/ (2.5'' w/ Y pipe and 2.25'' from mid cat to headers. I will be using a centrifugal SC in conjunction w/ a 3000rpm stall TC. I wanted to know if anyone feels that this 2.5-2.25 switch using the mods listed will still give decent mid range power. I know 2.5'' is too bug but i will use FI and use half the 2.5 and half 2.25. any ideas???

I don't see you having any problems with your exhaust, but I'm not an experet. It sounds a little similar to my exhaust. Mine goes manifolds (don't have headers yet) - factory y - h pipe where the 3rd cat was - dual 2.25 back to a pair of small resonators - 2.5 inch back to a pair of Dynomax mufflers.

I have a 2800 rpm stall. My car is my daily driver.

KC

Attachments

• rollcage4.jpg
    rollcage4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 323
  • rollcage5.jpg
    rollcage5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 320
  • rollcage6.jpg
    rollcage6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 321
  • rollcage7.jpg
    rollcage7.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 318
  • rollcage8.jpg
    rollcage8.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 320
  • rollcage9.jpg
    rollcage9.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 322
Sorry to take so long to update.

I put on Supra wheels with 275 - 40's in the rear and 245 - 45's in the front. Went back to the track and I still can't launch worth a damn even with 18psi in the tires. I'm spinning the 275's by 2200rpm.

Currently keeping an eye out for some slicks..

KC

Couple of pics. Pic of car with Supra wheels. Pic of a very small sample of the rubber from the 275's!

Attachments

• rollcage10.jpg
    rollcage10.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 323
  • rollcage11.jpg
    rollcage11.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 324
  • rollcage12.jpg
    rollcage12.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 322
  • rollcage13.jpg
    rollcage13.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 322
  • rollcage14.jpg
    rollcage14.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 320
  • rollcage15.jpg
    rollcage15.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 319
The 2.25" dual pipe is so fine. I'm running that size with my single turbo with no lag. I believe it should be ok with your supercharger. With supercharger, you don't have to worry as much as the turbocharger.

thanks steve that was my thinking too. I have 2.5'' from mid cat back but the rest isnt finished yet, I want a half 2.5'' and half 2.25'' dual "Y". I can feel how it takes away from the low end but w/ 3k stall and just tweaking my kickdown cable fixes the lag very well. I know if I keep the 2.5'' all the way thru I would have a mean top end but not much else unless I start upping power over 500crank. I figure the end product is looking at around 12psi so that has to be high 300's right? I wonder if this dual sized piping will have a balanced flow capability with those numbers.

thanks steve that was my thinking too. I have 2.5'' from mid cat back but the rest isnt finished yet, I want a half 2.5'' and half 2.25'' dual "Y". I can feel how it takes away from the low end but w/ 3k stall and just tweaking my kickdown cable fixes the lag very well. I know if I keep the 2.5'' all the way thru I would have a mean top end but not much else unless I start upping power over 500crank. I figure the end product is looking at around 12psi so that has to be high 300's right? I wonder if this dual sized piping will have a balanced flow capability with those numbers.
If you have a supercharger, bigger exhaust pipes won't affect low end as much as N/A because you're forcing the air into the engine and make it work faster. 12 psi will put you in the mid 450 crank hp, and yes it'll be about mid 350 rwhp. I strongly believe your setup will be pretty ok in the high 500 crank hp.

So... since no one has posted much. If you could of done a few things differently.. what would you have done?

I know, I'm not getting much love over here lately. LOL!

Great question, I'll list a few things off the top of my head..

1. I would have replaced anything made of rubber that sees boost before putting the supercharger on. Vac lines, FPR, ect.

2. I would have blocked off the EGR before installing the supercharger. Stupid EGR valve!

3. I would have bought a bigger head unit. Not that I don't like the one I have but I think I'm pretty close to maxing it out.

4. I would have installed the bigger injectors before installing the supercharger.

5. I would have ran the piping the way I have it now. Also, I would have skipped the whole intercooler idea. I have actually taken the intercooler back out of the system, I really like driving the car better without it. My intake temps are on average only 20 degrees higher, I can live with that. I've spent more time screwing around with different pipe routings than I've probably spent on anything else.

6. I would have gotten rid of the MAF a lot sooner.

I'll think of more later I'm sure.

KC

I've decided slicks aren't really in the budget right now, but I do have a few things I'm planning.

I have front and rear Supra TT struts on the way. I already have swift springs and I'm going to purchase new strut tops / mounts.

I'm trying to aquire a TRD thermostat.

I'm likely going to purchase a 2.25 inch pulley which would be down from 2.41. Should be another PSI of boost or so.

My diff mounts are broken, I have a set on the way.

KC

howdy, i have been reading this thread so i'll chuck my 2 cents in...if you want to hook up try some of these:
1.weight transfer front to rear, which means fast extending front shocks eg 80/20's not 90/10's they are too dangerous on a street car.
2. softer suspension will help plant the tyres but it won't go aound a corner, you can't have the best of both worlds....
3.don't use low profile tyres, use a higher wall to help soak up some of the shock.look at dedicated drag slicks, no low profiles there...
4. pinion angle, i'm not sure if you can change it on those cars but 1-2 degrees helps(pinion down)
5. you can use lower air pressure, about 10-12pounds with a street tyre, use a second set of rims/tyres for your racing and bead lock them (run a 3/4" long "tek" screw with a rubber washer thru the rim and into the bead of the tyre about 6-8 of 'em. Unsure... google it.)
6. ride height, see"1" weight transfer...too low, no effective transfer.
7. sometimes not standing on the stally will help, ease the power in.
8. look at what the fast guys are doing/got, usually the older, quieter fella that's damn quick for some reason, he's been there done that before you.
How do i know this ,i have been "street" racing for years, in and around Sydney since the mid eighties, trying to hook up on "road" surfaces that aren't prepped for racing is very difficult.If all else fails give it a gut full of nitrous.....

Great build, i have watched this whole thing progress, it's nice to hear your after thoughts and what you would change. Awesome car, hope your enjoy it.

Attachments

• DSC00760.jpg
    DSC00760.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 16
Well it looks like my fish should be done pretty soon, just talked to david and its all ATI procharger baby! I heard great things about this little unit but wanted to verify if it "spools up" faster than the vortech. 3k-6k is the V-1 powerband, I want to see if the procharger kicks in any earlier. I was told that these are the best of the best but im still getting educated. Anyone know anything more about these units?

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted over here and I have a few updates.

I have installed the OEM Supra shocks along with the Swift springs. I have replaced my diff mounts, the ones in the frame. I have also put a 2.25 inch pulley on the Vortech. Have been to the 1/8 mile track a few more times and I ran the 1/4 this past Saturday.

I love the Supra strut / swift spring combo. The ride is nice and the car is lowered, but not lowered too much. The car handles much better than it did before. I had a few issues with the alignment but I managed to get everything sorted out.

I replaced the diff mounts the same day I put in the struts / springs. There's a special service tool for the job but it's missing in my shop. So, I dropped the rear subframe, chiseled them out and hammered the new ones back in. Not too bad of a job really if you have a lift.

After a bit of trial and error, I have installed the 2.25 inch pulley. The offset of the new pulley required that I move the supercharger a little bit closer to the bracket. On my first attempt at this, the spacers I used crushed when I tightened them. Long story short, the belt was toast after a week and a half of driving. I ordered some new beefier spacers and all is good now. After a week of driving and several passes down the 1/4 mile I have no evidence of slipping and the belt still looks brand new.

I don't remember what times I've already posted so I'll go over it real quick.

Best time after several trips to the 1/8 mile was 8.795. After putting on the Supra wheels, I couldn't get under a 9 second run and I couldn't pass 80 MPH. I installed the pulley, struts, springs and the diff mounts plus I removed the intercooler and some weight and ran an 8.859. My intake temps were hitting 195 degrees plus (it was 90 degrees outside to start with) and I had quite a bit of spark knock at redline in second gear. Needless to say I put the intercooler back in.

Went to the 1/4 Saturday. 90 degrees outside. Putting the intercooler back in was the only change I made. Best run.....

RT .027
60 1.967
330 5.687
1/8 8.686
1/8 mph 82.15
1000 11.306
1/4 13.498
mph 102.14

This was with a launch at 1000 rpm. I didn't get a chance to make a good run after this one, I think I could have pushed the launch a little harder and brought the time down a little bit more. I'm pretty happy with the time and I'm excited to see what I can do with more practice on a colder day. Also, I (fingers crossed) should be (finally) getting my headers soon.

Some pics..

1. Pic of drop. Not a great pic.
2. Pic of new spacers and pulley. Can't really see the pulley but it's blue.