Testing Leads

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rivmasta

Hey all,

OK, Im armed with a multimeter and want to test that all leads are OK. I assume Im testing for resistance - what should I be looking for?

Any help appreciated!

Riv.

WOW!!! Had some scary results!

On 20k setting:

both coil leads ok, about 5.5.
ign lead 1 - 18.95, should be about 5.5!
ign lead 2 - 6.xx about right.
All other leads were open!!!! busted!!!!
Got a set of leads off a mate that he's not using (gone to COP) out of his 8 leads, 4 were ok, rest were open!
So Ive ordered a set of magnecor leads - cost me A$310, much better than the A$445 quoted from Toyota!

We'll run this setup for a little while till Ive got the money to go COP using BF Falcon coils. At which point Im gonna sell the Magnecor leads.

Out of curiosity, what results have others had?

Most of the leads on imported motors are the originals.
Even if they are open circuit the spark will still jump the 0.5mm or so and continue down to the spark plug. Its also possible that while the lead was on the motor it wasn't open circuit, but as you removed/pulled/played with it, it broke down internally.
Its still a good idea to replace them though. TopGun, Eagle, and Bosch all make aftermarket replacements for about $250-$300.

The genuine Toyota ones are about a billion times higher quality than the rest though (not sure about Magnecor)

Replace the dizzy caps and rotors aswell if you haven't already.

The leads have been on and off quite a few times so anything is possible.

Picked up the new leads yesterday, will be putting them in and firing her up again on Sunday. :)

will do.

we used magnecor leads on both our 16 and 20v 4ag's. Never had any probs with them. much better than the eagles we had...

Sorry mate, forgot the pics, will take some next weekend.

Put in the new leads, cleaned the plugs and checked the gaps, turned on the batt, ign and pressed the go button. Had a struggle getting it fired - the zero throttle map was way to rich, no doubt not helpin gthe fouled plug prob! So i wound the throttle up a tad to avoid using the zero throttle map, (I didnt have a laptop to switch of the zero throttle map) and it fired straight to a high idle. All 8 cyls crisp and clean. Noice. :)

RE the leads, theyre 5mm instead of 4mm so theyre a bit of a squeeze to get into the tabs - alright under the rocker covers but the tabs above the cam gears required too much push and I didnt want to risk buggering the leads so I cable tied them down.

I'll wait till I get it on the dyno before I say anything about the quality. But its alot better than running with open leads!

Sorry mate, Ive been flat out on the car and keep forgetting to pull the camera out of the glove box of the ute.

Theyre a 5mm lead instead of 4mm so they're a bit tight on the clips! A little bit of carefull masaging with a dremel got them in ok - I was especially carefull of the ones over the cam. OTher than that, lengths were spot on.

Oredered them from Thundercords in Wetherill Park NSW - official distributor for Magnecor and good blokes. They make them on request, took 1 working day. Ordered friday morning, picked up monday arvo.

Ive used magnecor leads on the various 4ag's Ive run and never had a prob. And A$150 cheaper than toyota leads. Cant argue with that.

Ah sorry, I knew you had written some of that before. I missed it in the previous post.

I believe Magnecor have a local distributer. Might have to hit him up.

Ideally I'd like 8mm leads, as I won't be able to run the special spacing clips, so they'll all have to be touching.

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about that as Im not running the spacing leads in the cross over section.... Am thinkng I'll have to modify them for the 5mm leads and slot them back in.

Mind you, after fink we're either gonna go COP using falcon coils (no inbuilt ignitors though and has to be wasted spark) or LS1 coils. Be interesting to put it on the dyno after ign upgrade and see what happens.