teardown of 1100hp+ Twin Turbo 1UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
a bit more throttle response is what we are looking for, it's good now the car get's up on boost super quick, but, with a little more comp it should get up even quicker. 30-35psi, E85, 10:1 CR won't be an issue.

yeah still a stock oil pump.

Going up 2 points will make heaps of difference !! IMO
Get up on converter even faster !! Off boost also !! No down side the tuner knows his way around an 8860

Going up 2 points will make heaps of difference !! IMO
Get up on converter even faster !! Off boost also !! No down side the tuner knows his way around an 8860

it will be a new converter, it will be Neal Chance 100% instead of a Neal Chance/TCE hybrid, we think that is letting us down a little bit now. yeah, n Vince is a whiz with the 8860, there is noone better with it then him, so hopefully it's all win win.

thanks. they have a .065'' wall so if my maths is correct 1.37''

I guess anyone wondering how much power 1.5" primaries can support on this V8 turbo? Well, at least 1200hp... And you intend to use these for your 1500hp target? Fits in with one school of thought that suggests the turbine and housing are more restrictive than the primaries so they are rarely the choke point.

From memory I have 34.7 mm inside dia on my 330 Ford engine. Larger at port then tappers down.. The back pressure is in the turbines !! Keep in mind flow on each primary is not consistant !! They pulse big time !! Having large dump pipes help though !!

Last edited:
Agree totally.

So XR8tt is that 330 cid" If so you are running the same size primaries on a 5.4 liter Ford as Forar is on his 4.0 Lexus/Toyota? Very interesting.

Regarding backpressure the higher velocity (vs larger primaries) actually has lower dynamic pressure than the same mass flow at a lower velocity. Also a larger pipe has more surface area to conduct heat (also imPORTant in the PORT which affects cooling and coolant) combined with more time for the transfer to happen. I for one prefer the heat to reach the turbine rather than be lost to the port and primary.

Obviously it is possible to go too small but especially on any engine where boost response is important... too large is not helping anything... quite the contrary.

Last edited:
Yea check top fuelers exhaust in slow motion ? They deffinatly pulse one Big Bang every second engine rotation so there's gaps between each cylinder exhaust stroke. It's this size on each cylinder. Most std n/a exhaust is only 2 1/4 single taking all cylinders ..

1.5'' will more than likely be used on the new engine. 1.5'' should be more than enough for 1500-1600hp. funnily, we were discussing turbo manifolds on Thursday night with the fabricator. everyone has ther own theories and what should be done and what will work the best. the current headers are doing the job, they were just a set knocked up one Saturday afternoon in the garage :D they have been working thus far, but, they are far from a super efficient exhaust manifold, the new design we were discussing with the fabricator will be much better. will discuss that more when do a thread for the new motor build.

I would say the merge or collector could be better ?? Helps spool with large-sh turbo'd and takes advantage of any pulse at low-sh rpm .. Diamond shape inside collector keeps velocity of each cylinder ! My friend made his up this way on another 4.0 engine !! Trouble is we tend to do other mods at the same time !! Not easy to compare ? But going to larger turbo and spool is about the same if not quicker !! Had these discussions with Kyle ( 6 boost) years ago .. They make good manifolds .. $$ ..

Last edited:
I would say the merge or collector could be better ?? Helps spool with large-sh turbo'd and takes advantage of any pulse at low-sh rpm .. Diamond shape inside collector keeps velocity of each cylinder ! My friend made his up this way on another 4.0 engine !! Trouble is we tend to do other mods at the same time !! Not easy to compare ? But going to larger turbo and spool is about the same if not quicker !! Had these discussions with Kyle ( 6 boost) years ago .. They make good manifolds .. $$ ..

it could definitely be made alot more efficient, Kyle had a little look at the exhaust manifolds a lil while back, he said it works, so that's the main thing :) no real thought went into them, they were just knocked up quick so the car could be engineered, then a new set would be made. these worked well so we ended up keeping them.