Supra Vs. LS400 (95) Brake Upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Steve, no intent to dis' the SC at all, but only to point out that it really didn't get the best or latest parts that Toyota already had in their parts bins. And this was probably done for marketing reasons because this car just didn't need those parts in order to sell.

After reading David's chicken & egg thread, and doing some more searching, it also appears that Toyota could have, but purposely didn't give the SC300 the 2JZ-GTE (it was already in the high end Aristo since '91) Perhaps with the GTE motor, the '300 would have been perceived to be in competition with its big brother, the '400. But wouldn't it have been sweet to have had a factory "limited edition" SC300 equipped with the GTE motor and 6 speed, and spec'd out similarly to the Supra, but with all the creature comforts of the SC? That would have given the BMW "M" cars a run for their money.

Anyway, I think we've sidetracked this thread enough; apologies to you guys who really just wanted to discuss the Supra vs LS brake upgrade.
there is also the fact that Toyota was offering the 1JZ-GTE in japan and non-USA countries and didnt want to have to deal with conforming the turbo motor to US spec, and figured that the 2JZ-GTE would have been overkill for the clientèle they were aiming for.

remember, in Japan, it was a big luxy version of the supra, but still a TOYOTA, in the US, toyota was projecting a much more luxurious image with the Lexus brandname and decided that the customers it was aiming for didnt care about horsepower THAT much.

First of all this is about brakes comparason. The topic is totally derail like John stated.

To point out the fact sattara said the SC is the flagship of Lexus is wrong. Flagship is not always the most expensive vehicle that the brand have to offer. It usually is now a days. But it usually the Sedan that represent best company in luxury, design and Technology. The LS is still what represent Lexus top end car. The SC had always been over price and under deliver. Reason for so is Lexus don't aim to sell many SC. They know what the car is about and it stronger competitor. They rather sell less and make more profit. Lexus right now is about to pull the plug on the sc430 because it can no longer sell or match it competitor. To me I think it a right choice because the SC430 really kill it. I would take the look of the older SC anyday. I hope the LF-A when it come in sometime in 2009 from what I heard. will be the SC-F badge.

Lets get back on track of topic please lol....

When comparing I suggest looking at the Japan spec UZZ32 with EMV, hydro suspension, 4WS etc (the 32 is much higher spec than the LS400)
The US market only got the very basic spec SC models.
Back then I think the flagship was the UZZ32 but now it is the LS600h.

Back on topic!
I have the 2004+ LS430 big brakes to go onto my car at some point but I will likely use 334-355mm (to be detirmined by front to rear bias) front and likely 324mm on the rear.

...I have the 2004+ LS430 big brakes to go onto my car at some point but I will likely use 334-355mm (to be detirmined by front to rear bias) front and likely 324mm on the rear.
What car do you plan to put the LS430 brakes on? I always wonder if they fit the SC400 as well, maybe with some minor modifications. I think the LS430 caliper is larger than the '95 LS400 caliper.

What car do you plan to put the LS430 brakes on? I always wonder if they fit the SC400 as well, maybe with some minor modifications. I think the LS430 caliper is larger than the '95 LS400 caliper.
the LS430 calipers require fully custom made mounting brackets for pretty much any use aside from the LS430 itself.

When comparing I suggest looking at the Japan spec UZZ32 with EMV, hydro suspension, 4WS etc (the 32 is much higher spec than the LS400)
The US market only got the very basic spec SC models.
Back then I think the flagship was the UZZ32 but now it is the LS600h.

Back on topic!
I have the 2004+ LS430 big brakes to go onto my car at some point but I will likely use 334-355mm (to be detirmined by front to rear bias) front and likely 324mm on the rear.
the LS had everything available except for the 4ws, which it didnt really need it as it has the same turning circle (36.1ft) as teh SC of the same era (i compared 93 to 93).

the only reason teh SC400 was faster than teh LS400 was because of the much more aggressive rear gearing (3.62 LS and 3.92 SC) and of course the extra ~250lbs weight differential.

http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1993/1993LSspecs.pdf
http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1993/1993SCspecs.pdf

- Calipers, being locked in place in the wheel well, only affect sprung weight. The 10-12lb difference in total caliper weight between the TT and LS400 brakes would have the similar effect to having or not having your briefcase sitting in the passenger seat. Nevertheless, any weight savings is a good thing.

The calipers are unsprung weight, so any weight saving is well worth while.

Guys, one thing I'm still uncertain of - are the LS400 calipers a direct bolt on to an SC400/Soarer or do they need mods? And you use equivalent LS400 brake disks? What size wheel do you need? 16", 17" ?

Guys, one thing I'm still uncertain of - are the LS400 calipers a direct bolt on to an SC400/Soarer or do they need mods? And you use equivalent LS400 brake disks? What size wheel do you need? 16", 17" ?

They're direct bolt on. However, you'll need to cut the SC rotor dust shield in order for the LS rotors to fit on. You might or might not have to trim about 1mm on just a residual area on the LS caliper bracket (on the back) for it to fit on the SC knuckle holes. Other people didnt' have to do this, but I had to do it because my LS calipers had a rough edge around that area. When you use the LS calipers, you'll need the LS rotors and pads as well. It's easy. I also recommend you'll use the stainless steel lines as well. It's the cheap mod.

Wheels need to have at least 17". They have to be lower offset. I believe +35 and lower number. Also, they'll need to have a high disk fitment that has the great hollow area behind the spokes for the clearance of the rotors.

Calipers painted few weeks ago.... High Temp Gloss Black. SS lines will be made soon.

Attachments

• CIMG2591.JPG
    CIMG2591.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 106
  • CIMG2592.JPG
    CIMG2592.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 102
  • CIMG2593.JPG
    CIMG2593.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG2594.JPG
    CIMG2594.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 101
  • CIMG2595.JPG
    CIMG2595.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG2596.JPG
    CIMG2596.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG2598.JPG
    CIMG2598.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 105

You need 17" wheels with to make it fit. I recommend Supra TT wheels.
Fit like a glove just remove the dust shield. Here a pics of it on 19".

Thanks for the information guys. I've read conflicting information about just what you need to trim off the caliper. Casting flash, or rough edges I don't mind trimming, but I've read in other places that you have to cut the support webbing for the mounting tab. If that's not the case then I think this is an upgrade I'll do later this year.

I currently have Supra 16" wheels like this. I'd probably just replace them with 17" variants. They are the correct offset & width.

TO71.jpg

For the 1995 brake calipers and if you dont mind the stock look, the 1995 LS400 rims are oem to those calipers. They are not the best looking but they would fit perfectly. I have them on my 1995 SC400 and plan to install the 95 LS caliper in next week. The stock 95 LS400 rims are 16 inches.