Supercharger comparison. M112 vs TRD-2uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jake Breyck

So lets discuss the performance pros or cons between the Cobra M112, The TRD supercharger for the 2uz

I was planning on using an m112 on my 1uz but i just realized TRD made a v8 kit that i could use too.

please all the supercharger tech heads. lay out what you know on these 3 options.

I'm more interested in how these compare performance wise and not so interested in the cost differences or fabrication needed, sense both of those things are sorta case by case, so lets assume the cost is the same and the fab work is exactly the same. thanks.

The most important thing, is that the M112 is bigger than the TRD M90.

So, for any given boost, the M90 is working harder, which = more heat in the intake charge. More heat = less power for a given amount of boost.

7psi of hotter air makes less power, and is closer to knocking, than 7psi of cooler air. But 7psi of hot or cold air, still puts the same amount of stress on components.

If you argue that 7psi with a M112 makes X amount of power, then for example you need 8-9psi with the M90 to make the same. 8-9psi puts more load on everything, and will be closer to knocking. If that is ok, then you may as well go 10psi with the M112, and make even more power, and still not be as close to knocking, as long as the headgaskets/pistons/conrods can cope with 10psi.

You will be able to run lesser quality fuel, for a given psi with a bigger blower.

Bigger blowers

awe man i didnt know it was an m90 that freakin sucks, thanks guys, really woulda rather had a trd logo under my hood then a ford logo, the irony is i work at a ford shop. thanks.

well basicly im planning on useing an m112, and if the trd charger comparied to the m112 i would rather go that route. im not at all considering an m90.

I think if you can make an adaptor plate from the VVTi to Non VVTi head configuration then I think its easier but TRD charger is not cheap either. I think you can get good boost and cheaply charger from M112. Ebay sell them for around 350 to 450. I think John Cribb has one for sale. Perhaps Jibbby brought it. I am not sure. I would vote for M112 for cost and performance.

Ya, if you're not worried about sweat equity, the M112 is the most cost effective way. My 'kit' was $2500 plus shipping and that's considered a 'deal' . Used kits go for that kind of cash, so I figured this was an easy way to make it a go for me. I can always sell the kit once I get around to building an engine and sticking a whipple on it. :)

-B

eBay. Fuel lines needed to be modified, you need Tundra injectors. I welded quite a bit of material on the front of the charger housing so that I could flip the throttle body for additional hood clearance.

I have the 3uz throttle body, wiring harness and ECU here, I just need to install it to really clean things up. At some point, I'll have to put the AEM FIC on the car. I've currently turned the boost down to 4-4.5psi and install the fuel pump. I'm wanting more power, but the transmission isn't up to the task. Even with the shift kit, the 120k miles on the donor transmission just isn't ready. I've rounded up most of the parts to build another transmission, so that will be on the 'todo' list soon enough. Outside of that, the car actually gets better fuel economy on the highway and is a blast to drive.